cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding positioning of dish at installation...

Honorary Alumnus

Re: Question regarding positioning of dish at installation...

Now pick a spot about 35 degrees above the arm angle.

Assistant Professor

Trees very close to the house can make a difference for sure especially in direct line of site. The dish being on the roof or near ground level can make a difference but if that close to getting a good signal then the tree(s) probably should go.
Distinguished Professor IV

Is 118 a good signal?  I've seen it up to 124 on a clear day. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

When looking roughly 35 degrees above the angle arm I think I may be okay.  Only time will truly tell.  BTW, is 118 on a cloudy day a good signal?  I've seen it at 124 on a clear day. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

That is fine. I run between 110-120 and takes a huge storm to the south to knock me off. Does also depend on other things like location within the beam footprint.

My summer and winter signal is at least 10 points different. Do believe beam loading also has an impact on receive signal level.

I'm about right where I put the red dot on beam 24, so I'm getting a good signal.  I know that during off peak times my speeds are fantastic. 

Assistant Professor

Well, going off topic here. If your main complaint is slow speed during peak time that is an entirely different thing. Should close this topic and start a new one about slow peak time speeds.

No, not at all.  I was just posting my beam footprint and demonstrating that I am getting a great signal because my speeds during off peak are great.  They are less during peak, but I've been with Hughesnet a long time and expect that as I understand what happens during peak demand times.  I am not complaining at all.  I'm perfectly happy with the service I receive. 

To wit, I'm at somewhat of a loss as to how, out of these posts, you got that my main complaint was speed issues. 

Assistant Professor

Got ya, I just thought by your comment above you had an issue with peak time speed. Text conversation is very confusing sometimes. My peak time speed is often half my other time speed but still plenty fast enough for my needs.

I told them sometime back when I was having problems that I would be happy with 5-7 Mbps speed during peak time and they've been providing that ever since. I have "up to" of 15 Mbps but 5 still works fine for me during peak hours. I often get 20+ during off peak and that is when I download big files if needed.

No biggie. 

Actually, my peak time speed are usually around 3-5Mbps (but they actually seem to be improving), but I sometimes reach over 20Mbps during off peak.  It definitely gets lower during peak, but I'm still happy with it.  I wait until off peak if I have to download something large, so 3-5 is plenty for browsing, which is mostly what I do, anyway.  I'm happy with it.  I went on earlier and downloaded a program at about 7:30pm and it was downloading at nearly 10, so that was great.  It actually seems like it's speeding up with successive days.  LOL. 

I actually had a VERY bad experience one time with Hughesnet with not leaving mostly well enough alone and regretted ever calling and complaining, so unless the speeds really become a problem, I am fine with what I have. 

It's miles above the old Pro plan that I had with maximum speeds of 1.5Mbps, and it's nearly the same price.