Hughesnet Community

QuickTime for Windows Is Dead, and You Should Uninstall It to Stay Secure

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mordacious

QuickTime for Windows Is Dead, and You Should Uninstall It to Stay Secure

QuickTime for Windows has dangerous security vulnerabilities that let attackers take over your computer, but Apple won’t be updating it to fix them. It’s time to uninstall it.

Annoyingly, Apple only announced this in a statement to Trend Micro. Apple hasn’t announced it on its own website, and doesn’t seem to be making a real effort to warn people about this outdated program. They’re even still offering it for download on their website with no warning!

If you’re using a Mac, don’t worry. Apple’s QuickTime for Mac is still supported with security updates. Only the Windows version is dead and rotting.

more on how to remove.....
7 REPLIES 7
Robin S

Evidently they quit including it at some point, my machine does not have it. Running Windows 7 with it being about two years old.

XP users are at risk from something I found.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I've been using QuickTime Alternative for years with no problems. Plus it is much smaller than the bloated real thing.
Mordacious

I hadn't seen it for so long I forgot it even existed.  Just wanted to let those who may have it know about the problem they may have.
Robin S

I did too. But I did go looking on this one to see if it was there. phew, dodged one more bullet.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I have some old games that use it for video scenes.
Mordacious

I imagine that on a machine that is not internet connected it would be perfectly safe.
Amanda

When I got my new computer I left Quicktime & Realplayer off the install list.... you know, for research.