cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

Distinguished Professor I

Re: Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

@Sweetpea3829wrote:
Would an ebook be about that much data? How would I even find out?

That ebook is the only thing downloaded outside of the laptop. Everything else was off.

I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem likely.  That seems extremely high for an ebook.  I just checked and the typical size for a kindle ebook is 1.87MB.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

@Sweetpea3829

If your router has remained powered over the last couple of days, I would find the section in it that shows what has been connected, as it sounds like you've got a massive data drain somewhere.  It's possible you've got something connected that you aren't aware of.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

How do I do that? The router is always powered/on.

The only other thing I can think of that might be using data is the wireless printer. But it shouldn't use that much.

That's what I'm saying though. I still think HN is calculating wrong. I don't know how. But it doesn't make sense that everything is hunky dory the first part of the cycle and then it goes haywire the rest.

@Sweetpea3829wrote:
How do I do that? The router is always powered/on.

The only other thing I can think of that might be using data is the wireless printer. But it shouldn't use that much.

That's what I'm saying though. I still think HN is calculating wrong. I don't know how. But it doesn't make sense that everything is hunky dory the first part of the cycle and then it goes haywire the rest.

Actually, you wouldn't think so, but those printers can use a tremendous amount of data, especially if they get into some type of failure loop when trying to "call home".  They'll keep trying, over and over and over.  

What brand and model of router do you have?  

It's a Belkin N150 router. Model F9K1009V2

The printer is a Brother HL-2270DW. I also have an old Dell Printer that I use for scanning. It doesn't print, and the WiFi on it hasn't worked in years.

@Sweetpea3829wrote:
It's a Belkin N150 router. Model F9K1009V2

Unfortunately, I can't find anything in the user's manual regarding connected devices.  I'm relatively sure that somewhere in the router's settings there's a place to view them, but I have no idea where.  I've never used a Belkin router and I have no clue what its GUI looks like.

Perhaps someone who does have a Belkin router, or someone who's at least familar with them, might be able to help in this area.  

Edit:  I did find router monitoring software for Belkin routers, but it's not listed for your model.  Smiley Sad  

Highlighted

@GabeU Thanks for taking a look though, I appreciate it!

The Wifi to the laptop has been off since this morning.  I just reconnected it for lunch.  There have been no tablets, no phones, nothing utilizing HN data.  Current midday stats.  As you can see, approx 100MB were used during the time when everything was off.  It's not a significant amount but yet...it sort of is.  

image.pngimage.png

And going back off now that lunch/recess is over.  Current stats.  Notice that GW and HN are pretty much in agreement as far as data used during the past half hour.  Which is interesting considering the Gen 4 data compression has always put HN considerably lower than GW.  

image.pngimage.png

@Sweetpea3829

The next time you're in a position where nothing is going to be using the internet, note your current data on the HughesNet data page (the one you've been posting snapshots of (not the graph)), then disconnect the LAN cable that connects your router to the HughesNet modem.  When you note the data reading, give it a second to catch up due to the lag, and refresh the amount with that little round doohickey to the upper right of the circle graphs, then note it and disconnect the cable.   When you are going to use the internet again, reconnect the cable and go back onto the HughesNet data page and check the data again.  You only need to disconnect one end of the cable, and it doesn't matter if it's the modem or router end of it.

I'd be willing to bet that, other than the data it's going to take to check the data page again, which shouldn't even be 1MB, you'll see nothing is used. 

Though I know that nothing should have used data during this present time (today), as you had your laptop off and there were no tablets or phones connecting, I'd be willing to bet that something is still legitimately using data that you aren't aware of, and performing the above, on the spot modem isolation test will show that.