cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

Highlighted

Re: Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

And literally, just posting the previous comment and googling a phone number for the neighbor...so much data being used.  

image.png

Highlighted

Hi,

I just pulled up your account to check, I see you're using the HT1100, so we wouldn't be able to see what devices are connected to your network.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

I was hoping that there was possibly a way, as I don't know much about networking and what can and can't be seen, but from reading various Community posts over time I didn't think they'd be able to see what's connected via a 3rd party router and the HT1100.  It's unfortunate.  Smiley Sad  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

So there's really not going to be a solution for this, unless I buy another router? 😕

I left the WiFi on and data used is now 3879 MB, up from 3843. But we haven't done anything. (I'm on my phone right now).

@Liz, you can't tell me why the rate of data loss increases later in the cycle?

Because I've documented for several months that the data usage is consistent and moderate in threw beginning and then erratic and excessive during the latter part of the cycle. Nobody can explain why?
Highlighted

Current stats as of this morning.  GW for all data on 314/18GW for all data on 314/18GW so far on 3/15/18GW so far on 3/15/18HN as of 7:40AM on  on 3/15/18HN as of 7:40AM on on 3/15/18

Highlighted

Ok.  I started this thread at the end of November, and I have been documenting data usage since.  We're going on four months now.  @GabeU and several other HN users have been quite helpful in trying to troubleshoot with me, but we have not been able to identify anything specific.  

And yet, there is clearly a problem.  

@Liz, I have heard nothing of any value from HN.  You guys are the moderators of this forum.  This particular section is for Tech Support.  WHERE IS THE TECH SUPPORT?  My patience with this is starting to run thin.  Honestly, I do not have tons of time to be sitting here documenting usage every month, while I still hear nothing from HN.  I have four homeschooled kids at home who rely on this internet for a number of various purposes and as it currently works, we are being snowed every single month.  

I started out yesterday morning, month to date, with 3790MB used in Regular Data.  And 2431 MB used in overnight data.  This morning, I have 4230MB used in regular data and 2546 MB used in overnight data.  That's a total of 555MB of data used, by my laptop, since yesterday morning at 11AM.  

Glasswire shows 349.9MB used during that same time period.  No, none of our external devices were on.  None of them have been used  and they're all stacked right next to me where I'm sitting.  My kids have wanted to use their tablets, but I have been telling them no, precisely because I want to keep the data used strictly to the laptop.  

Obviously, there's a gap in usage.  206 MB is not huge, but it's big enough!  Moreover, when we look at the data from early in every single data cycle, we see that GW always shows MORE data being used than what HN shows.  @GabeU was kind enough to explain that this is due to the Gen4 data compression.  

I would appreciate answers, again from HN ( @Liz )  as to why this is not consistent across my data cycle.  Why am I able to be online for hours in the beginning of the cycle and lose little data, but towards the middle/end of the cycle, I can't even be on for five minutes without the usage tanking?  

Every single month, our usage graph looks like this: image.png

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Sweatpea3829, to really prove data drain on HughesNet side, not yours, you must turn off your modem/router and do the test as explained in the early replies to this thread. Just turning off your laptop and monitoring Glasswire which is only installed on your laptop does not show if data is being consumed by other devices in your house like the kids tablets. 

The mods have no way of verifying anything where use might be going either since you have the HT1100 modem and it doesn't show the devices connected to it.

Only thing I would suggest at this point is to go back to square one. Take a snapshot of data use before going to bed, turn off the modem, get up and turn the modem back on and immediately get a snapshot of use. CORROSIVE explained the procedure back in November.

Just disconnecting your laptop from the WiFi doesn't mean data isn't being used elswhere if your modem and router are still turned on.

PS: Be sure to take the snapshot after 10 minutes of no Internet use just to be sure the meters have caught up before turning off the modem.

Highlighted

I've done that test, several times. It shows no data is being used when the router is unplugged.

But that's more is a side issue anyways. The main reason I came here is because the rate data depletes is not consistent from the beginning of the month to the end.

If a Web page uses 5MB of data in the beginning, it's using 10MB in the end. And that's happening for ALL of the Web pages.

Look back a couple of pages. I had my kids on a math game website. In the beginning of the month, it used very little data. The last time they played, which is about when the slide had begun, the same website used much more data.

I'm going to try and get them on it again today and see what it looks like.
Highlighted

Good morning Sweetpea,

We don't monitor your home network to the point where we can tell what and how much data is being used, that's why we suggest Glasswire or other data monitoring apps for your home network. Sorry for the delay in responding to your latest question, I just wanted to get confirmation from engineering that there isn't anything on our side that would be causing this pattern of faster data depletion that you're noticing.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

So pretty much there's no help from HN on this? No answer on why the data use is inconsistent? Nothing can be done?

You do see the inconsistencies here, right? Every month, that usage chart shows the same thing...stay usage and then a sharp slide.