Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sweetpea3829
Tutor

Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

Ok, I posted about this on a similar thread, just a couple of days ago, and that thread has been deleted.  

Every data cycle, we start off doing just fine.  Our data depletes by about 2-3 GB during the first half of the cycle.  Then, during the second half of the cycle, the data just DRAINS.  Nothing changes in our usage from the first half of the cycle to the second half.  

This has been going on for several months.  

To answer some questions I've seen asked of others...

1) Wifi is never left on on any of the devices that we own that use it.  (This would be a number of tablets...all of which have their wifi turned off unless I, specifically, turn it on...only mom knows the password).  

2) Our phones' wifi is turned off (occasionally they are turned on, within range of our Hughesnet modem, but they are never left on, and we do not update under our own Wifi...that's what the YMCA wifi is for).  

3) We are not experiencing data stealing.  Our neighbors are old order Mennonite.  They do not have devices that use wifi.  Plus, we are password protected.  

4) My laptop is not automatically updating.  It only updates when I tell it to, and that's only during the 2AM-8AM time frame.

5) Our satellite TV is NOT connected to the internet.  I can connect it, but have only connected it during the 2AM to 8AM time frame.  

Again, during the first half of the month, I can check FB, email, news stories and watch the occasional short youtube clip and the data depletes at an expected rate.

During the second half...just leaving the modem turned on, and with no actual browsing, is a guaranteed half GB loss each day.  Yesterday evening, I had 2.7 GB left.  This morning I had 2.1  

I have today and tomorrow left in this data cycle and I'm almost guaranteed to run out of data at some point tomorrow, unless I turn off the router and browse only on my phone's data.  

Why is this happening?  And why has this been happening off and on for months?  

319 REPLIES 319

Your  biggest user is Chrome.

One point of concern is that you never show any periods of "disconnect" if you look at your usage time line in the last picture.

Perhaps @GabeU can pop in and show you how to zero in on Chrome and see what aspect of Chrome is using the greatest amount  so we can dig deeper.

@Gwalk900 wrote:

Your  biggest user is Chrome.

One point of concern is that you never show any periods of "disconnect" if you look at your usage time line in the last picture.

Perhaps @GabeU can pop in and show you how to zero in on Chrome and see what aspect of Chrome is using the greatest amount  so we can dig deeper.

This is probably because I rarely reset the laptop.  It's generally always on.  I'd probably turn it off more often if it didn't take 20 minutes to turn back on.  I really need a new laptop, lol.  

I would suggest then to simply  close the browser when not in use and see what things look like.

I was thinking that I do close all of the browser windows but...on second thought, that's not always the case.  If I'm working on something, and am interrupted, I might have several tabs left up until I can get back to it.  

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Sweetpea3829

In reference to what Gwalk was mentioning regarding Chrome appearing to be the largest user of data, and how to see what the largest user of data is through Chrome, you can set your view up like the following, making sure to set the option on the right to Month, select Apps on the left, and click on Google Chrome.  This way, everything that you see in hosts will have been accessed via Chrome.  Basically, any websites you went to using Chrome, or things on those websites that played ads or videos.  You can also click on each of those hosts and get an IP address, which can come in handy if you don't recognize the host itself.  You can sometimes find what the host is by performing a search on Google (or other search engine) using that IP address, or even using an IP lookup tool.  Often times you can tell what the hosts are by name, as well.  You can also see the exact amount of data that each host utilized, which can be VERY helpful.  

In the pic below you can see the host I chose and clicked on (you can't see my pointer as it becomes transparent when taking a window snapshot), which opened up the small window to the left, giving addtional info.  This host address is actually common, and I already know from experience that the host is related to Facebook.  A few others listed, like testmy and speedtest, are obvious, while lithium is the HughesNet Community.  You can see that, in addtion to the hosts showing, there are another 1698+ at the bottom that aren't, though you can view them by clicking on that line, as shown in the second picture (again, you can't see my pointer, but it was there)....

You can see that my two largest hosts were jmu.edu, which was an Ubuntu OS download from James Madison University's servers, and testmy.net, which was my speed testing.  

Screenshot (77).jpg

Screenshot (78).jpg

And, I think the slide has begun.  Some pics...

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

GabeU

@Sweetpea3829

It's still a little too early to tell whether there is an uptick in data usage from seeing it with one day, but I can tell you that, from your last Glasswire snapshot, the first host (edge.video....) in the Google breakdown is Facebook, as are the majority of the others showing.  The IP address under that first entry is CloudFlare, which is related to content delivery, though from who I can't say.  Do you go to any news sites?  

Again, it's a little too early to tell.  

I can't quite tell if there is an uptick, you're right.  I'll spend a little bit of time on here today (the kids' homeschool starts up again today so I'll see what I have for time, lol).  

As for news sites...not really, unless you count Yahoo, lol.  

I just sat down at the laptop for the first time today at...7:25AM.  A small amount of data leakage occurred overnight...not much though.  Current screen shots:

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Interestingly, data has been leaking despite my not being on the laptop.  And the kids have been doing lessons, at their desks, without tablets, etc.  

