cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kerivor
Freshman

Problem with Internet Speed and 5g

Hi,

I just had Hughesnet installed two weeks ago. The day it was installed the weather was cloudy and after he left it started raining hard. So while it was raining we used the internet which was slow enough that we had to pause youtube videos in low quality and let it load befroe we played it. The next day we thought it would be a faster but it was pretty much the same speed since then. Also the the 5g network disappeared. The first time we tried it I saw there were two wifi connections I could choose from, but at the time I didn't know the what the differnce between the two of them were so connected to "hug2g". Later when found I out the differnce betwwen the two I tried to connect to "hug5g" but my Iphone and laptop couldn't find it.  I was wondering if there is a way these problems could be fixed.

Thanks.

20 REPLIES 20
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@Kerivor

The 5G band disapearing is a known issue, and is being resolved by Hughesnet with a new software patch that should be rolling out soon. 

But in order to help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.  You should read the guide located HERE so you know how to properly perform these tests.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

@C0RR0SIVE

Can I browse around on the internet during the test ,or should I disconnect everything. Also should I disconnect everthing that uses wifi?

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Alright, here's my test results. http://testmy.net/quickstats/Kerivor

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Those results all indicate you are at, or above plan speeds...  How is browsing and the such on the machine that is directly connected?

Can you stream youtube videos with out issue when the machine is directly connected?

Another thing you should check for is that Youtube Videos are set to Automatic instead of 720P or 1080P.

Wow, that's interesting. My desktop is a Windows XP. Browsing right now is pretty good. Youtube Videos load faster than before, even on 1080p. I don't even have to pause it to let it load. I'm kind of confused why all of a sudden it started running really fast. It wasn't like this the last two weeks. Should I try it on a newer computer?

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I urge caution against Windows XP... It is severely outdated and beyond EOL...

Try the streaming on any devices you had issues with and see how they perform, and take note of whether you have that device on wifi, or directly connected.

Ok I'll try it on my laptop directly connected. It's a Windows 10. Also I have a question, if I wanted to get a new desktop should I get Windows 7 or newer? Would windows 7 be outdated anytime soon or is it already outdated? I'm kind of on a budget.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Win7 will be End of Life at the start of 2020, vista went EOL a few months ago...  You can't really purchase new computers with Win7 on them anymore, most machines ship with Win10 installed.  I personally prefer 7, but not much one can do these days about it.

Anyways, let us know how things go!

Ok my laptop on WIFI, browsing took about 20 seconds and watching a youtube video in 1080p I had to pause it often. On my iphone and tablet everything is pretty much the same as the laptop except vidoes didn't pause as much as the laptop, but maybe because the quality was 720p. When I directly connected my laptop browsing was about 10 seconds faster than on wifi and youtube videos in 1080p had to be paused often.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Kerivor, unless you disable the Video Data Saver option on Gen5, 720p and 1080p videos will pause to buffer.  You can disable the Video Data Saver option by using the Hughesnet Usage Meter.

You can download the latest version of the Usage Meter from http://download.statusmeter.hughesnet.com/HughesNet%20Status%20Meter%20Setup.exe

I downloaded the Usage Meter and turned off the Video Data Saver and the videos are loading faster and in better quality. Hope Hughesnet can fix the 5g problem soon. Thank you for helping resolve one of my problems.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Just remember, higher resolution (clearer) videos will consume more data.

As far as the 5G fix... it's supposedly rolling out slowly, beam by beam to all customers, it may take awhile to get to you.

Hi Kerivor

Just a question... when you try looking for the 5Ghz SSID, are you very close to the modem? Also, have those devices ever been able to pick up 5Ghz?  Glad to see you got one problem fixed 🙂 

Amanda

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Deleted by me (GabeU) due to incorrect info on my part.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@GabeU wrote:

@Kerivor wrote:

I downloaded the Usage Meter and turned off the Video Data Saver and the videos are loading faster and in better quality. Hope Hughesnet can fix the 5g problem soon. Thank you for helping resolve one of my problems.

Having the Video Data Saver off has no affect on videos and lets them run as they normally would.  When it's on it restricts them to 480P, and saves data compared to what the videos would, or could, normally use.  

Wrong...  The Video Data Saver option is actually intentional throttling down to ~1.5Mbps which is enough to let a 480P or lower resolution stream, but 720P and higher will buffer rather consistently. If you go to Youtube, or Netflix and set 1080p as the playback, but leave the data saver on, you will see tons of buffering.  It set to Auto, Youtube will detect the slower speed after awhile and automatically play a lower resolution.

Users are at full control of this feature and can disable it at any time.

GabeU

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Gabe...

When Video Data Saver is enabled this is what happens.

All video streams that Hughesnet can detect are artificially throttled to ~1.5Mbps, this causes the auto-functionality if built into a streaming player to select 480P or lower in most instances.

When Video Data Saver is DISABLED this is what happens.

All video streams are NOT throttled to ~1.5Mbps, this causes auto-detect functionality if built into a streaming player to select the highest resolution supported by the users internet connection.

There are users that manually select their resolution, and not all streaming players have auto-detect built in, it's not exactly a coincidence that his streaming started working...

GabeU

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE

I had forgotten about the fact that the Video Data Saver's default setting is ON, regardless of whether one has the Usage Meter installed or not, and is ON from the minute one has Gen5.  Downloading and installing the Usage Meter, then turning the VDS off from within such, definitely WOULD have an effect on videos that are being played in a higher definition, as the system would no longer be restricting the data flow during playback and allowing enough data to be utilized to play the video without the buffering that would have happened during the restriction.

I need to learn to read more carefully, and get more sleep.    

Sorry, Corrosive.  Please forgive me.  😞

giphy.gif