cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QoS (Quality of Service) settings on the WiFi router

QoS (Quality of Service) settings on the WiFi router

I don't see any postings about QoS (Quality of Service) settings on the WiFi router. Might we all be better off is we could routinely stream movies and TV content at SD (Standard Definition) rather than HD? I certainly would! I know that my WiFi modem can throttle back on speed via the QoS setting. Has anyone tried this? Does it work?
3 REPLIES 3

Re: QoS (Quality of Service) settings on the WiFi router

Hello Berkshire Boy,

Good question! While this is something I'd recommend to someone with a common landline (or maybe not even..), satellite internet can have too many fluctuations to properly set up QoS and could result in even worse performance. Lately, routers have been shipping with Intelligent QoS - which can do more harm than good on satellite. And since much of the prioritization done on this is determined by latency sensitive and non latency sensitive, I'd assume the whole thing would be confused itself when it realizes all traffic on the system is subjected to the same latency and cannot be distinguished. I'm sure some of our community members can chip in a little information, but that is just my $0.02 Smiley Happy

Amanda
Associate Professor

QoS is just not something that is going to be beneficial, it can harm satellite internet connections, and with landline connections, well, I have seen many consumer grade routers that have very basic QoS controls mess up so badly that they start dropping data.  That aside, inbound QoS is pointless to attempt to control on any and all connections (unless you are a corporate agency and have some seriously nice hardware to play with), it's the outbound that might help, but because of the slow upload as is on Hughesnet, AND the latency, it's just not going to be worth it.
Assistant Professor

As far as streaming SD from a service like Netflix, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you're not over data limit, the system is working properly and is not severely overloaded due to prime time and holidays. QoS will not benefit streaming in any way from my experience. Do keep in mind that streaming more more than one device at a time will have a negative impact as the bandwidth is shared by all devices using the connection.

Also with WiFi the further away you are from the router, the signal gets weaker and the speed decreases.