Hughesnet Community

Problems with ATA this weekend

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mordacious

Problems with ATA this weekend

My ATA has been dropping out for no reason. The modem is showing normal as far as I can tell but I lose Internet connectivity until the ATA does a reboot and then everything is fine for a few hours until it happens all over again.

This has happened about 4 times that I am aware of since Friday, it started about 5 PM Friday afternoon it's now Sat 8:47 and I just got the ATA rebooted again. BTW the reboot does happen autoimatically, I don't have to do anything to force the reboot.

This is a bit of a pain as it knocks me out of the VCC and I can't work.

Can you access the ATA and check a log of some kind or do some diags? Wave a magic wand and make it go away! So far it hasn't bothered my other half, but if she gets dropped out of a phone call or off the Net I am going to be dog meat.  HELP!
62 REPLIES 62
Mordacious

Liz,

Can you check with the engineers and see if they think there could be any reason connecting the modem to an UPS would cause a problem. I've been using the UPS with the modem for years without a problem but I thought I might ask. I personally can't think of a reason.
Mordacious

I just talked with the first tech that was out here. Apparently the installer that was out here yesterday only ran the cable... I ASSUMED he had connected it, but the other tech is on his way here and the impression I got was that the installer only ran the cable and he was coming to put on the connectors and hook the new cable to the radio and modem. He's on the way and should be here in about 90 mins so let's not panic yet. Maybe the job is only half complete. I'll keep you informed.
Liz

Hmmm, it's possible that a UPS can be the culprit in disconnects. Do let me know how the site visit goes. I'll go ahead and credit your account one month's service for the internet and VOIP fees ($89.94) while we continue to work on this.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Mordacious

Thanks so much for the credit. It will go far to sooth the redhead

I'll let you know when the tech finishes today.

How serious is the problem with the UPS? I've been using it for 4 or 5 yrs now. In case of a power outage I need to have time to save any work I have been doing, not to mention the power here is so dirty it isn't funny.
Mordacious

OK tech left a few hrs ago, replaced the radio as well. We now have new cable, new radio and a new modem. He left the ticket open and if there is a problem he is going to order a power supply and that will replace everything.

He hadn't even got out of the driveway and the modem dropped out. It's been dropping out regularly since. I've put in a call to him and when he calls back I am going to take the ATA out again and see if that solves the problem. I also took the modem off the UPS and plugged it in a regular surge protector but I'm still having the problem
Mordacious

OK tech left a few hrs ago, replaced the radio as well. We now have new cable, new radio and a new modem. He left the ticket open and if there is a problem he is going to order a power supply and that will replace everything.

He hadn't even got out of the driveway and the modem dropped out. It's been dropping out regularly since. I've put in a call to him and when he calls back I am going to take the ATA out again and see if that solves the problem. I also took the modem off the UPS and plugged it in a regular surge protector but I'm still having the problem
Liz

Thanks for the update. That's really great that the tech is offering to get a new power supply, because that's what we were thinking was causing all this. Although your diagnostics appear clear most of the time, occasionally we'd see high packet loss, and that's a sign that there's something up with the UPS or there's dirty power.

Lately, when you say that the modem is dropping out, you mean you're losing internet connectivity, correct? We'd like to make sure we're focusing on the internet and not worrying about the ATA right now. So I appreciate you testing without the ATA to see if there's any difference.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Mordacious

When I say the modem is dropping out I mean the lights freeze, sometimes it reboots on it's own and sometimes I have to do a hard reboot by unplugging the power supply at the brick. Many times all the lights come back on except the system light and I have to reboot a 2nd time.

I've taken the UPS out of the mix and I'm just using a surge protector.

I'm going to call the tech and let him know I'm taking the ATA out of the mix.

I've got to get this fixed by Fri, I have the midnight shift and have to monitor the phones 12M-8AM Fri and Sat.
Mordacious

FYI

I took the ATA out and within 3 minutes the Modem locked. Looks like it's the power supply.

Jim, the tech, has a new power supply and I think he said another modem and will be here first thing in the AM
Amanda

Hi Bill

Liz is in a meeting right now so I am looking at your system really quick. Can you confirm your network is set up this way, or correct me in the order according to how you have it

Modem > Connected to ATA > ATA Connected to Router 

Thanks!
Amanda
Mordacious

That would be correct

Liz

Hi Bill,

Thanks for confirming your network setup and for the latest up date on the power supply. We're looking forward to hearing how the new power supply and modem work out for you.

-Liz

Mordacious

It's got to work.... it's the ONLY thing left! LOL
Mordacious

OK, I now have a new radio, new cable from the radio to the modem, another new modem (changed today), a new power supply and new power cables and just for the heck of it replaced the LAN cable again. If it crashes now I say we start looking to see if aliens are using my WiFi to phone home.

This has got to do it, I mean what's left?

Thanks for everything. Hopefully we will be able to close this thread today. If I don't crash and burn between now and 4PM I think we can safely say I'm good.
Mordacious

There have been no problems since the tech left other than a brief loss of power which was electrical in nature, had nothing to do with Hughesnet. It was enough to knock me off line but that was because the modem is no longer on the UPS. Have not lost internet or phone in 4 hrs and that has been unheard of this past week.

Looks like it's been fixed. Thanks so much for all your help.
Liz

Whewww! So glad to hear that Bill. Thanks for the constant, detailed updates. Amanda and I are glad to have helped. 

Try to enjoy the weekend!

-Liz

Mordacious

24 hrs without any incident. I just wish I could put the modem back on the UPS or surge protector. We get power drops here just about every day and if it weren't for the UPS my computer would be rebooting every day and I would be losing data constantly. At least with the modem all I'll lose is the internet connection.

Could you ask the engineers if there is any way to safely connect the modem to an UPS or surge protector?  I've had 48 'blackouts' in the past 4 weeks and the input voltage from the outlet is 127 volts. With summer coming I can only see this getting worse.

This is the first time I've ever been told not to put an electrical device on any kind of protection and just plug it straight into the wall.

Thanks for everything again. Don't rush on this but any kind of explanation as to why this device is negatively affected by the UPS would be helpful.
Liz

Sure thing, I've sent it to my engineering contact. I'll let you know as soon as I get a reply.

-Liz

Liz

Hi Bill,

Just got off the phone with an engineer; we spoke a bit about your concerns. He reassured me that if someone has unreliable power, it's perfectly OK to use a UPS. Just make sure that the UPS battery is replaced regularly. He brought this up when I mentioned that you were using your previous UPS for the past 4-5 years. An old battery in a UPS could result in the modem not getting the power it needs.

-Liz

Mordacious

I change the battery every 2 years as APC recommends. Thanks for the info, I feel much better and will change the modem back to the UPS ASAP.

You're the best.
Liz

Very good! You're very welcome, we're always here to help.

-Liz