cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on customer support and internet speed

Highlighted

Re: Question on customer support and internet speed

the router is on address 192.168.1.1. but not sure how to set the DHCP on the router or what that even means
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Would help to know the make and model of router, the owners manual will tell you how to do that. But all routers it is normally just signing into the GUI by typing in the router address in browser address bar, hit enter and sign in. All the settings are there.
Highlighted

net gear r6300
Highlighted

ok figured out the DHCP it has been a while but it was already set up that way. can't remember if i did that or if it was from the factory.
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

It should work then. You say speed is good when plugged directly into modem, no router? What kind of distance when using wireless? Also have to consider problems with the wireless adapters in the devices you are using.

Calling it a night but maybe others, especially Gwalk900, will jump in.
Highlighted

i am right next to the modem and router. 
Highlighted

my modem and router are in the center of my house in my living room.
Highlighted

by the way BirdDog you have been very helpful thanks for that. 
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Thanks, to be honest I'm at a loss why your speed would be so much worse with the router connected since it sounds like the basic settings are correct. If there is a QoS setting for it then turn it off.

Are you using the same LAN cable when connecting the router that you use when directly connecting to modem? Grasping at straws here a bit. Again could be something with the adapter in the device/computer. What are you using when you test the wireless?

Also, are you using the Testmy.net test when directly connected and when using the wireless?
Highlighted

sorry was wrong on this post looked at it wrong