Hughesnet Community

Problems with ATA this weekend

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mordacious

Problems with ATA this weekend

My ATA has been dropping out for no reason. The modem is showing normal as far as I can tell but I lose Internet connectivity until the ATA does a reboot and then everything is fine for a few hours until it happens all over again.

This has happened about 4 times that I am aware of since Friday, it started about 5 PM Friday afternoon it's now Sat 8:47 and I just got the ATA rebooted again. BTW the reboot does happen autoimatically, I don't have to do anything to force the reboot.

This is a bit of a pain as it knocks me out of the VCC and I can't work.

Can you access the ATA and check a log of some kind or do some diags? Wave a magic wand and make it go away! So far it hasn't bothered my other half, but if she gets dropped out of a phone call or off the Net I am going to be dog meat.  HELP!
62 REPLIES 62
Liz

Good morning Bill,

I'll look into this.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Mordacious

Just an update. It happened 2 more times on Sunday, that I am aware of, the last time being about 9:45 PM and as before the modem showed nothing.

I thought that perhaps I might be missing the modem dropping out but it takes at least 2 minutes for the modem to reset and when the interruption occurs I have all lights on the modem but the ATA is doing a reset.

Just thought I would give you a little more info. Don't know how much it will help.
Liz

OK, so are you saying that the ATA reboots on its own before the modem indicates lost connectivity? For any VOIP issues, we always need to check the internet connectivity first, so let's eliminate the ATA for now. Whenever you get the chance, please let me know if the internet still cuts out while you're directly connected to the modem. 

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Mordacious

I understand the reasoning behind this but in order to do this I will have to do without phone for at least 24 hrs. The redhead is going to hurt me. There is no other way to do this, is there?
Liz

No, sorry. Need to troubleshoot accordingly, I need to be sure the internet is actually OK before we start digging into VOIP stuff. We would have to do this anyway if I wanted to escalate to the VOIP engineers.

-Liz

Mordacious

As best I can tell this seems to happen between 5 and 10 PM (never have known something like this to happen on a shedule) and see if anything happens then. I'm 95% sure it doesn't happen during the day as I am on the phone and know when I lose the Net because I get kicked out of the VCC when the net drops.

The redhead takes a nap usually between 5 & 10 so I'll live to see another day
Liz

OK, I look forward to hearing back on how it goes.

-Liz

Mordacious

There were no problems while the ATA was disconnected, I lost the ATA again this morning about 7AM with no loss of signal from the modem.
Liz

I'd double-check your cables and connectors. Anything loose? Do you have another LAN cable you can switch out to test?

-Liz

Mordacious

Checked cables but the idea off a new one isn't out of the question. I think I have another cable here, I'll switch it out.

I understand the reason for all of this so don't worry about asking me to go through all the steps. I probably haven't thought of all the possibilities I'll work with you.
Liz

Thanks Bill!

Mordacious

Switched out the cable between the router and modem. But just FYI, this is the same cable I was using when connected directly to the modem. I'm assuming we are talking about the cable between the modem and the ATA, that's the one I switched out. I'll let you know if there are any problems.
Liz

Yes, I meant to change the cable between the modem and the ATA, you got it.

-Liz

Mordacious

OK lost Internet at 11:18PM. This time I caught the modem drop out.

The really strange thing was it took less than 1 minute for the modem and the ATA to recycle and the only light on the modem that actually went out was the system light. I tried to go to the SCC to see if I could find any errors but before I could get there everything had recycled. There is no weather in my area, not sure about my gateway.

Am I now qualified to start a post about how HN sucks????  LOL
Liz

Good morning Bill,

I'm seeing your downlink signal as being a bit lower than normal, but according to our diagnostic tools, not low enough to warrant a truck roll. However, I'd like to dispatch a tech anyway to be on the safe side. We need to be sure your internet is working; the ATA needs it. Honestly, I don't have any diagnostic tools for the ATA since it's a fairly simple device to troubleshoot. If one of the LEDs don't light up when they're supposed to, then it's defective and we can just replace it.

In looking at your account, I was reminded that I sent out a tech last August. I wasn't satisfied with their work and they were supposed to replace your coaxial cable. Did that ever happen? I'm not seeing it in any dispatch notes. If so, I will include instructions to have the cable replaced too.

-Liz

Mordacious

Sounds good. They did change out the cable last time.

Let me know when they will be out. I'm available 24/7
Liz

Your Dispatch is currently scheduled for tomorrow, Thursday Apr 14, 2016 between 8:00 and 11:00 AM. If something happens and you need to reschedule, just give us a call and reference this case number 49085031.

Please let me know how the visit goes.

-Liz

Mordacious

Thanks Liz, you're stellar as always.

If it's the husband/wife team I usually get it will go great.
Liz

Aw thanks. 🙂

Let's hope so!

-Liz

Mordacious

Liz, I just found out Cyndy has a Dr appointment at 10AM can we make this for sometime after say 1?