Hughesnet Community

Question on customer support and internet speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rattlesnake

Question on customer support and internet speed

So I talked to a customer support Rep. back first part of May of this year. He promised me that his service would be twice if not three times better than my Excede Plan i was currently in. which was good plan just was mad that Customer service side was poor. He promised me that would not be the case with Hughes net. They were number 1. 

So they set it up and the first few days my internet was awesome. Then speeds started to go down. Most of my internet service I get a ping of around 800 and download speed is anywhere from 1 to 5 and upload well that is usually just a little above none. 

I call and talk to a customer service rep. and they say well everything looks fine on our end must be something there. 

So my parents get a new Internet provider and he has a mobile unit that he can set up and test. so out of curiosity I have him stop by my place and set it up and run it off my equipment and it has ran great.  I get a ping of around 60 or 70. download speed is always 10 and upload is always around 5. 

So now I am stuck in a contract with a company that has yet to stand up to all the bull that i have listen to the salesman tell me back in May that i have yet to see. 

So my question is there anything that can be done to fix me or do I just cut my losses and go with the guys that are local and will give me great customer service from people in my own country. 
50 REPLIES 50
Knerkin Akin

First of all, stop for a moment and think about "ping." HughesNet operates from a satellite that is in geostationary orbit; that's at a distance of 22,236 miles above the equator. The best "ping" time you can expect thanks to Dr Einstein and the laws of physics hovers around a little over 500ms.

Secondly, what Internet service was your installers "mobile unit" using. It certainly wasn't HughesNet, so comparisons are unfair.

Do you have "ground based" Internet providers in your area? Like those who use cable to your house? If so, you should never have chosen a satellite-based provider.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Says he had Exede before, should be familiar with the latency, speed fluctuations and capped service.
Rattlesnake

I am familiar with all that my Excede was twice what i have now. other than i had to listen to someone that barely spoke english. 
Rattlesnake

I can't get cable to my house. I live in a Rural area. so it has to be satellite based provider. 
Knerkin Akin

How, then, pray tell, did the installer get a ping of 60 to 70 (unless he was pinging something on your local network)?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I can't get cable to my house. I live in a Rural area. so it has to be satellite based provider. 
Not true.

If the ping was that low it was either WISP, which sometimes uses a dish similar to satellite, or it was a cell service. Impossible for a ping of 60 or 70 with geostationary satellite service. Plain and simple.

The dish for WISP would be pointed towards the horizon versus angled up into space.

Notice the WISP dish antennas here look like satellite dishes: http://www.ispsupplies.com/categories/5ghz-Dish-Antennas/

Explanation of WISP: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Internet_service_provider
Rattlesnake

wasn't a WISP. more like a box with antennas off of it. run off like a cellphone would. 
Rattlesnake

and you right might be a bit unfair of comparing and gala apple to a honeycrisp apple. both are apples but one works better. my point is that this company records their sales department tell customer what they want to hear but end up customers getting not what they are sold. thing is i have the voice recording on my phone call as well and I have repeated it several times and he told me that Hughes net could get me better service and better signal strength than My Excede ever could. I told him i played online games and watched videos on the computer. he says oh yes that service is available to me in my area. the sales professionals name was devin on a recorded line. 
HughesNetCorpor

Rattlesnake,
You sound like a pretty knowledgeable person when it comes to satellite internet service with all this talk about 'ping', download and upload speeds etc..and you obviously know how it works as you previously had service through Excede.
Personally you lost me when you all started talking about 'ping', haha (but that's besides the point)

...but anyways, I'm just curious, with you being as knowledgeable as you are, as to why you simply didn't go on to the HughesNet website and compare their 'advertised' speeds to that of Excede's 'advertised' speeds. I don't know what Excede's advertised download speeds are in your area, but in my area both Excede and HughesNet offer the exact same download speeds, which is UP TO 5 mbps (download) and up to 1 mbps (upload).

I'm also curious, if you had this service installed back in May,  why is it that you are just now complaining about these speeds. You said yourself that your speeds were awesome for the first few DAYS of service..at which point they started to slow down. HughesNet gives you a full month before that contract kicks in...why wait until 3 months later?

I've only been a HughesNet customer myself for about 2 weeks..most days I get speeds upwards of 12-14 mbps (download) which is 2.5x FASTER than HughesNet's advertised download speeds for my particular area.

Needless to say...I'm ecstatic over these higher speeds..BUT, if my speeds were to drop down to between 1 and 5 mbps, I would not be in a position to get upset over this because HughesNet clearly states that the typical download speeds are UP TO 5 mbps download speeds for my area.

You said that these days you are getting between 1 - 5 mbps download speeds...it seems to me that more than likely you are getting exactly what HughesNet offers..
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

L, simple explanation is he discovered something better was available to him. That is why the long delay between May and the present.

Again, whatever it is, it is NOT satellite. Not comparing apples, it is comparing apples to potatoes. 

