Private Router Management

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Seeker
Freshman

Private Router Management

Can anyone provide a logical reason for not being able to access your router without incriminating yourselves or attempting to direct the problem at another company? Excuse my annoyance with "the systems" mode of operation in resolving problems that can be purposely caused by others.

17 REPLIES 17
MarkJFine
Professor

Please explan what you mean. Of course you can access the router.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

If I could access my router, I would not have posted on this forum, Sir.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Are you getting an error message you could screenshot?  Are you using a third party router?

The message stated that the adminstrative password was incorrect.

It absolutely was not incorrect.

A microsoft forum user advised that I make sure I had the latest "firmware" for the router. since it was the vulnerable device hackers access as a gateway to "live hack" a system.

Seeker,

We'd love to help out. Could you please provide some screenshots of the message you're seeing, or the page you're accessing the settings on? Also, are you using a third party router, or the built in router with the HT2000W? We just need to get a better idea of how we can assist further!

Thanks,

Remy

@Seeker 

When you go to the Router Settings page, the default adminstrative password is 'admin'. Don't confuse it with the default Wifi access passwords which are usually also listed on the device.

That's why I asked for some clarification. There's a difference in the password you use to access the router settings and the password you use for phones, computers and the like to make use of the wifi network.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Remy,

I haven't had time to attempt a second router management log in. I've been fighting fires of incompetence and sleazy business practices all day.

The router is a replacement for the original HT2000W Satelitte Modem. I had already changed the password that originally accesses the router.

Thanks for your gleeful reply to snar the right ones.

GabeU

@Seeker wrote:

A microsoft forum user advised that I make sure I had the latest "firmware" for the router. since it was the vulnerable device hackers access as a gateway to "live hack" a system.

The HughesNet modem, as well as the router part of it, is a proprietary piece of equipment.  Any firmware update, or issue with the like, is and should be handled by HughesNet themselves, not Microsoft or any other company.  As well, anytime a firmware update is released by HughesNet, the update process is automatic.  Any problem arising from a manual attempt at a firmware update that is not under the explicit instruction of a HughesNet representative will end up being on the customer.  i.e. if the unit was bricked because of the action, the customer would be responsible for covering the cost of the replacement.

As Mark has stated, the default password for the WiFi settings of the HT2000W modem is admin.

If you're using a 3rd party router, please confer with the manufacturer of that router, though your fellow HughesNet subscribers here may have some advice, depending on what the problem is.

Plus, the modem is behind a double-NAT so it can't be accessed from outside the HughesNet network. Therefore, it can't be 'live hacked' unless you accidentally downloaded and executed a malicious payload from spam.

You're a nieve person. It was hacked and I will not argue a ridiculous point.

Ha, you can't even spell 'naive'.

I have permanent brain trauma, but at least I never had been stupid.

GabeU

@Seeker wrote:

You're a nieve person. It was hacked and I will not argue a ridiculous point.

There was absolutely NO call for such rudeness.  Mark was simply pointing out the fact that the only way your modem could be hacked is if there was malicious code downloaded to your system and executed.  There is no other way.  Hackers cannot find your system otherwise.

He's also far from naive.  He's quite knowledgeable when it comes to HughesNet, networking, the internet and computers in general.

@GabeU 

Never correct a man when he's projecting.

Not my walk in life. Issue resolved for now. Project on Professors

I'm most grateful for other experts, with no interest in promoting a particular company, providing advice concerning actual events that had already occurred in real time.

Thief of services was already happening when I became a customer. I do not enjoy arguing mute points, so thanks again concerning the firmware situation.

Regards

GabeU,

Thanks for letting me know the updates for firmware on HughesNet modems are automatic. No need for me to investigate being live hacked with Norton 360 installed on my previous new laptop at this location by a Geek Squad team member out of Macon, Georgia since downloading directly from the Norton website had been impossible using my private residential HughesNet service.

Best Regards to future investigators