cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Re: Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

You have to consider start and end times ad well as times monitored.

A hughesnet day  starts at midnight  drawing from your Anytime data ..... until 2 am and thenot from bonus data.

You have to set the Glasswire sliders to define a period  of usage.

Browsers  handle data in different  ways , browser  settings, installed  extention  and their settings  and the type of website  itself.

This why I suggested  you install FF  along with AdBlock extentions  but more importantly  the two HTML5  media and PREFETCH  blockers.

Then, stop using Chrome for one of your website activities  and use FF  with extensions  on  and check performance  and usage amounts from with in  glasswire.

Sweetpea3829
Tutor

Of course...naturally I forgot to jot down when my son came OFF of Prodigy, but it was around 4:00pm.  Hughes shows only 6MB of data was used during that time.  

I shut down the internet connection on my laptop so it would not be able to connect while my son was using his tablet.  So the data from Hughes should ONLY be that tablet during that stretch.  

image.pngimage.png

Sweetpea3829
Tutor

@Gwalk900,

I remember that you suggested I install FF.  I completely forgot about it.  TBH, I'm not sure my laptop can handle a third browser.  I have Explorer on here, too, but rarely use it.  

All of the things you mentioned about how browsers interact with the data differently...I totally get that.  But shouldn't that interaction be consistent from beginning of the cycle to the end?  

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Sweetpea3829

It looks like most of what was done on the computer (189MB) was done during the Bonus Zone period, though it appears at least some of that 20MB was from computer usage, as well, due to Glasswire showing usage around noon (and a small amount a little earlier).  

So far, I'm not seeing anything unusual with my own data usage.  

And are you absolutely sure that nothing other than the computer is connecting without you knowing?  Total Bonus Zone usage is 209MB, but Glasswire isn't showing that much, so it appears something else, besides the computer, is connecting and using data during the Bonus Zone time period.

Edit:  I completely missed your further posts and Gwalk's, and I was going off of the Glasswire and Hughes shots in your post from 2:50PM, which wasn't the latest.  I have to pay better attention.

This snow is driving me nuts.  Sloppy.  Having to clean off my DTV dish every 20 minutes.  Ugh.  I imagine you're getting hit with snow, too.  I wish it was either colder or warmer, but not right at 30 degrees.  Nasty, sloppy stuff.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Sweetpea3829
Tutor

@GabeUwrote:

@Sweetpea3829

It looks like most of what was done on the computer (189MB) was done during the Bonus Zone period, though it appears at least some of that 20MB was from computer usage, as well, due to Glasswire showing usage around noon (and a small amount a little earlier).  

So far, I'm not seeing anything unusual with my own data usage.  

And are you absolutely sure that nothing other than the computer is connecting without you knowing?  Total Bonus Zone usage is 209MB, but Glasswire isn't showing that much, so it appears something else, besides the computer, is connecting and using data during the Bonus Zone time period.

Edit:  I completely missed your further posts and Gwalk's, and I was going off of the Glasswire and Hughes shots in your post from 2:50PM, which wasn't the latest.  I have to pay better attention.

This snow is driving me nuts.  Sloppy.  Having to clean off my DTV dish every 20 minutes.  Ugh.  I imagine you're getting hit with snow, too.  I wish it was either colder or warmer, but not right at 30 degrees.  Nasty, sloppy stuff.  

Sorry Gabe...there's been a ton of posts on this thread, lol.  

The snow started much earlier than they had forecasted here.  So far I have not had any connectivity issues.  We don't usually.  The snow buildup doesn't seem to cause much trouble...but, that said...the satellites both face SE, and the wind whips off the fields from the east...usually blows everything off the driveway and the dish.  

Sweetpea3829
Tutor

Obviously the Internet gods had to prove me wrong. I'm in the red.

We've already got about 4-6" and no wind. No bueno.

Guess I should go clean off the dish.
GabeU

We don't have any real wind here to speak of, but sloppy snow in abundance.  Smiley Tongue

The last time I went out to clean of the dish I heard a tree coming down in the woods behind my folks' house across the street.  This stuff is SO heavy.  The have an old barn that is falling apart, and it wouldn't surprise me if this is the snow that collapses it the rest of the way.  A lot of roofs are going to cave in over the next fifteen hours or so.  Smiley Sad  

It's been a long time since I've seen snow so thick and heavy.  The flakes that were coming down earlier were HUGE.  

We've got about six inches so far.  It's building up so quickly, but it's calmed down for the moment.   With this said, the worst part about this snow is the direction it's coming in...right at the face of the dishes.  Ugh.  

My Hughes dish in on the ground, so it's easy to clean, but my DTV dish is on the corner of the roof, and the only thing I can really do is tap it to get the snow off.  I'm going to buy one of those Webster dusters with a long handle sometime this year as that will come in very handy with the DTV dish.  It's so fat that I should be able to brush off the face of it, though I'll have to have at least a ten or twelve foot handle.  I can always tape one of those Christmas tree light hangers to it as an extension, which is what I use now with an old broom head on the end.  It's enough to tap the back of the dish, but I have to be careful to not do it so hard that it knocks it out of alignment.  That would be BAD.    

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Sweetpea3829
Tutor

Yeah so, I dutifully geared up, went outside with my broom and cleaned off the two dishes (Hughes and DTV).

Came back in and the Hubs checks DTV and still nothing.

Then he says, "So...how exactly did you clean the DTV dish up on the side of the house?"

WUT?

Yeah. I forgot that we had a new dish put in when we upgraded DTV last year. And the new one is waaaaay up on the second floor.

*sigh*

You know what though...I have so much stuff saved in the list...I'll have to just do some binge watching, lol.

We have to keep watch with this heavy stuff. We have two huge maples next to the house and one has a bad cleavage split.

Hope your folks' home and barn fares well! We have the same situation with our barn.
GabeU

I know it's wrong, but I couldn't help but to laugh at that.  Smiley Tongue  

Got it all nice and clean and it's the wrong one.  LOL.

But, I'm with you on having things saved.  I've got so much in my DVR that it would take days to watch it all.  I haven't had to clean in nearly an hour, though.  And I probably just jinxed myself with that.  Smiley Tongue  

I've got a couple of maples in the front, but they're pretty sturdy.  Being up on a hill we've had some pretty nasty winds in the past and they've held up, though little pieces do come off once in a while and one offshoot is dead, so it could come down.  It woudn't do a ton of damage, but it could break a window or something like that.  Still, I think it will be okay.  

GabeU

Well, we now have one foot of snow.   I went out to clean one last time for the night, and though the HughesNet dish had about an inch and a half of snow on it, it was still working.  The DTV dish had the same, and it was still working, too.  Evidently the snow isn't quite as sloppy as it was, but it will be again when it heats up a couple of degrees, and then it's back to cleaning the dishes every twenty minutes.  Ugh.  But that won't be until tomorrow morning, thankfully.