Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sweetpea3829
Tutor

Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

Ok, I posted about this on a similar thread, just a couple of days ago, and that thread has been deleted.  

Every data cycle, we start off doing just fine.  Our data depletes by about 2-3 GB during the first half of the cycle.  Then, during the second half of the cycle, the data just DRAINS.  Nothing changes in our usage from the first half of the cycle to the second half.  

This has been going on for several months.  

To answer some questions I've seen asked of others...

1) Wifi is never left on on any of the devices that we own that use it.  (This would be a number of tablets...all of which have their wifi turned off unless I, specifically, turn it on...only mom knows the password).  

2) Our phones' wifi is turned off (occasionally they are turned on, within range of our Hughesnet modem, but they are never left on, and we do not update under our own Wifi...that's what the YMCA wifi is for).  

3) We are not experiencing data stealing.  Our neighbors are old order Mennonite.  They do not have devices that use wifi.  Plus, we are password protected.  

4) My laptop is not automatically updating.  It only updates when I tell it to, and that's only during the 2AM-8AM time frame.

5) Our satellite TV is NOT connected to the internet.  I can connect it, but have only connected it during the 2AM to 8AM time frame.  

Again, during the first half of the month, I can check FB, email, news stories and watch the occasional short youtube clip and the data depletes at an expected rate.

During the second half...just leaving the modem turned on, and with no actual browsing, is a guaranteed half GB loss each day.  Yesterday evening, I had 2.7 GB left.  This morning I had 2.1  

I have today and tomorrow left in this data cycle and I'm almost guaranteed to run out of data at some point tomorrow, unless I turn off the router and browse only on my phone's data.  

Why is this happening?  And why has this been happening off and on for months?  

319 REPLIES 319

That wasn't my point. I KNOW how my data is used, THAT is the point. Up until the very moment the Dish was disconnected and the moment the Gen5 was connected amd started using absolutely nothing had changed, nothing. Same everything except the service. There is no possible way I used 15+ gb of data in two days. I almost never use that in an entire month! That is my point. It's very clear by the posts on just this community that it's a common problem. I see by other posts that the Gen5 has poor compression compared to Gen4 so you are "charged" for using far more data with Gen5 than Gen4. Now, what good is having higher speeds, if indeed you do, and a larger data plan if you use over twice the data for the same usage? Of course it doesn't make sense and that in itself is a scam because it's never revealed to a prospective customer (at least in my case it wasn't) that you will now use far, far more of your plan doing nothing different. Not acceptable.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

It looks like you don't want to see how your data is being used, so there's nothing that can be done for you until you actually look to see if something else may have changed.  This is on you -- it's in your own best interest to see what's going on.   You are expecting the company to do your homework for you -- that's not going to happen, and right now you're standing in your own way.

@deserthaven

True story.

I am  going down for the count with cancer and no longer have the strength to work the hard cases.

Your not givend appears to be closed but data can be used, connections  can be made in the strangest ways.

I have given my password to my daughter but for two days running  she was able to connect . ....... through  my printer.

Keep an open mind, rule  nothing  out, everything  is suspect until proven not guilty..

Kill all four HT2000W  wireless frequencies.

Buy a router  that  tracks  data per device. My choice was a Asus  RT-AC3100.

I don't have a closed mind, just have already done all of the normal checks and the "coincidence" can't be just that. That's my point. The data usage started immediately upon the switch to Gen5 and is massively larger than ever before. That's not coincidence and it's not a closed mind. All of the wifi connections on the modem/router have been turned off. The "connections" would have to be directly to my computer and absolutely nothing is different from the morning that my other service was disconnected and the hour the new Gen5 was connected. This is my point. All of these suggestions from people, including moderators, are just bypassing the problem and wasting time and space. We are not all ignorant of how to use the basic internet connections, computers and browsers. Something is different, clearly, and it's not acceptable. I am truly very sympathetic to your health issues and you do not need to respond. I am looking for someone, anyone, to have a real answer as to why this is happening to NUMEROUS customers of Hughenet and to have a solution. This is certainly not good business.

That's really not an accurate comment. You see, just the fact that someone is expected to believe that somehow, magically, something on the customers end changed literally from one minute to the next and is continuing to drain data is just irresponsible and pathetic. None of the replies I've seen from posters with this issue are really being taken seriously as the same steps are being repeated over and over and over even after the op has stated those things have been done, repeatedly. If it was the lack of adequate compression of the Gen5 compared to data compression of the Gen4, that would explain my issue, maybe, at least to a degree, but that wouldn't explain the poster that's been asking about this for now over 4 months and is on the Gen4. When all wifi is off, nothing but one computer, the same one, with the same programs, the same settings, etc., being used exactly the same and even less at times, is purportedly using over 3 times the data as the hour before when on another system, is just absurd and uncalled for.

