Hughesnet Community

Question for Amanda regarding router mentioned in previous thread....

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Question for Amanda regarding router mentioned in previous thread....

Amanda,

In the thread below, you offered to send Linda a D-Link router.  I looked up the model number you gave and it looks very nice.  I was just curious if there is a Hughesnet web page for them and how much they are.  I have a Netgear router right now and it works okay, but it's getting a little dodgy, dropping the signal once in a while, and its range has diminished over time.  If figured with this being one that you are sending to Linda, they have probably been tested with Hughesnet and work well with it.  Thanks for the help.   

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/poor-tech-support-or-company-is-bad-for-the-price 

27 REPLIES 27
GabeU

Amanda,

Here's the info for the new router,

1.  The D-Link router has a range of about 75 feet.  Again, this is through one outside wall and using my Dell laptop. 

2.  I had three devices connected to the router and all seemed to work at nominal speeds, with no connection loss.  The aforementioned Dell Inspiron laptop and Acer Aspire notebook, and my LG 305C Tracfone.  

3.  The speeds are as follows.  Again, I didn't know which way you wanted them, so I posted the link and the pic.  The first five (starting at 11:33PM) were from the Dell Inspiron, and the last five from the Acer Aspire.  I couldn't do any tests with the cell phone as trying to figure out how to get that thing signed in to a site and use the site is more difficult than finding all of the gold bars in Pitfall.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972

4.  The instruction manual was very easy to follow and the instructions were simple.   The text is easy to read. 

5.  The router setup was also simple, due to following the steps outlined for setting it up.  Afterwards I did a little tweaking with help from a couple of people in here, but the tweaks that I did weren't necessary for it to work properly, nor be secure.  I just changed a couple of the security settings, changing the encryption to "WPA2 Only" and the Cipher to "AES." 

I don't see where an inexperienced tech would have any problem getting online.  It worked perfectly for me without having to alter any of the setup instructions.  I followed them to a T and it worked perfectly.  Once everything was set up, the only thing I had to do to connect my laptop wirelessly (after disconnecting the LAN cable) was to, in Windows , enter the password of the router and click connect.  No problems at all. 

6.  It is clear who to contact for support, as it lists the www.dlink.com website after the troubleshooting section on the last page, but the only problem is that the DIR-619L isn't listed on the dlink website.  I can find no support for it there.  I haven't registered it or anything, but when searching for the model in support, it doesn't come up.  It's also not in their list of routers in the support section.  Odd.

As for anything else, the only thing I see in the instructions that may be a little confusing to someone, although it won't affect the setup, is the mydlink service.  It doesn't really say whether the service and/or downloadable aps are really needed.  At the end of the setup it prompts you to create a mydlink account, which I did, but it doesn't really explain what it's for, other than being able to be used with "cloud cameras" and such.  That's a D-Link problem, though, not Hughesnet's.  Other than creating the account, I don't know that I have to use it for anything regarding the router.  I guess I will find that out as time goes on, and if I do find that it is definitely needed for something with the router, I will let you know.

I really do appreciate all of this, including the ridiculously large amount of token bytes that you gave me.  LOL.  If you want me to do more testing or have any other questions about the setup, the use, or whatever, please ask.  Again, I don't know how to thank you enough for all of this. 

To add, I haven't mentioned anything on the board about how I acquired the router.  If I did so I'm sure there would be glut of people asking for free routers.  LOL.  That's also why I made this thread private.             

Amanda

Hi Gabe

Just wanted to give you a quick heads up that I see this post and the one you made new - was there something particular you might need from me over there? I was pretty busy earlier today but should have the last hour here to myself to read your posts here and reform it into an e-mail for our management. Let me know if you wanted to throw anything else in (pictures, ideas, etc)

I'll be back to give you my full feedback in a bit.

Thanks!
Amanda
Amanda

Hi Gabe

I've put this together. My biggest, biggest concern is #6, because it needs to be clear that HughesNet is the main support for this router and people shouldn't be calling D-Link. We need to adjust this. I love everything else. It is great feedback and I've sent it off. Essentially everyone on this mini-project is out for the weekend, so we'll get to know more next week. If anyone asks about the router, you're free to let them know you emailed us that yours broke and we sent you another... Essentially, its true 🙂

Maybe you can use the new router and tokens and watch some movies!

Amanda
GabeU

Amanda,

Sorry, I just got home.  With regard to #6, there is nothing at all to indicate that one should contact Hughesnet for support.  In fact, the only references to Hughesnet at all are the Hughesnet name and logo on the lower right front cover of the installation guide, and the two pictures of typical setups that show a Hughesnet router.  There is nothing more regarding Hughesnet anywhere in the booklet, the box, nor any other documentation.  No one would know to contact Hughesnet for problems with it other than having gotten the router from Hughesnet.  Nothing says to contact them.   

GabeU

I think maybe, now that I have those tokens, I can try Netflix for the first time using my TV.  That way I don't have to connect that awful, data hogging DirecTV console.  I know that my TV can connect to Netflix by itself.  Perhaps they have some old Hill Street Blues episodes that I used to watch when I was a kid.  LOL.  I could take that in SD...not so much the movies. 

I will, of course, continue to use this router with my laptop, so if the folks on the mini-project want some ongoing, additional info I'd be happy to provide it.  Anything to help. 

I hope you have a great weekend.  I think it's time to order a pizza and some wings.  LOL.   

GabeU

Amanda,

Sorry, I know you are busy, but I just wanted to make sure you saw my reply to question #6, with there being no mention of contacting Hughesnet in case of problems. 

Amanda

Hi Gabe

Yes! Thank you very much. I am still waiting on some people to respond to the feedback you provided. We've actually had a very active Monday here outside of the community, so keyboards are clacking and meetings are being had. Everything should calm down by mid-day tomorrow. 

This feedback for #6 does really worry me and another person here. We will need to print something clearly on the install booklet or place a sticker on the routers saying to call us! Haha 🙂 I will let you know more tomorrow.

Thanks
Amanda