Rattlesnake, like Jezra already asked, can you name this fantastic ISP? Would love to look them up and see exactly what type of service they are. Definitely not satellite.
HughesNetCorpor

There sure seems to be a few folk on here that have the same 'hang ups' when it comes to peoples origins.. "great customer service from people in my own country" 
Reminds me of Mindbender as he said this exact same thing in another conversation.... very odd!
Rattlesnake

well i have called the customer support for the last few months and just now decided that i would try their web support to see if i would get better results than i was getting from actually talking to a real live human being. but since i typed in earlier to explain what I have from my home lap top roughly 4 hours ago. 

just now it took me 15 minutes to log into this customer support community to read and type any replies to a actual customer support agent that I am suppose to have 24 hours a day.  and i have yet to see one reply to me.  No it is not satellite service it is cellular service. 

I deal with satellite and cellular base communication on a daily basis. If in my job I remote access a machine from 200 miles away and work with it in real time by a satellite or cellular signal. every day at work. why do i have horrible service at home and i am 20 miles from work. yes we have different internet companies. 

I just trying everything i have to try to give this company the a chance to correct me or help me figure this out. i was an Excede customer for around 5 years. and in the beginning service was awesome i could watch my movies online play my games online no problem. but in the last year it went straight down hill. so i thought it was time for a change now with the kind of service and customer support i am receiving. I would like answers. is that too much to ask. i will answer all question honestly if the person asking the question will be honest with me. 
Rattlesnake

it is cellular signal from towers. but still not apples to potatoes. Chariton Valley Wireless. but still my main question is customer support. why if i am paying for service fee of 7.95 for express service. 

also was just running some test and on this page alone it takes about 2 minutes to load the page to even read it. 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Rattlesnake,

If it took you fifteen minutes to log into this site, then it's one of two things, and probably the latter.  First, you are out of data and throttled.   But, even when throttled, it wouldn't take fifteen minutes to log into this site.  Dialup would be faster than that.  The second is there is something seriously wrong.  In this particular instance, it has to be the latter.  Even with a speed of 1Mbps, the low end of your purported speeds, you would still be able to log into this site in no time.  If it really took you fifteen minutes, then you've either got something wrong with your router, your computer, or you are having some sort connection problem. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Rattlesnake,

If it took you fifteen minutes to log into this site, then it's one of two things, and probably the latter.  First, you are out of data and throttled.   But, even when throttled, it wouldn't take fifteen minutes to log into this site.  Dialup would be faster than that.  The second is there is something seriously wrong.  In this particular instance, it has to be the latter.  Even with a speed of 1Mbps, the low end of your purported speeds, you would still be able to log into this site in no time.  If it really took you fifteen minutes, then you've either got something wrong with your router, your computer, or you are having some sort connection problem. 

Amanda

Hi Rattlesnake,

To make this short and simple, we cannot lower your ping. Generally, the only time we really get ping complaints is because someone is trying to play games online. I see from our interactions with you in the call center that you've mentioned having a PS4. Is this why the ping is an issue? 

As far as speeds, being a wireless-type provider, we can't (land providers really can't either) guarantee you'll get those "up to" speeds all the time. From reading the "other providers" terms of service you've mentioned here, neither do they. 

The $7.95 charge you are referring to is our Express Repair service, meaning that if there is an issue discovered with your equipment (modem, radio, alignment) and cannot be fixed by troubleshooting over the phone, we will dispatch a technician to your home to repair such in warranty issues within 2 business days and a co-pay of $25. Without Express Repair, in warranty visits are free but can take up to a week for a technician to get on site. 

I can, however, get with the sales group who you called and see if your call recording is available to review. I will let you know the outcome of that as soon as I can.

Thanks
Amanda
Rattlesnake

new netgear router R6300. newer computer. again back to my original statement that the wireless company temporary unit and everything i have work perfectly. no slow speeds and consistent i know its not apples to apples but I'm not comparing apples to apples I'm trying to get help in figuring out why I am having slow speeds. I truthfully do not want to change I really just want what I was promised. is that too much to ask for.  and i still have usage left for them month. so its not that im out of data. although i did have an call in when i couldn't figure out my data was all gone. but that was on my end not the fault of the company. Sorry for that one
Rattlesnake

Ok. thanks for getting to my questions what do I need to do to get this looked into. when I go to watch any video on either my Facebook or off Youtube. it will load a few seconds of the video clip and then buffer till it times out. or when i go to log into this sight it will not load in less than 10 minutes. when i call the customer support i have hard time hearing your reps. either there is a lot of background noise or i cant understand their accent. so i went to here so i can understand typed out words. to maybe fix this issue and not have to go somewhere else to get good service. thanks for trying to help me. 

I understand all the internet satillite and wireless and cable and dial up are all the different. but when i used my brand new netgear router with my excede internet and with this Chariton valley wireless it works good. but when i am using hughes net it doesn't. what do i need to look into to get this figured out. i live a mile from anywhere and i have open clear sky to the south of my dish. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

First, make sure the router address is NOT set to 192.168.0.1 as that is the modem address and will cause conflicts. Setting the address to 192.168.1.1 is what works best for most people.

Also be sure that DHCP is enabled on the router.
Rattlesnake

the router is on address 192.168.1.1. but not sure how to set the DHCP on the router or what that even means