Problems after storm

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prsmart
Sophomore

Problems after storm

After thunderstorm a few days ago, i’ve Not been able to get on the internet. I have been working long days without much time to try anything. I have tried a hard reset, and hooking directly to the computer. It still won’t work. I’d like to see about any other suggestions, and maybe it can be checked remotely. Thank you-
16 REPLIES 16
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@prsmart

What do you mean by a "hard reset"?  

Hal
Alum

Hello Prsmart,

Thank you for reaching out to us for support, I will be happy to assist you! As @GabeU stated, what do you mean by doing a hard reset? Did you power cycle the modem or have you been pressing the reset button on the back? 

I have unplugged the modem to do a hard reset
GabeU

@prsmart

Okay.  So you power cycled it and it hasn't helped.  I would keep the modem plugged in, at this point, so that the reps can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment if they deem it necessary.  

In the meantime, while directly connected to the modem via Ethernet cable, are you able to get to the following page...   http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status

If so, are both boxes on the top of the page green?  Also, do you see a State Code listed in the System Summary box at the top of the page?  If so, what is it?  

I have a feeling that the storm may have done something, and @Hal is most likely going to check to see if everything is okay.  The above questions are what I would ask if a rep had not yet gotten involved.   You can answer them or wait until Hal replies.  It's entirely up to you, but it will most likely be Hal who will have to help you.  

Prsmart, thank you for describing that to me. The step you performed is known as a power cycle. After reviewing your account I noticed all of your WiFi networks have been disabled. Did you go into your modem's settings and disable the WiFi manually?

Yes disabled, as I already had my router setup.

Prsmart, are you connecting with a LAN cable to your router or to our modem? If you are having trouble connecting with your router, I would recommend to contact them for we are not able to troubleshoot 3rd party devices.

The modem is connected directly to the computer (via a cable) - I said that in the first message. I am unable to reach the modem from that computer-not wireless. I’m sure there’s some problem but was hoping you could tell remotely if it’s the modem or dish related.
GabeU

@prsmart wrote:
The modem is connected directly to the computer (via a cable) - I said that in the first message. I am unable to reach the modem from that computer-not wireless. I’m sure there’s some problem but was hoping you could tell remotely if it’s the modem or dish related.

I was hoping that, too.  

I still need some help with this problem, and hopefully will get something today...

I still have not heard anything more from HughesNet regarding my problem! I tried calling tech support, and dealt with someone there who can’t seem to understand my computer is DIRECTLY CONNECTED TO THE MODEM WITH AN ETHERNET CABLE. Wireless is disabled But I’m NOT TRYING TO USE WIRELESS RIGHT NOW!
My computer shows a cable is unplugged (actually my desktop & laptop both show this), even though directly connected to the modem. I am unable to reach the modem page or system control center address.
Seems to me that the modem may be the problem but I need to know how to get this fixed ASAP. I’ve Got things I NEED the internet on my computer for!
maratsade

I'm tagging a couple of the HN staff here:

@Amanda

@Liz

I am a long time customer of HughesNet. Starting tomorrow I am checking for alternative-which is only wireless, but it’s available. I can’t believe I posted here on THURSDAY, and no one from Hughes has helped yet. Even calling tech support was wasted time.
VERY aggravating & disappointing.

Hello Prsmart, I do apologize for the delayed response. I was in the hospital and was not able to come to work to respond to your post. I had seen Liz was able to get a modem shipped out to your home. Please wait for the modem to get there, then check to see if you are able to connect via LAN cable. Please message me back and let me know how the new modem is working for you once it has arrived. 

Modem arrived, and happy to report I have stuff working again. Apparently LAN ports on modem went out, and it appears it also took out the port on my wifi router that the modem was hooked to. Currently using Wifi on Hugesnet modem since unable to access my router. Strange that it managed to take out the ports, and apparently didn't do other damage to either the modem or the router, but have seen weird things happen. Just glad to get stuff going again as it was badly needed. Thanks to Liz again for getting the modem to me ASAP.

Prsmart, I am glad to hear your service is up and running with the new modem. That is quite odd that the LAN ports went out on the router as well as the modem; this might have been a power surge that caused the ports to go out. If you need any further assistance do not hesitate to reach back out to us!