Hughesnet Community

Question regarding DNS settings on computer and Netgear router...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Question regarding DNS settings on computer and Netgear router...

A while ago I changed my DNS server settings (both IPv4 and IPv6) to Google's because my desktop's network card was constantly changing to new settings when on automatic.  It stopped the problem and, as a happy side effect, internet pages open somewhat faster.  

I went ahead and changed the DNS settings on all three of my computers to Google's, and in my laptop's case, both the LAN and wireless DNS settings.  

My question is this.  I have the ability to change the DNS settings in my Netgear router to Google's, as well.  Should I, or should I leave the router to automatically obtain the DNS settings, or does it even matter?  I had asked something similar to this before, but I was a little confused by the answer.

Thanks for the help.  

I don't know if I needed to black out the things I did, but for safety's sake, I knew it wouldn't hurt to do so...

12 REPLIES 12
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Anything going through your router will use the router settings, anything hooked directly to the modem will use the computer NIC or wireless adapter DNS named server settings unless set to automatic, then the modem will be the DNS server and use the HughesNet servers.

If router is set to automatic then the modem will again be the default DNS handler unless specific addresses are set on the computer NIC or wireless card.

Router manual setting takes precedence over modem and adapters manual setting.
Adapters take precedence over modem if no router and addresses set manually on adapter.
Modem takes precedence if automatic set on router and adapters.

Hope this makes more sense.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Don't forget that the Modem, Router and your computer all cache DNS info. If the system believes it has the "answer" then no DNS query occurs and the cached IP is used.

To insure that "fresh" DNS data is be used do a hard re-set of the Modem, hard re-set of the Router and a flush DNS performed on all devices. That will force the newly entered DNS server info to be used.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Great point!
GabeU

BirdDog,

So, when using the router, if I want to use Google's DNS settings like I do with my desktop when connected directly to the modem, I need to change the DNS settings in the router to Google's instead of automatically obtaining them.  Is that what you are saying? 

Gwalk,

I know your post is probably helpful, but I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.  Does this mean that I should or shouldn't change the DNS in the router, or in anything.  I'm getting even more confused now. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yes, and what Gwalk is saying is to reset everything once any changes are made to ensure they take.  🙂
GabeU

Ahhh.  Thank you. 

I very much appreciate the help.  Sorry for the confusion.  One day what is second nature to you guys I may understand a little more.  I know a little more than the average Joe about computers and such, but considerably less than you two, so I get a little lost sometimes with the more technical aspects of what is second nature to both of you.  I'm sure it can be as frustrating to you in describing to me something about a setup as it is in me describing to my stepfather, over the phone, how to shut down a program from the task manager.  LOL.    Again, though, I do very much appreciate the help and advice.   

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Ok,

When you request a webpage (in English: IE: cnn.com) your system will ask the DNS system to translate cnn.com into a IP address.

That takes time so ... the Modem "saves" IP addresses. The address it has saved may not be the proper or current address after a period time.

Doing a hard re-set of the Modem wipes out all of its saved data.

The same thing applies to your Router.

Your OS is a different matter however.

Getting rid of the DNS values that your computer has stored requires that you open a command prompt and give a "ipconfig /flushdns" command without the quotes.

http://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/how-do-i-flush-my-windows-dns-cache/

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

No dumb questions, how we learn. I don't know near everything there is to know about networking. I'm sure some would say I barely know the basics and I've read many articles that are way over my head.

Glad to help clear it up for you.
GabeU

With regard to a hard reset, is a power cycle the same thing, or should I go to the SCC (in the modem's case) and do the reset from there, and go into the router's GUI and do the reset from there. 

Also, when I do the DNS flush on my computers, do I do it while the modem and router are resetting, before I reset them, or after I reset them?  If there is a proper order to do it in, I want to make sure I do it that way so that it clears everything in the way that it should. 

I have to wait to do all of this, though, as my laptop is updating Windows 10, and it's taking FOREVER like all three of my computers did last month.  My desktop only took about a half hour on Monday night.  Three hours and I'm at 13% of the Cumulative Update.  It's de ja vu, all over again.  LOL. 

Liz

Good question, Gabe, thanks for posting!

Thanks for the explanations, BirdDog and Gwalk!

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

#1: Pull the power on the Modem

#2: Pull the power on the Router

#3: Open the command prompt and do a ipconfig /flushdns

#4: Power up Modem and wait until its fully up

#5: Power up the Router and wait for it to fully boot.

At that point no DNS data is cached anywhere in the complete system so any page requests will result in a query for info from your newly setup DNS server source.

GabeU

Got it.  Thanks again for the help.