Hughesnet Community

Question about the status meter

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mordacious

Question about the status meter

Anyone have any idea why Bitdefender would suddenly see the status meter as a threat? All of a sudden I can't keep the status meter in my tray. It will launch, it accesses the modem and gives me an icon in the tray but soon after I close the window Bitdefender shuts it down.

I have removed it and reinstalled it several times but it's the same thing. This just started today.

This is all Hughesnet's fault! They deliberately disabled my status meter so I would run over my data limit and be forced to buy tokens!  ROTFLMAO!
31 REPLIES 31
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

More like BitDefender had an update that started flagging it for whatever reason. Do you run it as Administrator with same result?

May explain some of the other posts here about it not working.
Amanda

I agree with BirdDog

Maybe because its trying to access your modem's IP BitDefender is freaking out about it... Have you tried this? http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-add-exclusions-(exceptions)-in-bitdefender-2015-1307.html

Amanda
Mordacious

Like I would take some of my own advice? How many times have we told someone to install it as the administrator or to try safe mode? Did I do that? Excuse me while I go flog myself.
Mordacious

If installing as Administrator or safe mode doesn't work this will be my next stop.

My back hurts... was 30 lashes a bit harsh?
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

False postive.
Mordacious

Apparently this is not a Bitdefender issue. I kept having the problem even after adding the exceptions. I even went so far as to remove Bidefender... still had the problem. Still have the problem.

It will not load on boot, but it will give me access to the meter, just no icon in the tray for any longer than about 20 seconds. Strange

Also I just noticed that my UPS icon also is not in the tray and does not load at startup.

I'd say it was a Windows 10 issue but there have been no upgrades recently.

Any thoughts?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Windows 10 sucks? Sorry could not resist. So many updates and versions of 10 coming out willy–nilly it is no wonder there are these kind of problems IMO.

You do realize under the new MS model you are are a guinea pig for testing? They throw all kinds of junk in the updates for average consumers to see what happens before releasing to Enterprise editions.
Mordacious

As I said there hasn't been an upgrade that would have caused this. Last upgrade was about 2 weeks ago maybe longer.

But you're right about making us test monkeys. If this is Windows 10 related it's the first problem I've run into. I can deal with it as the programs still work just don't have the icons like they should
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well, I'm personally hating M$ more and more with this whole 10 thing. The way they're forcing it on people is disgusting IMO. I have to check every update each time they come out to make sure the malware GWX program doesn't get installed. If I'm still alive in 2023 I will move to Linux. 

Mordacious

I think the position M$ took regarding Windows 10 did more harm than good. I don't like the way they are trying to force it on people. As the OS goes, it's the first time I've actually liked a new M$ OS

I just thought, I have to go check the laptop to see if I have the same problem there. It's running Windows 10 but has a different AV. Have to check and see if the Status Meter is working properly there.
Mordacious

We can rule out Windows 10. I know BirdDog would have loved me to say it was a Windows problem but the other Windows 10 machine does not have this problem and it has all the same upgrades as my desktop

Now I will have to see what is on my desk top that isn't on the lap top.

It's not a big deal as I can get into the status meter there just isn't the icon to make it simple. What is irritating is not knowing what did it and why.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Seriously I don't care about it being a 10 issue, seriously. I'm entitled to my opinion about not liking 10 and not moving to it as much as you're entitled to yours and pushing it here. No?

Hope you figure out the problem.
Mordacious

Come on BirdDog I was just yankin' your chain. Of course you're entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong.... 😉

Come on, admit it, it would warm your hackles if it was a Windows problem, be honest.

I don't mean to sound like I'm pushing 10, I happen to like it and there are those that won't. I didn't like XP, hated it with a passion,  wasn't happy with anything after 98. I think they may have hit on something with 10, that's my opinion and you're welcome to it.. LOL

You know I respect your opinion, your long winded response and I will fight to the death to defend your right to be wrong... JK

The only thing that would be worse than the situation I have now would be for it to fix itself and I have no idea what caused it. I hate not having a definable resolution to a problem on the computer
Mordacious

Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Actually 8.1 Pro. Really, really does tick me off M$ is pushing that GWX 10 update every month. I have to click on the more info link for every update to see which one it is then hide it. They're being way too aggressive IMO and that alone turns me off. I pay for an OS to be MY OS and not be intrusive. 

The whole telemetry monitoring, no real control with updates, peer to peer sharing updates, cloud crap, etc. is simply beyond what I want from an OS. I want it to boot my computer and make it usable with a decent GUI, that's pretty much it. Let me add what I want when I want. I'm quite old school it seems.

And yes, I know there are ways to shut some of it off but should not have to. Done with rant. Too many words?
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

BirdDog, I agree. No Win10 for me.
Test drive has been wiped and reused.
Mordacious

I understand BirdDog and agree, the way they went about it was all wrong, They have announced that the GWX 10 update is going to stop... go figure, the free Windows 10 offer is over on June 29th

In some ways I think it backfired on M$, might have been better off to leave it up to the consumer rather then forcing it down their throats.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I keep the update on my folks' W8.1 laptop set to notify, but not download.  It keeps them from dealing with this.  That icon is a bit annoying, though.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

There is GWX Control Panel, I have it, it is safe. Added protection against Microsoft created GWX malware: http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Ah.  Thank you.  I didn't know that was available.  Perhaps when I get their computer over here to do the next update I will install that.