cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems connecting to the iTunes store for music/app/audiobook downloads.

Problems connecting to the iTunes store for music/app/audiobook downloads.

Good morning! For about a month I cannot access the iTunes Store from iTunes, nor can any connected device (iPhones, Desktop) download anything from the Apple Store... app updates, purchased music or audiobooks, etc.

This is a 24/7 problem. Running Windows Vista, though this happens to all my wifi connected devices, iPhones, as well, and of course they don't connect through my desktop so it's firewalls, Windows versions etc. would not affect an iPhone connected to Hughesnet through a router.

I have reset my modem. I normally run through a router, but I have disconnected my router and connect my desktop straight from the desktop to the modem. I have disabled Web Acceleration. I've been checking my download amounts and seem to be far from maxing anything out. All of the above in every combination I can think of. 

I have reset Windows winsock, using the netsh command. Rebooted computer, Uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes. (Though again, no problem with my desktop would affect my other devices... I can turn off and disconnect my desktop completely, and my iPhones that connect wirelessly to router then Hughenet are still unable to connect to iTunes store to download apps, app updates, music, etc. Rest of internet on iphone; perfect, connecting it iTunes store, zip. iPhones will begin to download updates and music perfectly as soon as I leave the house and they re-connect with normal cell network (or other wifi networks.) But in my house, on my Hughesnet network, nothing.

I am running iTunes 12, the most up to date version.

Other areas of the internet are perfect--Gen 4 is working well for me. My only issue are music/audiobooks download.

iTunes has a Diagnostic program, and it confirms that my only connectivity issue is to the iTunes Apple Store. I disabled/tweaked/altered my Windows Firewall endlessly, with no success. (Plus, my desktop firewall would not affect my devices connected wirelessly to your modem.)

So that's where I'm at. Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5
New Poster

Re: Problems connecting to the iTunes store for music/app/audiobook downloads.

Robert Have you tried Disabling Web Acceleration in the modem?
Highlighted

Yup, tried setting Web Acceleration off, Web Acceleration on...

Since the problem affects my wi-fi connected devices, I'm thinking the problem could only lie three places: Upstream from me with my Hughesnet connection, or At my Hughesnet antenna/modem (and all I think I can do with that is switch Web Acceleration) or At my wi-fi router... a standard Linksys router, which I've reset to factory mode, have no security/port/name/anything alterations to from Factory Settings..

I have reset my modem. I normally run through a router, but I have disconnected my router and connect my desktop straight from the desktop to the modem. I have disabled Web Acceleration. I've been checking my download amounts and seem to be far from maxing anything out. All of the above in every combination I can think of. 

I've tried to strip this problem down to its basics.  I've completely powered down the Modem, the WiFi Router, and the computer.

Disconnected the computer completely. So there's no computer OS problems, windows problems, firewall problems, iTunes problems, etc.

Connected and powered up modem. then connected and fired up WiFi router, which has been reset to pure factory settings.

Fired up iPhones, each one separately. They find the wifi network, find HughesNet, get onto Internet fine---web pages, email, messaging.

I go to the App Store and search for apps. App store works great, I pick random free app. Try to download it.  Up to that point everything's looking good... but the download never begins.

Got to Apple Store app to download music. Can browse, sort, see Already Purchased Music, everything. Pay for a song, transaction goes through. Go to Downloads... and song is stuck, never downloads.

(All of the above mimics what happens on my Desktop using iTunes. Apps, music; everything works EXCEPT the actual download... iTunes gives a more detailed error message than iPhones do; the iTunes Diagnostic tool under it's Help menu says 'Failure to Connect to iTunes Store".)

Drive away from my house towards town, and bingo, as soon as I get on the cell network, or pause at a McDonald's free WiFi, my apps are downloading, my songs download.

So I've stripped this computer out of the equation, and demonstrated that my iPhones are wanting to and capable of doing the connection to the iTunes Store... but NOT when the connection is HughesNet.

My only hope is that one other user a year or so ago said their Hughesnet tech 'switched my Hughesnet connection to another satellite network' or something, so maybe that's a thing?
Alum

Robert,

Welcome to the community and thank you for reaching out.

Could you please post one of the following -  a recent case number or serial number of your modem so that we may look into this?

- Warren