Hughesnet Community

Problem....Mail quit sending 7 days ago.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KarenKlomparens
New Poster

Problem....Mail quit sending 7 days ago.

I haven't changed any settings for my mail, but it stopped sending emails a week ago when I use hughes.   If I use gmail account it works, only having issues when sending from hughes account.   I use outlook, never use the web mail provided by hughes since it is horribly slow and the top third of the page is a hughes header.  What has changed recently that would cause this?
24 REPLIES 24
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Haven't seen any recent changes. They do block the use of port 25 but that was some time ago But you may wish to see what ports you have in use..
Any errors listed?
KarenKlomparens
New Poster

Cant' get mail either using HughesEmail unless I forward it to my Gmail account.  Problem is Hughes is timing out every single time.  
KarenKlomparens
New Poster

It's been 110/25 for years and just quit 7 days ago.  Still sends and receives from gmail with those settings.   I just upped the time-out to 5 minutes and still won't work with outlook.
KarenKlomparens
New Poster

I'm on spaceway with a 9000 modem if that matters.
KarenKlomparens
New Poster

Odd that within a minute of your reply to this post I get an email from hughes to my gmail account with your reply, but outlook errors after a 5 minute wait.  Both programs are using EXACTLY the same settings.  I copied them from outlook to gmail when I set it up a couple years ago.  Both worked as long as hughes was working until just recently.  That is what is so puzzling to me.

horseys

It sounds like a false spam flag set at the smtp.hughes.net email server. Are you seeing error messages other than a 300 second time-out? Such as the "Server Response: 452 4.7.0 [F11-1] Too many messages sent" message?
Liz

Good morning Karen,

Thanks for posting. Please update your client settings to have port 587 as our outbound port. For more info please check this link:
https://community.hughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/having-trouble-sending-or-receiving-email-try-switc...

Let me know if switching to port 587 helps.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

desertphile
Spectator

"Let me know if switching to port 25 helps."

I wonder if that is meant as a joke. If it was meant as a joke then I guess it is funny, but twisted. If it was not meant as a joke:

1) It is not a port / socket issue;

2) It is a spam throttle issue;

3) All of this was explained above;

4) The spam throttle is located on your end, not the at the end of your clients;

5) The spam throttle is likely on your commercial anti-spam provider;

6) The spam throttle will not show up on the mail.hughes.net server because you appear to be using a third-party spam blocker;

7) All of the above is known to almost every Internet Service Provider on the planet except Nughes, and I wonder whu.
desertphile
Spectator

Did you see horse's comments? The problem is not with your computer. There is nothing you can change that will solve the issue.
desertphile
Spectator

"Problem is Hughes is timing out every single time.  "

Hughes has a router problem in Idaho: one of their telcom servers is down. If you go to a command line prompt and type in TRACERT SMTP.HUGHES.NET you might be able to see where your packets die.

By the way, Hughes custom er service / support has no idea they have this problem, and telling them about the problem is non-productive. Asking them to change their router tables to route around the dead server will be met with incomprehension: they have no idea how their routing works.
desertphile
Spectator

"It's been 110/25 for years and just quit 7 days ago."

Yes: it is not a socket number / port number issue: it is a spam throttle issue at Hughes. Sadly, they have no idea how to reset the flag. They also have no idea the spam throttle exists, which suggests they are using a third-party anti-spam service provider.
zilverfox

I am having the same [F 11] problem with my Apple mail. I have been sent up and down the chain of "technical support" and at my wits end. I've posted another thread on this a week ago with my SMTP logs in it which are "being reviewed." We'll see if they figure it out. I've done every suggestion in both the Apple and Hughesnet knowledge base from 2 years ago to now. Nothing has worked. I refuse to pay $69 for Home Tech Support when I know it is on their end. Maybe if enough of us give them the solution they can figure it out. UGH.
KarenKlomparens
New Poster

Liz, IT has ALWAYS been set at port 25, works to forward mail from hughes to Gmail but does not send from hughes using Outlook.  

I changed nothing, I did nothing and then last night...I added another email to the growing list that failed to send and tried to send them........and they were sent.   So yes....this is/was a hughes issue.  Desertphile is right.  It has happened before but usually worked a few minutes later....this time took 10-12 days before it finally sent them.
Liz

Hi Karen,

I'm so sorry, I had port 25 stuck in my head when I replied to you. I meant for you to try switching to port 587, as instructed in the link I sent you. Please let me know if you're able to send e-mails after switching to port 587.

Again, I'm sorry for causing confusion, I edited my original reply so that others aren't confused, too.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

desertphile
Spectator

". I have been sent up and down the chain of "technical support" and at my wits end."

Hughes customer support only follow scripts; they are ignorant about how the email servers work. The problem is that your email address has been put on a temporary anti-spammer list; Hughes customer support will tell you that your email address "is in good standing" but it is not: customer support is wrong. Everyone at Hughes customer support will insist it is your problem and not theirs. The problem appears to reside on a third-party anti-spammer service that Hughes uses--- and no one at customer support even knows there is that service in place.

Customer support assumes we are all morons who just woke up one morning and changed the email client settings on all of our computers for no reason, and without knowing we were doing it while we did it.
desertphile
Spectator

"I changed nothing, I did nothing and than last night...I added another email to the growing list that failed to send and tried to send them........and they were sent."

Yes; if you change the email address, and nothing else, in your email client then your emails will be sent; if you change the email address back to the blocked on, emails will not send.

As noted, someone fraudulently used your email address to send spam with; that address was then blocked at Hughes' end. Customer Support has no idea this is the problem, but it is. I have spend many days on the telephone discussing the problem with Hughes but, frankly, 90% of staff there have very little knowledge about how their systems and servers work.

It's a spam block. Good luck getting Hughes to acknowledge this fact.

On the plus side, the spam block gets removed eventually after about 31 days.
desertphile
Spectator

Replies can be removed by community moderators if they contain inappropriate content or private information.  Amanda, a moderator for HughesNet, gave this reason for the change:  spam

So, when I pointed out that the problem is the spam blocker Hughes uses, that's spam? Really? Good gods that's hilarious! My complaining about spam is spam..... LOL!
desertphile
Spectator

"I'm so sorry, I had port 25 stuck in my head when I replied to you. I meant for you to try switching to port 587, as instructed in the link I sent you. Please let me know if you're able to send e-mails after switching to port 587."

I suspect you might be learning impaired. The problem is *NOT* the socket / port number: the problem is the spam blocker Hughes is using.
desertphile
Spectator

I really hate being forced to diagnose HughesNet's tech problems, since *THEY* are being paid to solve them and not me. The problem is at the anti-spam supplier "Fortinet" which is using a "FortiMail" email gateway to handle HughesNet email. The spam lock is on that gateway: something Hughes customer support knows nothing about and can do nothing to solve the problem.
KarenKlomparens
New Poster

I changed NOTHING...not the email address, not the settings and it finally worked on port 25.  I will NOT change anything since it did finally send them.