Hughesnet Community

Question Regarding Usage Comparison of Hughesnet vs Glasswire During W10 Anniversary Update.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Question Regarding Usage Comparison of Hughesnet vs Glasswire During W10 Anniversary Update.

I performed the W10 Anniversary Update on my laptop today, and on my desktop yesterday.  Today, according to Hughesnet, I used 3.6GB for the update, yet according to Glasswire it was 3.2GB.  With the desktop it was 3.7 for Hughesnet and 3.4 for Glasswire.

Now, we are only talking about a few hundred MB with each one, so it's not a huge discrepancy, and with having a monthly Anytime allowance of 15GB, I'm more curious than concerned.

I noticed that toward the end of the update process, the computer updates the individual "Windows Store" programs that are already installed on your computer, like Calendar, People, Weather and even the Store app itself.  It also installs other apps which I end up uninstalling, like Skype and that n3 builder thing, plus a few others. 

When it's doing these updates and installing the additional apps, the computer is still not fully open to the desktop.  Could it be that Glasswire is simply not counting this finishing part of the update because the computer is not fully "on" and Glasswire is not even running at this point, then when the computer finishes fully starting, Glasswire starts, but having missed counting those last updates and store program installations?

It's the only thing I can think of for the discrepancy.  Those small app updates and installations could very easily add up to three or four hundred MBs.   

6 REPLIES 6
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Towards the end of the install of the Win10 update it will download updated drivers and software packages which show as different downloads.  During this time period, the only things running are critical windows services needed to install software, connect to thee internet, and that's about it.
Liz

Hmm, that's an interesting observation. Might be worth cross-posting this on the GlassWire forum, at least for this question "Could it be that Glasswire is simply not counting this finishing part of the update because the computer is not fully "on" ", as I don't see anyone posting about the new update there: https://forum.glasswire.com

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

That's what I figured, but I thought I would ask those who would know better than I. 

Thanks for the help. 

GabeU

I might do that, but I think Corrosive's explanation of how it works during the end of an update would explain it and confirm my suspicions.      

An interesting thing, though.   According to the added up total of Glasswire on the three computers, and they are separate, not reading each other, since my monthly reset I have used 16.3 GB , yet Hughesnet shows I've used 14.3GB.  And that's not even counting the 700MB or so that Glasswire didn't count from the anniversary updates.  Go figure.

At least it's in my favor!  LOL.

If I don't ask about the initial question on the Glasswire forum I may ask about this. 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Most likely you benefitted from some "compression" savings.
GabeU

Ah.  Never thought of that.  See, that's why I ask questions here, first.  Thanks.