Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

@gunnerdog

This thread is about a particular subject.  Please have respect for the OP and the people trying to help her by not posting your unrelated complaints on this thread.  

Thank you.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

@maratsadewrote:

Does the Kindle still constantly download stuff from Amazon?  I had to turn off the wifi on mine because the thing inhaled data, what with the constant updating from Amazon.

No, all of the Kindle devices have the Wifi turned off.  They are primarily used for e-reading, and my kids use a dictionary/thesaurus app on theirs.  Occasionally, I'll let them use theirs to play Prodigy, but that hasn't been the case in quite some time, as Prodigy isn't 100% compatible with the Kindle tablets.  It works, but it's glitchy.  

My dinosaur Kindle doesn't really have anything at all that updates/downloads except for when I add a book to it.  And I haven't turned it's wifi on in a long time because I have a six-book series on there that's technically expired from the Drive library and the moment I turn on the Wifi, it'll pull those books off, lol . (I have one and a half more books to finish in the series!).  

The kids' Kindles...if I have to turn on their Wifi, I try to do it only during off-peak hours.  One of them had taken fifty million pictures or so of random nothingness...and then clicked on something that told the Kindle to upload ALL of them to a backup cloud.  This was last spring...I paused the upload, but haven't been able to figure out how to get rid of it completely, lol.  Obviously, I don't want their fifty million pictures of random things (dog ear, counter, nose, grass, etc) uploading to any cloud, lol.  So I have to watch that tablet carefully, when the Wifi is turned on. 

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor I

I love the random pictures.  LOL.   From what I've seen in gallery exhibits, photographers do this kind of thing a lot and make a tonne of money selling those things! I remember a photo of a cracked paving stone that was selling for quite a bit of money. So your child's got something there!

I have one of the first Kindle Fire models, so it's relatively old.  Before that I had a very basic Kindle that had its own AT&T WiFi that was limited to using a couple of things online, like Wikipedia and I don't remember what else.  I never had a problem with that one until it died, and then I got the Fire, and it ate through tons of data. Those were the days when we only got 240 MB or so a day, and it put me in FAP often until I turned off the WiFi and only turned if on during bonus time. Nowadays I use the Kindle apps more often than the actual Kindle.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@Sweetpea3829wrote: 

One of them had taken fifty million pictures or so of random nothingness...and then clicked on something that told the Kindle to upload ALL of them to a backup cloud.  This was last spring...I paused the upload, but haven't been able to figure out how to get rid of it completely, lol.  Obviously, I don't want their fifty million pictures of random things (dog ear, counter, nose, grass, etc) uploading to any cloud, lol.  So I have to watch that tablet carefully, when the Wifi is turned on. 

The Cloud.  The bane of capped internet services.  Smiley Tongue  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Junior

Did you figure out the cause of data loss? I just started the Gen 5 and in first two days it showed I used over 14 gb! It's not possible, not freakin' possible. I don't use that in a whole month normally. I was told to download some app to see where it's going. This is not acceptable and I shouldn't have to do all of this detective work to figure out why it's disappearing when nothing, nothing, has changed from disconnecting from Dish (Hughes) satellite to the Hughes Gen 5.

Highlighted
Junior

Maybe for you but I can assure you that there are some of us that, as sweetpea says, pay VERY close attention to usage and know when something is rotten in Denmark. I just started Gen 5, switching from Dish (which was hughes as well), and used, according to them, oaver 14 GB in two days. That is not even possible. I do no streaming, etc., wifi is turned off on the modem, etc. I know my usages and this is not right.

Highlighted
Junior

Well what good is it to have 25Mbps if all of your data is used up the first few days? I'm having same issue only it was used up in the first two days with no possible way to use that amount of data. This is beyond nonsensical.  I hesitated going with this Hughes Gen 5 but tech said it was good so I did. Now regretting it big time.

Highlighted

"This is not acceptable and I shouldn't have to do all of this detective work to figure out why it's disappearing"

Yes, you should. It's your network. The company sells you the data, but you're responsible for knowing how it's used.

Highlighted
Junior

That wasn't my point. I KNOW how my data is used, THAT is the point. Up until the very moment the Dish was disconnected and the moment the Gen5 was connected amd started using absolutely nothing had changed, nothing. Same everything except the service. There is no possible way I used 15+ gb of data in two days. I almost never use that in an entire month! That is my point. It's very clear by the posts on just this community that it's a common problem. I see by other posts that the Gen5 has poor compression compared to Gen4 so you are "charged" for using far more data with Gen5 than Gen4. Now, what good is having higher speeds, if indeed you do, and a larger data plan if you use over twice the data for the same usage? Of course it doesn't make sense and that in itself is a scam because it's never revealed to a prospective customer (at least in my case it wasn't) that you will now use far, far more of your plan doing nothing different. Not acceptable.

Highlighted

It looks like you don't want to see how your data is being used, so there's nothing that can be done for you until you actually look to see if something else may have changed.  This is on you -- it's in your own best interest to see what's going on.   You are expecting the company to do your homework for you -- that's not going to happen, and right now you're standing in your own way.