Problematic Speed Variance

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beastshade
New Poster

Problematic Speed Variance

I have had Hughesnet for about +/- 17 months, the last 6 have had inconsistencies with speed to the point of disconnecting my internet and making even browsing difficult. I understand that due to the nature of satelite internet, latency is expected. Long periods of time with over 8k latency though is a bit much by any standards. Also, my speedtests have shown pretty consistent low speeds. Since I've had some experience with internet services, I've tried to troubleshoot it from my end but I can't find a problem or even a consistency of difficulty to point to a timeframe or occurance which would help me narrow down the cause. Sometimes I will try to run a speedtest and it will simply fail so testing with any reliability from my end is problematic. I've seen speedtests as low as .24 Mbps from testmy.net and as I write this I did a speedtest with a result of 1.58 Mbps so I'm working during a good time.

The modem is not near a source of EMI and is well ventilated. I've swaped ethernet cables. All three of my computers experience slow speeds/latency no matter how they are connected so it's a universal problem, not confined to a single PC. Checked the modem and it did not detect any active connections beyond my directly connected PC. Several times through the day, I had to refresh my browser because testmy.net would time out due to latency/connection issues. The following are my results, the hourly average shows my nighttime difficulty.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/BSRutherford

Lacking the ability to test the signal from the satelite, there is not much I can do on my end now. I've still got a few months left on my contract but right now due to quality of service there is no way I can reasonably agree to use this as an internet option for the future. Is there something that can be done by those with the tools to check and make sure there isn't a problem with my provisioning settings? Has something happened to my satelite dish that I can't detect? Basically I'm trying to see if there is anything that can be done to prevent the continued decay of service quality and perhaps fix it so it can become a viable internet service.

EDIT: **bleep** got bleeped so I figured I typoed. If it bleeps it out again "I accessed my modem's diagnostics"

3 REPLIES 3
Damian

Hello @Beastshade,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue. I appreciate you for being proactive with your troubleshooting as you have allowed us to investigate more accurately and efficiently. After running diagnostics, it appears that the alignment of the dish outside is below standard. This is resulting in severe packet loss along with other issues that hinder service performance. In light of this information, I would like to send out a technician free of charge. The technician will be re-pointing the dish and performing other preventative measures to maintain the repair. Please private message me with days and times that would work best for you. Keep in mind scheduling an appointment for a specific day may be difficult depending on the availability of the technician. Because of this, I will review the schedule based on your answers and present you with the ones that match closest. Also, please include a primary email and the name and phone number of the person most likely to be there for the repair, in your private message to me. This person does not have to be yourself, but they must be over 18 years old. 

-Damian  

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Beastshade wrote: 

EDIT: **bleep** got bleeped so I figured I typoed. If it bleeps it out again "I accessed my modem's diagnostics"

Something's gone a bit goofy with the system over the last week or so.  It's bleeping things that shouldn't be bleeped.  Last week, for the life of me, I couldn't post something about the 5Ghz radio in the HT2000W modem.  Every time I tried it bleeped.   I've even had it happen a few times in PMs, and with one of those I actually took a snapshot of what I had written, just in case it happened again, which it did, but at least the person could read it from the picture.    

I hope they figure it out and fix it soon, as it's getting quite annoying.  Especially when posting instructions or advice to try to help someone having an issue.  

Damian

@Beastshade,

Thank you for your patience while dealing with this issue. Your appointment has now been scheduled. Please refer to your private messages for further details.   

-Damian