cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with ATA this weekend

Problems with ATA this weekend

My ATA has been dropping out for no reason. The modem is showing normal as far as I can tell but I lose Internet connectivity until the ATA does a reboot and then everything is fine for a few hours until it happens all over again.

This has happened about 4 times that I am aware of since Friday, it started about 5 PM Friday afternoon it's now Sat 8:47 and I just got the ATA rebooted again. BTW the reboot does happen autoimatically, I don't have to do anything to force the reboot.

This is a bit of a pain as it knocks me out of the VCC and I can't work.

Can you access the ATA and check a log of some kind or do some diags? Wave a magic wand and make it go away! So far it hasn't bothered my other half, but if she gets dropped out of a phone call or off the Net I am going to be dog meat.  HELP!
62 REPLIES 62

Re: Problems with ATA this weekend

Good morning Bill,

I'll look into this.

-Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Just an update. It happened 2 more times on Sunday, that I am aware of, the last time being about 9:45 PM and as before the modem showed nothing.

I thought that perhaps I might be missing the modem dropping out but it takes at least 2 minutes for the modem to reset and when the interruption occurs I have all lights on the modem but the ATA is doing a reset.

Just thought I would give you a little more info. Don't know how much it will help.

OK, so are you saying that the ATA reboots on its own before the modem indicates lost connectivity? For any VOIP issues, we always need to check the internet connectivity first, so let's eliminate the ATA for now. Whenever you get the chance, please let me know if the internet still cuts out while you're directly connected to the modem. 

Thanks,
Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I understand the reasoning behind this but in order to do this I will have to do without phone for at least 24 hrs. The redhead is going to hurt me. There is no other way to do this, is there?

No, sorry. Need to troubleshoot accordingly, I need to be sure the internet is actually OK before we start digging into VOIP stuff. We would have to do this anyway if I wanted to escalate to the VOIP engineers.

-Liz

As best I can tell this seems to happen between 5 and 10 PM (never have known something like this to happen on a shedule) and see if anything happens then. I'm 95% sure it doesn't happen during the day as I am on the phone and know when I lose the Net because I get kicked out of the VCC when the net drops.

The redhead takes a nap usually between 5 & 10 so I'll live to see another day

OK, I look forward to hearing back on how it goes.

-Liz

There were no problems while the ATA was disconnected, I lost the ATA again this morning about 7AM with no loss of signal from the modem.

I'd double-check your cables and connectors. Anything loose? Do you have another LAN cable you can switch out to test?

-Liz