cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random disconnects while writing closed captions on Hughesnet 5G

Highlighted

Random disconnects while writing closed captions on Hughesnet 5G

My wife is a closed caption reporter using HughesNet for her internet connection.  She has been using a cloud-based captioning technology called EEG iCap for the last six years and she has had no problems until about four weeks ago.  At that time she started getting random disconnects on iCap.  Sometimes she would be able to reconnect and at other times reconnect attempts would be unsuccessful for as long as 10 or 15 minutes.  We have worked with both iCap and Hughesnet tech support, modifying configuration settings for the router (HT2000W) and for the iCap app, but nothing appears to work as far as preventing the disconnects.  We are on the 5G satellite and recently switched from the premium consumer package to the business package, to no effect.  The disconnects do not appear to be related to periods of heavy traffic on the satellite since they have happened at times like 3am or 5am in the morning when there should be very light traffic.  This problem does not happen with any other web-based or internet-based apps.  Pings to the iCap servers work as expected and all web pages and emails continue to load as expected.

If we are not able to resolve this problem we will be forced to find a different provider that can provide a reliable connection (satellite is the only option in our area) or to sell our rent our house and relocate to an area where fiber service is available.  

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. 

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

Re: Random disconnects while writing closed captions on Hughesnet 5G

When these errors happen, is there a code other than 0.0.0 in the system control center?

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Re: Random disconnects while writing closed captions on Hughesnet 5G

Sounds like extreme lags from a CenturyLink-connected gateway. Usually the dropouts are about a minute from CenturyLink. If they're getting longer than that there might be more to it, such as multiple CL nodes in the path causing concatenated gaps.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.