Hughesnet Community

Question on customer support and internet speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rattlesnake

Question on customer support and internet speed

So I talked to a customer support Rep. back first part of May of this year. He promised me that his service would be twice if not three times better than my Excede Plan i was currently in. which was good plan just was mad that Customer service side was poor. He promised me that would not be the case with Hughes net. They were number 1. 

So they set it up and the first few days my internet was awesome. Then speeds started to go down. Most of my internet service I get a ping of around 800 and download speed is anywhere from 1 to 5 and upload well that is usually just a little above none. 

I call and talk to a customer service rep. and they say well everything looks fine on our end must be something there. 

So my parents get a new Internet provider and he has a mobile unit that he can set up and test. so out of curiosity I have him stop by my place and set it up and run it off my equipment and it has ran great.  I get a ping of around 60 or 70. download speed is always 10 and upload is always around 5. 

So now I am stuck in a contract with a company that has yet to stand up to all the bull that i have listen to the salesman tell me back in May that i have yet to see. 

So my question is there anything that can be done to fix me or do I just cut my losses and go with the guys that are local and will give me great customer service from people in my own country. 
50 REPLIES 50
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Would help to know the make and model of router, the owners manual will tell you how to do that. But all routers it is normally just signing into the GUI by typing in the router address in browser address bar, hit enter and sign in. All the settings are there.
Rattlesnake

net gear r6300
Rattlesnake

ok figured out the DHCP it has been a while but it was already set up that way. can't remember if i did that or if it was from the factory.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It should work then. You say speed is good when plugged directly into modem, no router? What kind of distance when using wireless? Also have to consider problems with the wireless adapters in the devices you are using.

Calling it a night but maybe others, especially Gwalk900, will jump in.
Rattlesnake

i am right next to the modem and router. 
Rattlesnake

my modem and router are in the center of my house in my living room.
Rattlesnake

by the way BirdDog you have been very helpful thanks for that. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Thanks, to be honest I'm at a loss why your speed would be so much worse with the router connected since it sounds like the basic settings are correct. If there is a QoS setting for it then turn it off.

Are you using the same LAN cable when connecting the router that you use when directly connecting to modem? Grasping at straws here a bit. Again could be something with the adapter in the device/computer. What are you using when you test the wireless?

Also, are you using the Testmy.net test when directly connected and when using the wireless?
Rattlesnake

sorry was wrong on this post looked at it wrong
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Some thoughts here

The wired and wireless adaptors may have different settings. A comparison is in order.

What encryption level is setup for the wireless connection ?

Try changing the wireless "channel" to another.

How many devices are authorized wireless access ?

Are there any cordless landline phones in the house ? ( I had a phone in the process of failing in some manner and it just killed my wireless. A change of phones and frequency cured the issue.

Rattlesnake

I have disconnected everything that was attached to the router. turned off their WiFi. so that only what i was using would be pulling the WiFi. didn't matter. still would not run those video clip. buffering and would just shut down. i have only my cell phone in my house. 

can't run any test now due to having to work. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Seem to be going in circles here. Are you able to connect one device directly to the modem by LAN cable, no router? If so, do videos still buffer when directly connected? Also should not stream in HD for numerous reasons, extreme data usage being top of the list.

Also need to make sure you have the latest firmware for your router. Be sure to select whether you have version 1 or 2 hardware.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6300v2
Rattlesnake

well looks like i have been forgotten by the admins or did i miss something from them?

but nevermind i will just figure it out on my own. thanks for the help
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Rattlesnake,

"well looks like i have been forgotten by the admins or did i miss something from them?"

The "admins" are at the corporate level and as such work Monday through Friday 8am to 5pm(ish) eastern.

Today is early Monday. Please give then a chance to address the pending posts including yours.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Rattlesnake,

" but not sure how to set the DHCP on the router or what that even means"

All routers are mostly the same but different .....

Settings from my old Netgear:

Be sure of the following:

WPS is disabled

Remote Access is disabled

All Guest Accounts are disabled

QoS is disabled

Router's 192.168.1.1 access page has the username and password changed from the default values.

Be sure that wireless encryption is set up on the wireless channels.

Rattlesnake

thanks i will try that when i get home. all that is right. haven't been home much to really try any of the new ideas out. 
Amanda

Hi Rattlesnake,

I apologize for not replying. I did leave to home right away Monday and was not in yesterday as I am under the weather. Today I will be looking in my e-mails to see if the sales group has responded with your call information. Should have an update for you today, haven't forgotten about you. Thanks for sticking around.

Amanda
Amanda

Hi Rattlesnake

Just an update.. I found your call (good news) but (bad news) the silly thing won't play.. I think its my browser. I am going to have someone pull it out from the site and email it to me. Thanks for holding on 🙂

Amanda
Rattlesnake

that's o.k. i have been trying a few other option that these guys here have pointed out to me that we will see if that helps me on my end. Thanks to all your all's help. I am starting to question my statement about customer support. here it is great but by phone it is not. 
Rattlesnake

ok so last night i Tried to watch a few video's on youtube and facebook nothing longer than 5 or 10 minutes long and would start buffering and would have to wait a few minutes and then it would play for a few seconds then go to buffering again. then would just read network error and go to a black screen. as of last night i was at 21% left of my data. this morning i looked and i am out of data. but i had a few small updates to do to my PS4 last night no more than 3gigs together. so that would possibly be the cause of that but it was midnight before i started those downloads. what am i missing here why will my video's not play when i watch them? 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

You will see that whenever you are requested to run speed tests you are asked to run them with a single computer connected directly to the modem. There is a good reason why that is required .... to develop a picture of what your system performance is with the least number of variable.

You have to understand that everything you do over your connection is shared.

Large scale, you are sharing a portion of the available data throughput of Echostar17.

That satellite has its capacity split into 60 spot beams that cover a certain geographical area ... so you are sharing the capacity of that beam and all of the other subscribers that are in the footprint of that beam. Speeds can and do change from second to second depending on the number of other users connected at any given time and their type of activity.

Finally you share bandwidth with the number of devices YOU have connected to YOUR network overall.

There is yet one more level of sharing and that is the number of active programs you have running and the number of active background processes that are running but are likely unaware of on just a single machine.

Watching a video is a rather very data intensive activity.

Lets look at the "data pipe" that after all the "sharing"  is connected to your modem.

Look at it as  .... 1" water pipe delivering water to your "house" (modem) and you only have a single "faucet" (one computer). That single faucet has the entire gallons per minute capacity available to it. It has 100% of the "flow" available.

Now open two faucets ... EACH faucet now only has 50% available, things are still good but they start to slow a little. Each "faucet" is a program and or a background process that you are not aware of. Have 4 "faucets" open on a SINGLE computer and now each faucet is only getting 25% of the flow rate of your 1" inlet pipe.

The one faucet that is a known open program is getting "starved" because of the unseen other three. Now this is still on a single computer,

Now install a router and connect two computers to it. The 1" pipe is still the same, still has the same flow capacity but it is now divided into two, one feeding each of the connected computers or devices ... a 1/2" line feeding each. Open up 4 "faucets" on each computer and each "faucet" (program or process) is now only getting 1/8 of the 1" inlet pipes capacity.

Assuming that your "flow rate" is as it should be according to speed tests then we are left with:

Is the server that is serving up the data stream(s) running properly ?

Is Qos enabled in the router and it is trying to do traffic shaping ?

Is one or more of the NIC's misconfigured ?

Are too many devices connected and using data at once ?

Are too many concurrent programs and processes "diluting" the data stream to just a trickle that is so little that it cannot support video playback without buffering ?

Just a few thoughts.