Poor speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike65535
New Poster

Poor speed

I've been getting a lot of spinning blue throbber wheel in the evening east coast.  The service has gotten terrible. Makes watching streaming movies very irritating.

Speed test indicates <1.5Mbps

Unit rebooted several times

what's wrong?

4 REPLIES 4
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

In order to figure out what may be happening, troubleshooting will be needed on your part.  One of the things you should do is run some speed tests by following the procedure detailed here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

Please pay attention to the file sizes that are required, and how to post your results here. 

When the issue is happening, what is your modem's state code? To see the state code, go to this page: http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status and note the number next to "State Code."

I’ve run those speed tests.  I reported 1.5Mbps previously which I get regularly in the evening.  Not very satisfactory for sure.

Right now I'm getting >20Mbps ( not bad!)  and yet the spinning throbber circle appears regularly. No other users on the network. Watching Amazon prime on fire stick.  Is that a known problem?

It's as if someone is deliberately slowing me down, but my monthly Hughes plan just restarted so I'm not out of data yet.  Any other ideas?  

( I'll check out that suggested link, again, to see what else it wants me to try)

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Great, please post the URL to your MyResults page for the reps to be able to send it to the engineers.  

If you have good speeds but things buffer, it might be due to latency and congestion issues, but without your troubleshooting and posting results here and answering troubleshooting questions, it's anyone's guess.  

You could try calling the 24/7 customer service number and troubleshoot with them over the phone. That may be faster, as the reps here are only on M-F during business hours. 

You are only slowed down automatically when you use up your monthly allowance. Otherwise, no, but that doesn't mean you will not experience issues, as latency coupled with congestion can slow you down as well.  Note too that if there are many devices hooked up to your home network, they must all share the available bandwidth, which can cause slowdowns as well. 

EDIT: have you tried watching Amazon Prime directly on the website? Does that buffer too?  

Does the buffering happen at all times, or just at specific times during the day?

EDIT 2: Have you tried connecting your TV  (or the firestick, if this is possible) directly to the modem with a LAN cable, as opposed to using it with wifi? If you have, does the issue persist?

Hi Mike,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!