Hughesnet Community

Problems with Uplink loss. Internet problems.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdayton1
Sophomore

Problems with Uplink loss. Internet problems.

This is another issue added to the list of problems, since I upgraded. This one I have been dealing with for over a week or more. I am having problems with "Uplink" issues.

I tried every thing I could think of before I wasted my time on tech support. I have already talked to support who where rude and dismissive and actually over-talked me and hung up on me (because they couldn't access my modem). I did get through to someone that sent a tech out, which was another waste of time.

I had my modem open so he could see the issues, he states he actually rebooted the system by accident and ran his test. He stated there was no issue and that his phone app would show it. He said he couldn't run it again as per policy. Blamed my issues on the new satellite and his other customers had the same issue. This was yesterday, New Year's Eve. He was here for about 15 minutes and I had no time to even load anything on my computers before he left. 

So here is my no issue so you all can see.
61 REPLIES 61
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

When you see this error what codes are listed at the top of the modems SCC main page ?

When this occurs what is you system signal strength?

What are the local weather conditions when this happens?

Have you checked what the weather conditions are at your gateway facility?

Have you checked for ice/snow build up on the dish surface?

jdayton1
Sophomore

All this information is since the last reboot done by the tech yesterday. All the information posted in my first is done with no router but connected directly to the modem. 

Here are a list of codes from the time of reset. (Actually all the screenshots above show the codes.)

Here is the signal strength :

Partly cloudy as of right now. There has been no snow (yet this year) or heavy rain recently. Its been pretty decent and warm.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

The "State Code Monitor" is a little more telling in that it gives number of occurrences, duration and time of occurrence.

Remember the weather between you and the satellite is important. Because your info has to travel back to earth so is the weather between the satellite and your assigned Gateway.

Example: I live in wet Michigan but my Gateway is located in Flagstaff AZ.

It can be real nice weather between me and the satellite but terrible between the satellite and the Gateway.

You can find your gateway location on the system status page:

jdayton1
Sophomore

Here are the state codes since the reboot.

The Gateway: 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Doing a modem reboot wipes the error codes so its a good idea to review them before rebooting.

You have only had one "condition" set since your last reboot, that being a LAN disconnect. A single instance lasting a total of 10 seconds. This can be cause by disconnection the Ethernet cable from the rear of the modem or the result of a "blink" while the modem and router reestablish a new IP lease.

Your Gateway location is SLC, Salt Lake City UT.

Remember the connection between the Gateway and the satellite is just as important as the connection between your terminal and the satellite.

We will have to let a little more history develop. Keep in mind that the modem is somewhat "chatty", it logs everything. Most "conditions" are transitory in nature and not all the conditions are a "root cause" but instead are the result of something else.

jdayton1
Sophomore

All that information from before is saved in the archives, as seen below. If Tech support wanted to, they could have always look at this. Which I asked them to multiple times. 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

It will be Monday, possibly Tuesday before the corporate level forum Mods return to work due to the holiday.

I'm sure they will run remote diagnostics on your system. It may be helpful to post a case number from a previous phone support call or the serial number from the sticker on the bottom or rear of your modem.

Please don't post your SAN (starts with DSSxxxxxxx in most cases) or any personally identifiable information such as phone number or email address as this is a public website.

jdayton1
Sophomore

Each Diagnostics has a code with it also, from the one I posted it is;

Uplink State Codes:

12.3.2 [Invalid timing packet information] occurred for 21 seconds
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Those are individual codes.

Those are not necessarily "root causes" but the byproduct of other logged conditions.

Liz

Good morning jdayton1,

Welcome and thanks for posting, we'd like to help address your concerns. I pulled up your account and ran diagnostics on your site; all looks fine right now. 

Please describe your current browsing experience, are you losing connectivity or are all websites loading slowly?

Does this also happen while directly connected to the HughesNet modem?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

jdayton1
Sophomore

Hello,
I have not had a chance to get back to you till today (which worked out for the better).

My problems had gotten better about 9:30 on Tuesday, it seems as someone showed up to work after the holidays. It was so bad during the up to that point, only one person could be on just browsing the web.

My test where done with and without a router (multiple ones).

This would happen when my wife would be browser or playing a browser game, or my son watching a video or one of us playing an online game. 

I have always had problems, but this is a new one. It started before Christmas; So about 11 days of with almost no internet. Horrible customer service with being hung up on while asking for information (you can check you tapes for that). To service call that did nothing except reboot my modem, and tested it on his app as soon as it was done and left about 15 minutes since he got here.

It got better when you all returned to work. It stayed pretty much ok until this afternoon. 

If I want to play a game or browse the internet when someone else is online I should not have an issue, which I did not have before this started. 

Here is the last hour.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I can't comment on the uplink errors, but, the entire duration of time that you was talking about, most kids was at home, and the system has a limited capacity.  It will always bog down during holidays because of everyone in the country trying to get online.  It's not that Hughesnet magically fixed your pipe that day, it's that pretty much all those kids went to school, and parents had to start going back to work if they had time off.
Liz

Good morning jdayton1, 

Thank you for this update. I'm glad to hear your system performance has improved. C0RR0SIVE is correct. The holidays tend to see more usage and that congestion can cause uplink errors. My fellow mod Amanda also noticed some state codes that support this. 

This was a bit of a more severe case, and I do apologize for that; I understand how that's frustrating, especially during the holiday season. For your trouble, I've credited your account. 

If you have additional concerns, feel free to drop by the community again.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

jdayton1
Sophomore

I do understand about what happens during the holidays. I have been dealing with Hughesnet for 6 years. This is nothing anywhere comparable to any other holiday. Maybe part of this had to do with larger traffic, but that is nonsense if you believe that would be the problem.

If I couldn't use the internet or only one person on at a time could. Then I believe there is more of a problem. If is ok for you not to be able to use what you pay for, fine pay mine to (regards to other posters) If it was the kids and parents this would not have been happening in the middle of the night and would have been back to normal before 9:30 or 10 in the morning.

I am still having issues. I posted plenty of information but no one seems to read it all. The issues is still here but not as bad.

Everyone that comes here is not a new user as you champions like to think. I have not posted on here before and only dealt with phone reps.

I will continue to post until this problem is resolved. But please don't think all posters with problem do not have a clue.
jdayton1
Sophomore

This is the last hour.

jdayton1
Sophomore

Here is my last hour, haven't been able to do anything for the last 40 minutes.

jdayton1
Sophomore

And another hour of non-issue.

jdayton1
Sophomore

Last one for the night. Just showing that this is a consistent problem.

jdayton1
Sophomore

Here is from 5:00 am to 6:00 am. 

jdayton1
Sophomore

So I ended up resetting the modem again as I couldn't do anything. It did not help. Here are some more pictures of my internet working as intended (hopefully you don't believe that).

Here is since the modem restart.

Here is the last hour.