cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REALLY UPSET

REALLY UPSET

DEFINITELY UPSET , BEING LIED TO WHEN I WAS LOOKING FOR A BETTER INTERNET OPTION. FIRST OFF; I WASN'T INFORMED AS TO THE 10 GB PER MONTH ALLOTMENT; EVEN THOUGH I MENTIONED THAT I WAS GOING TO BE STREAMING MOVIES AND THE WIFE WAS GOING TO BE PLAYING GAMES ON THE FB PAGE.... WAS TOLD BY OUR INSTALLER WE WOULD NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS, NO BUFFERING OR THE LIKE. FIRST MONTH WE WERE OUT OF GB BY THE THIRD WEEK, SECOND MONT(LAST MONTH) 6 DAYS USE AND THE 10 GB WAS DONE....THE REST OF THE MONTH WAS NOTHING BUT A WASTE. TODAY IS THE 3rd OF APRIL AND ALREADY HAVE USED UP 38% OF THE GB. NO F...ING WAY I AM STAYING HERE...BBB WILL BE HEARING FROM ME TOMORROW!!!
7 REPLIES 7

Re: REALLY UPSET

Well if you're going to the BBB then there is no sense in suggesting that the Official reps pull your sales call and review it to see if you were in fact told this was a capped service . If you were out of data by the 3rd week of your first month you must be dong some hellified streaming and game playing, but all plans are sold by the GB 10/50, 5/50, 15/50, 50/50; I mean how could you not understand that you had a limited amount of data?

Write to the BBB, they will write to HN; HN has 30 days to respond, then the BBB will write back to you. Or you can ask the Official reps to pull your sales call and tell you if you were cheated, ripped off, blind sided, defrauded or whatever else you want to call it.

Your call
Assistant Professor

All caps, really........really? That will sure help everything.

http://www.cableone.net/Docs/datacalculator.html

You need to learn how much data things use. "Looking for a better internet option" compared to what?

I've reached a point where I just tend to ignore these individuals that feel that using cap lock gives them more credibility. What it does is diminish them and shows the community they have no control or self-respect. It's the only way they think they can get attention. He feels better and all his problems have been solved.
Honorary Alumnus

Danbridg5,

While being upset is understandable to a degree you did in fact sign up to a data capped service.

Common sense says that you need to monitor and control your usage ... no two ways about it.

All Hughes plans are sold on the basis first of amount of monthly allotment and the listed maximum "up to" speeds.

A review of your sales call recording is in order of course to see if the sales person misled you .... or if you simply didn't understand what was being said.

A 10/50 plan is 10 GB (10,000 MB) Anytime allowance and 50 GB (50,000 MB) Bonus Bytes allowance. All the official Hughes internet ads I have seen make the Daytime/Night time division abundantly clear.

The slightest bit of research on your part would have reveled that a satellite connection is one of last resort. I can not and will compete with any ground based ISP in terms of data allowance, consistent speeds and is hampered by high latency due to the fact that your data has to travel 22,300 miles up to the satellite, then the same distance back to your earth side gateway where it finally connects to the terrestrial internet backbone. Your requested data then has to follow the same path back to your terminal.

As to the BBB threat ... you just may have shot yourself in the foot with that idle threat.

The BBB has no "teeth". The purpose of the BBB is to get the two parties together to resolve differences and frankly Hughes does that without the intervention of a third party.

As to your installer saying "you would have no problems" ... not only is he NOT a Hughes employee  he has no way in the world to be privy to the state of your network and connected devices and individual settings (example: cloud services) or the viewing/browsing habits of everyone in your household, if you have ad-block extensions installed on your browsers and a host of other items that are so very important to conserving data on a capped service.

As the others pointed out, knock off the caps, its not civilized behavior.

This is a help forum ... do you want help in understanding your system and how to get the most from it? If so, start over.

Honorary Alumnus

I forgot to add the "tools" available to your to track and control your usage:

your data allowance is divided into 2 periods:

Anytime Bytes: 8am to 2am local

Bonus Bytes: 2am to 8am

You really have THREE data sources to draw from if you include any amounts from extra cost "Token Bytes"

(click on picture for larger image)

You need to monitor your usage rate so as to pace yourself.

To that end you have three usage meters:

One is internal to the modem and can be accessed by 192.168.0.1

This is known as the SCC (System Control Center)

The second meter is a utility you can download and install. This is known as the Download Status Meter and can be found on your "dashboard":

http://my.hughesnet.com/

Once installed it looks like this:

The third and most accurate is also found after logging into your dashboard and looks like this:

On a data capped service you simply have to monitor and control your usage.

Alum

Hi Danbridg,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! We understand your frustration and want to assure you we're here to help. I've already sent in a request to have your sales call reviewed. If you were misled we'll make sure to do whatever we can to resolve this for you. Once I have heard back I will let you know.

Thank you,
Chris
Alum

Hello Danbridg,

I have an update on your sales call results. Here is the response we received from our call center pertaining to your concerns:

After reviewing the call, the agent does inform the customer of the 10 GB anytime allowance, as well as read all disclosures regarding the fair access policy.  There was no mention of the bonus bytes by the agent.  The agent does probe into what the customer does online, and discovered that there was some streaming involved.  The agent did read the appropriate disclosure to the customer, to which they had no response.  There was also mention of gaming, but the agent read the appropriate gaming disclosure and went on to state that cell phone games, strategy and turn based games would be the only games to work.  The agent pitched the Prime Plus package, to which the customer did not question. 

From the results we received, I can confirm our agent did in fact inform you or your anytime data allowance. All proper disclosures about streaming and gaming were made clear to you on the call. The only thing not mentioned is our bonus bytes of 50 GB that you are able to use during the hours of 2 am to 8 am. Although this should have been included in the description. The most important aspects of the plan were described. In this case we would not be able to waive any cancellation fees incurred fro early termination. Those would be valid. However I can offer you some great info on how to better conserve you data allowance. You can also upgrade to a plan that better suits your needs or purchase token bandwidth as a back up.

Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to low?SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,
Chris