Although, I did have a browser window left open on the laptop...the Hughesnet Usage page.  I don't recall this being an issue the previous three weeks, even when I did leave browser windows open.  

image.pngimage.png

GabeU

@Sweetpea3829

Something that would help.  In the future, when you post your Glasswire pics, please enlarge the box so that it shows more info.   This would help with the hosts as it's only showing the first bit of what each one is, while enlarging the box would show more, which can help when trying to figure out what a host is.  Or, if you know how, you could just widen the box to show more of each listing.  Either way, showing more of each listing is what I'm looking for.  For instance, the first, third, fourth, sixth and eighth host listings in your first pic are abbreviated, but what is not shown might give a better idea what the listing is, and widening the box, or enlarging it fully, would show what the rest of each listing is, or at least more of it.      

Screenshot (86).jpg

Screenshot (87).jpg

Screenshot (88).jpg

Gotcha!  

Also, I just put my son on a Galaxy Tablet, playing Prodigy Math.  Just an FYI, for when my data usage is a bit wonky, lol.  It's likely the other three will play Prodigy at some point today, as well.  

image.png

GabeU

@Sweetpea3829 wrote:

@macsociety wrote:

How about turn off wifi 2.5 and 5ghz on the router... then you know 100% non of your systems or any neighbor can't be leaching on to get data.  That way only the 1 PC direct connected to the router has access.  Leave that one system off and you should have zero data being used I would say.

TJ

TJ, how does that work?  How would I go about doing that?   

To disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see the section titled "How do I manage my built-in Wi-Fi modem?" in this PDF.  You may have to perform the steps for each radio individually, as unchecking "Enable SSID" on all four, then clicking on "Save Settings", may not actually save your settings.  So uncheck "SSID Enable" on the 2.4Ghz radio, then click "Save Settings", then do the same for each of the other three (2.4 Guest, 5 and 5 Guest). 

This will make sure that absolutely none of your WiFi devices are using your data.    

Also, you should install Glasswire on your computer so you can compare HughesNet's data tally to your computer's, as showing that you're using more data during the second half of the month doesn't really show anything other than you're using more data during the second half of the month.  It's still not evidence of a data drain.  You have to show that data is being depleted that none of your devices used.   

https://www.glasswire.com/  

Under the Usage tab in Glasswire, click on Options, which is to the upper right of the circle graph.  Choose "Incoming & Outgoing" and "External".  

P.S.  Sorry for all the notifications.  Each time I make an edit it sends out another email notification.  

I feel pretty darn confident that the neighbors are not leaching data.  For one, none of them are close enough to leach anything from us, lol.  For another, they are Old Order Mennonites.  All of them.  Think horse and buggy.  They actually come here when they want to use the internet, which isn't very often.  I do some side work for them here and there.  

TJ, how does that work?  How would I go about doing that?  

Not sure if you saw my Avatar but is a Mini Me Amish that kinda looks like me <grin>  I am not Amish nor Mennonite but ever since my teens (I am in my 50s now) I was facinated with the Amish and Mennonite groups.  Every blue moon we even have Amish night so no TV, no lights, etc... and just play cards or read by lantern light.  Used to always love getting the Lehman catalog every year and have tons of books about the Amish.  Have a few plain magazines and newspapers too.  😉

Good luck finding that data drain.  Did you kill off the 2.4 and 5ghz radios on the modem so you know also that you are not leaching on yourself?  I know you said you turned them all off but why not try it... just to me 150% sure.  😉

TJ

GabeU

@macsociety

We have a sizable old order Amish community near here, and until she retired two years ago my mother provided medical care to them, including doing house calls.  She has sometimes said she wishes she could live like them.  She has a lot of books and such concerning the Amish, and she and my stepfather used to vacation every year in Berlin, Ohio.  

Oh, and the Lehman's catalog is fantastic!  

Yeh, I have purchased my fair share from Lehman’s. Hand crank ice cream maker years ago was my last. TJ

Well what good is it to have 25Mbps if all of your data is used up the first few days? I'm having same issue only it was used up in the first two days with no possible way to use that amount of data. This is beyond nonsensical.  I hesitated going with this Hughes Gen 5 but tech said it was good so I did. Now regretting it big time.

Cor, yes. I unplugged the LAN line, and switched off the data. It's still off (I'm using mobile data).

I plugged everything in at 12:41 and here's the screen shot.  

The data does not drain when the modem is off, or the line is unplugged.  It drains when the modem is left on and a page is left up (which, I would expect SOME drain, but not much), and it drains when I'm using it.  But at a faster rate than it typically does.  

image.png 

Maybe for you but I can assure you that there are some of us that, as sweetpea says, pay VERY close attention to usage and know when something is rotten in Denmark. I just started Gen 5, switching from Dish (which was hughes as well), and used, according to them, oaver 14 GB in two days. That is not even possible. I do no streaming, etc., wifi is turned off on the modem, etc. I know my usages and this is not right.

Did you figure out the cause of data loss? I just started the Gen 5 and in first two days it showed I used over 14 gb! It's not possible, not freakin' possible. I don't use that in a whole month normally. I was told to download some app to see where it's going. This is not acceptable and I shouldn't have to do all of this detective work to figure out why it's disappearing when nothing, nothing, has changed from disconnecting from Dish (Hughes) satellite to the Hughes Gen 5.

maratsade

"This is not acceptable and I shouldn't have to do all of this detective work to figure out why it's disappearing"

Yes, you should. It's your network. The company sells you the data, but you're responsible for knowing how it's used.