That MAC address is my Canon printer connected to the router by ethernet cable on 192.168.1.102.
This is beginning to make my head hurt
Edit: This keeps getting weirder all the time. The modem still thinks my printer is my router even though it's been disconnected for an hour and the modem has been rebooted twice and the router rebooted once.
IIRC, the way the addresses are reported in our tool is based on the connected device. If the connected device is capable and allows for the device name/information to be displayed to the modem, we use a reference table of known MAC addresses matching their respective manufacturer. In some cases we can't make the match, so we don't get a device name.
In your situation it looks like your router is reporting to the HughesNet modem the first device in numerical order in the last octet (.102 before .32 because its ordering by the first number) or perhaps by LAN port order, or by order the devices were detected as connected (virtually, in this sense) by the router. I bet you could play around with connecting/disconnecting devices wired or wirelessly to prove or disprove how the router does its thing.
Well, this provided a nice diversion from the basic issue, which hasn't come up again yet. I think you're right with lowest number last octet observation. For some reason the modem stays stuck on the 192.168.1.102 device even when that printer hasn't been connected to the router for hours and when nothing else is connected to the router and despite the fact the router itself is 192.168.1.1. And even after a firmware update on the router. I guess it will stay this way assign a lower static IP OF .100 OR .101 to another device.
No amount of connecting, disconnecting, twiddling or fiddling makes any difference between the modem and the router. Neutering the wi-fi in the modem does nothing but give me the expected perma-state code. The only thing that makes a difference is wiring my main computer directly into the modem. Then the modem admits to being connected to my d-PC at 192.168.1.32 and the router while still reading the router as my network printer. Go figure.
But anyway, I always have a router connected even if you can see it from your side of the dish. Have a nice weekend old friend.
Well this is weird! Definitely going to play around with this as soon as construction in our lab is done. Seems like the modem is either failing or taking its sweet time getting the latest info. I'll leave your thread open in case this happens again. I had a good weekend, hope you did too. Spent most of it troubleshooting my home network. Android devices apparently do have a downside...
Seems like the modem is either failing or taking its sweet time getting the latest info.
Normally, this statement would scare the bejeezus outta me. Now that I have 10 GB of viable 4G LTE backup, I'm fearless
I just realized that my wording was not how it sounded in my head. I meant failing to get the info, not failing as in total hardware failure I've only seen one weird hardware problem with those (can't access 192.168.0.1, but can access 192.168.42.1) which is being investigated by hardware engineers here after I had the unit shipped in. Reminds me I should check in!
Last night I started having a different confict with Thunderbird and the microsoft mail services. This time it was on the send side with my computer mostly unable to pass the smtp authentication at the server. This was with all servers and all mail accounts. After more than sufficient twiddling around I could eventually get my mail to go though. I could ping all the smtp servers.
The problem persisted early this morning and continued when I returned to my computer this afternoon. In one instance I tried many times over several hours this morning to send a stinkin email to a financial adviser with no success. When I returned I tried several more times and tried all the tricks. No go. Other accounts were very problematic but not as bad. Again I could ping the servers.
After I enjoyed all of this nonsense I could stand, I rebooted the modem which had 6-something days on the clock since the last reboot. Once again, problem instantly resolved and has not recurred 2:20 after the reboot and many emails sent without issue.
Thanks GW, good thing we kept this open. I'll take a look at the historical data on the server to see what I can find before sending to network engineering.
The send started goofing up again this morning. After trying numerous things, I finally rebooted the modem. Instant fix. This also has to be a problem caused by Hughes.