cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding positioning of dish at installation...

Distinguished Professor IV

Question regarding positioning of dish at installation...

When the installers came and upgraded me to the Gen4, they put the dish on the same pole the original dish had been installed on back in 2004.  From what I understand, the dish points lower in the sky than the old one, and I have quite a large concern regarding what is going to happen come Springtime when my trees start to grow leaves.  From the way it looks to me, I am almost certain it is going to impede my service, as the old dish pointed JUST over the tops of the trees. 

My question is this...being that they installed it where it is, if my service does start to have problems when the trees begin to fill out, Hughesnet will be responsible for moving the dish to a higher location because it wasn't installed in the right position in the first place,right? Right now my beam strength hovers around 118, but again, I think that's going to change.   

I just hope they won't expect me to pay for the installers' mistake. 

I would have posted this privately, but I thought maybe someone else had been through a similar situation.  Thanks.     

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Re: Question regarding positioning of dish at installation...

The actual "look angle" is about 30 to 40 degrees up from the level of the dish arm.

The best way to tell is to get a good understanding on what your normal "good weather " signal strength" is ( also know where you Gateway is located because the line of site from the Sat to your Gateway is the "other half of your connection"). you can find your sig by opening the Modems SCC at 192.168.0.1

If you click on the icon marked as #1 you will see this:

So as a gauge of things get to know your clear weather, non occluded signal level. If/when trees block the signal you will see a drop. They seem to "turn the transponder power" up a little in the winter at least on the beams in the north that are likely to have more of a heavy cloud cover in winter.

You can find your Gateway location by looking at the first three letters here:

The next two numbers will be your "beam"

To gain a little more insight in the Beam/Gateway architecture see my topic here:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/beams-gateways-and-loading-overloading

Associate Professor

Honorary Alumnus

Opps,

To directly answer your question:

"My question is this...being that they installed it where it is, if my service does start to have problems when the trees begin to fill out, Hughesnet will be responsible for moving the dish to a higher location because it wasn't installed in the right position in the first place,right?"

In the past if a installer made a poor installation choice, like he "cheaped out" to increase his profit, be it time or materials, Hughes has done right by the customer and had the dish moved free of charge.

These days all installers have to take and submit picture of certain key areas of the installation before being paid.

There has been a few "mixups" of installers faking the pictures  but that is VERY rare and Hughes will stand behind the install.

Gwalk, as I stated, right now my signal strength is 118.  I am on beam 24.  I certainly hope it doesn't change as the trees fill out, but I have a feeling it will. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Actually, it did with my DirecTV.  When they installed it, within the same week of the Hughesnet in Nov of 2004, most of the leaves were gone.  When Spring came, I started having signal problems, so DirecTV moved it to my roof, and actually where they moved it to is only about eight feet higher and to the west a little (evidently one tree was blocking it mostly.  It has worked perfectly since. From the way it looks to me, the Hughesnet dish is pointed right at the top of the trees, and it will not surprise me at all (actually I'm expecting it) if it starts having problems in a couple of months.  If it does, and they have to come and move it, I'm just concerned if they are going to try to make me pay for it, as there is no way I should have to.     

"Hughes will stand behind the install."  That was my biggest concern.  Thanks for the help and assurance. 

Honorary Alumnus

My advice, just keep an eye on it .. if problems develop just respond to this topic and  the Mods will run remote diags on your system and pull up the install pictures.

To add, going by the "look angle", it may be okay.  I say may.  If I follow the arm, it's pointed directly at the top of the trees.  Actually, specifically, one tree.  If it does give me problems, the tree is just a random tree and it's not all that important.  If it's the tree or my internet, the tree will go. 

I will keep an eye on it and will respond if a problem develops.  Thanks for the help.