Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

Sweetpea3829
Tutor

Re: Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

@Gwalk900 wrote:

Your  biggest user is Chrome.

One point of concern is that you never show any periods of "disconnect" if you look at your usage time line in the last picture.

Perhaps @GabeU can pop in and show you how to zero in on Chrome and see what aspect of Chrome is using the greatest amount  so we can dig deeper.

This is probably because I rarely reset the laptop.  It's generally always on.  I'd probably turn it off more often if it didn't take 20 minutes to turn back on.  I really need a new laptop, lol.  

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I would suggest then to simply  close the browser when not in use and see what things look like.

Sweetpea3829
Tutor

I was thinking that I do close all of the browser windows but...on second thought, that's not always the case.  If I'm working on something, and am interrupted, I might have several tabs left up until I can get back to it.  

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Sweetpea3829

In reference to what Gwalk was mentioning regarding Chrome appearing to be the largest user of data, and how to see what the largest user of data is through Chrome, you can set your view up like the following, making sure to set the option on the right to Month, select Apps on the left, and click on Google Chrome.  This way, everything that you see in hosts will have been accessed via Chrome.  Basically, any websites you went to using Chrome, or things on those websites that played ads or videos.  You can also click on each of those hosts and get an IP address, which can come in handy if you don't recognize the host itself.  You can sometimes find what the host is by performing a search on Google (or other search engine) using that IP address, or even using an IP lookup tool.  Often times you can tell what the hosts are by name, as well.  You can also see the exact amount of data that each host utilized, which can be VERY helpful.  

In the pic below you can see the host I chose and clicked on (you can't see my pointer as it becomes transparent when taking a window snapshot), which opened up the small window to the left, giving addtional info.  This host address is actually common, and I already know from experience that the host is related to Facebook.  A few others listed, like testmy and speedtest, are obvious, while lithium is the HughesNet Community.  You can see that, in addtion to the hosts showing, there are another 1698+ at the bottom that aren't, though you can view them by clicking on that line, as shown in the second picture (again, you can't see my pointer, but it was there)....

You can see that my two largest hosts were jmu.edu, which was an Ubuntu OS download from James Madison University's servers, and testmy.net, which was my speed testing.  

Screenshot (77).jpg

Screenshot (78).jpg

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Sweetpea3829
Tutor

And, I think the slide has begun.  Some pics...

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

GabeU

@Sweetpea3829

It's still a little too early to tell whether there is an uptick in data usage from seeing it with one day, but I can tell you that, from your last Glasswire snapshot, the first host (edge.video....) in the Google breakdown is Facebook, as are the majority of the others showing.  The IP address under that first entry is CloudFlare, which is related to content delivery, though from who I can't say.  Do you go to any news sites?  

Again, it's a little too early to tell.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Sweetpea3829
Tutor

I can't quite tell if there is an uptick, you're right.  I'll spend a little bit of time on here today (the kids' homeschool starts up again today so I'll see what I have for time, lol).  

As for news sites...not really, unless you count Yahoo, lol.  

I just sat down at the laptop for the first time today at...7:25AM.  A small amount of data leakage occurred overnight...not much though.  Current screen shots:

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Sweetpea3829
Tutor

Interestingly, data has been leaking despite my not being on the laptop.  And the kids have been doing lessons, at their desks, without tablets, etc.  

Although, I did have a browser window left open on the laptop...the Hughesnet Usage page.  I don't recall this being an issue the previous three weeks, even when I did leave browser windows open.  

image.pngimage.png

GabeU

@Sweetpea3829

Something that would help.  In the future, when you post your Glasswire pics, please enlarge the box so that it shows more info.   This would help with the hosts as it's only showing the first bit of what each one is, while enlarging the box would show more, which can help when trying to figure out what a host is.  Or, if you know how, you could just widen the box to show more of each listing.  Either way, showing more of each listing is what I'm looking for.  For instance, the first, third, fourth, sixth and eighth host listings in your first pic are abbreviated, but what is not shown might give a better idea what the listing is, and widening the box, or enlarging it fully, would show what the rest of each listing is, or at least more of it.      

Screenshot (86).jpg

Screenshot (87).jpg

Screenshot (88).jpg

Sweetpea3829
Tutor

Gotcha!  

Also, I just put my son on a Galaxy Tablet, playing Prodigy Math.  Just an FYI, for when my data usage is a bit wonky, lol.  It's likely the other three will play Prodigy at some point today, as well.  

image.png