cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

Hopefully it's just that Prodigy used more data this time and it's not related to the data slide.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

@GabeU  Unfortunately, I *think* the data slide has started, and it started early this month.  But I'm going to monitor.  Real quick because I'm way behind on school today (due to a certain puppy getting out of the house and leading us on a two hour chase).  This is where we are.  I just downloaded an e-book to my daughter's Kindle, something I normally do during off-peak hours but she needs it sooner rather than later.  

Current stats as of 2:08pm on 3/12 (not including GW, I'll throw those up later).

image.pngThis was 72% literally two minutes ago.This was 72% literally two minutes ago.

Highlighted

Yeah, data is tanking.  It's way too early in the month for this.  I'll be out of data by week's end if this keeps up at this rate.  :-(  For the record, aside from turning on my daughter's tablet and uploading an e-book, the kids' devices have all had their wifi disabled.  

It would be nice if somebody from Hughesnet would be able to address why this is happening every single month.  

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Highlighted
Freshman

I will agree that this is also happening in our system.  we are still on Gen 4 and for the last several months we have been running out of data way before the end of the month.  Our cell phones are using cell data, so they are not draining our Hughes net wifi.  Last month we were gone for the first 11 days of the month.   We ran out of data on February 25th or so. Smart Browsing works so that is a plus. We are very careful at all times to not download updates unless it is between 2 am and 8 am. 

Right now we are looking at having only 42% of our 10GB data remaining for March.  This happens every single month, it seems.  By the middle of the month or shortly thereafter we are running out of data.  No Smart TV's here or anything.  Just the normal stuff we have been doing for years.  Not happy that we run out of data month after month when nothing has changed. 

Not at all itnerested in upgrading to Gen5 because that would put us on a new 2 year contract and cable has been expanding in our area and we are hopeul to have cable in the next 6 months or so.  

Highlighted

@Rob, the interesting thing in our case is that data loss is pretty steady and moderate for the first part of our data cycle, but then towards the middle and end of the cycle, it deletes much faster. It's so weird.
Highlighted

So that's 429MB between 2:08PM and 8:21PM, but how much of that was the laptop and how much the other things?  If you can set the Glasswire to calculate the data between those times we'll know what was used by the laptop and then what was used by other things.  Make sure to set it for ALL, like in the first Glasswire pic of your most recent post, rather than for Chrome, like in the second Glasswire pic. If we can't figure out from the ALL pic what is using all of the data with your laptop and Chrome, we can also narrow the search to Chrome later, but lately the majority of your laptop data has been Chrome, and the biggest parts of what Chrome is using we can see on the hosts section of the ALL pic.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

@GabeU  Here you go.  I'm going to make a separate reply with the starting data for today.  But on this GW pic, do you see where there's that dead zone a little after 3pm?  That's where I shut down the wifi to the laptop, so that data wasn't being used unnecessarily for page reloads, etc.  Also, I can't remember what time it was that I downloaded the e-book to my daughter's Kindle.  But I think it was after 2pm.  Probably.  

Edit: Derp, I downloaded the ebook right around 2pm, because that's when I had posted earlier, lol.  

image.png

Highlighted

Current stats as of this morning. I will be shutting down the wifi to the laptop as soon as I'm done.  There's a pretty good chance I'll have a kid or two on Prodigy later today.  If so, I'll post about it.  

image.pngimage.pngGW for the month so farGW for the month so farGW for all of yesterday.  HN shows I used 1.6 GB of data yesterday.GW for all of yesterday. HN shows I used 1.6 GB of data yesterday.

Highlighted

@Sweetpea3829

Wow.  So that's around 262MB, give or take, that was used by something other than your laptop during that time.  And really, because of Gen4's data compression, it's most likely quite a bit more than that.

And 1.6GB yesterday?  With Glasswire figured in, that's about 1.2GB of something other than your laptop, but again, because of Gen4's data compression, it's likely much higher than that.  

With that said, I've never trusted the amounts given on the data graph, as they often don't add up right to the given total.  I checked mine and they do this month, but I've had months where my total usage showed one amount, let's say 15GB, and the total usage figured by adding up the days' totals from that graph show something much higher.  

Highlighted

Would an ebook be about that much data? How would I even find out?

That ebook is the only thing downloaded outside of the laptop. Everything else was off.