@Gwalk900  I am so sorry to hear about your illness, and the progression it has taken.  😞  I will be praying for you, friend.  

@deserthaven really does have a point guys.  This issue started for me about a year ago with that whole stupid April the Giraffe thing.  Because I noticed I could watch youtube for a considerable length of time during the beginning of the month and then towards the middle and end, even just a minute of youtube would drain data in a ridiculous way.  

But at first, I thought it was a fluke...so I watched, and watched.  I noticed that my science lessons (which I cast from the laptop to the TV) would be fine at the beginning of the month, but towards the middle/end, the data would just drain so much faster.

I have done my legwork.  I should not have to pay more money to purchase a router that can monitor every single byte when I can plainly see (as can anybody who's been following this drama for the past four months) through anecdotal evidence that the data tanks around the middle to end of the month, every single month.  I know how much usage works.  I know what my kids are doing online (practically nothing, except for that math game I occasionally allow them to play).  This is pretty clearly a HN issue and as such, HN should be the one doing the research.  Not the consumer.  

That said, I understand the need for "proof".  I understand that my case could well be perceived as a BS case where I am doing something on my end and not showing it.  WHY would I waste so much time here doing that, though...seriously...I am a homeschooling mom of four, running around to a billion different kid activities...like I have time play these games.  But, I'm willing to play along and do what needs to be done.  

Hopefully tonight, overnight, I can gather up all of our devices and see if I can establish a data usage rate.  I plan on using each device for 30 minutes streaming music from klove.com.  The data used for each device should be approximately the same.  Next month, at the beginning of the cycle, I will run the same test and we can compare.  The reason I'm going to do this overnight is so I do not drain the anytime data that is desperately needed.  

Here's the thing.   As a consumer, this is incredibly frustrating.  I have extremely limited options for internet where I live.  I've done the Verizon MiFi (back in 2011, when we first moved here), and it was miserable.  Constantly dropped signal, very low data allowance (much lower than HN, but interestingly, running out of data wasn't as big of an issue).  We have our cell phones but the mobile data is often difficult to work with and pages do not work as they necessarily should.  

Because of where we live, hard-wired internet is not an option, and it's not likely ever going to be ( @GabeU, check your PM for an update on that, btw).  HN more or less has us by the cahoonas.  If I want internet, without having to run down into our village to use the library, HN is it.  Mark my words though...if something else comes along...ANYTHING else....I'm out of here.  HN doesn't give me much reason  to stay.  

GabeU

@deserthaven

Your issue is different than the OP's.  If you'd like help in figuring out what's using your data, and how to slow it down or stop it, please start a new topic in tech support.  Please don't hijack this thread with complaints that are unrelated to the OP's issue.    

On a side note, whether Gen5 uses more data than Gen4 for the same things doesn't make Gen5 a scam, and whether HughesNet is aware that it uses more data for the same things or not doesn't matter.  As long as HughesNet doesn't "charge" you for more data than you've actually used, that's all that matters.  If, when using Gen4, one tenth of the data you've used is actually tabulated, and then you upgrade to Gen5 and start getting "charged" for every bite, it doesn't matter.  The one tenth mentioned is an arbitrary number, but again, whether Gen5 uses more data than Gen4 for the same things doesn't matter as long as you're not being charged for more data than you're actually using.  

On a further side note, when addressing specific posts on a long thread like this, please either quote the post or at least the person you are replying to.  Not doing so can make it difficult to figure out just who your'e replying to or what post you're referring to.  

Good evening, morning, WHATEVS everyone!  I'm going to begin my data test with our devices, etc., now that it is past 2AM.  I'm going to stream 30 minutes through an online music site, klove.com.  (I love me some Christian music...here's hoping I can keep the singing down...don't want to wake the fam).  

For each device, I'm going to note the data start, data end.  I'm going to show screen cap pics from GW, and from HN to document how much data is being used.  As I listed before, we have four Kindle Fires, two Galaxy Tabs, the laptop, my cell phone and I have one additional Kindle Fire which will not be part of the test (my dinosaur Fire).  None of these devices are capable of updating apps, as they all are pretty "full".  The kids' Kindles have little in the way of apps anyways...mostly just books.  I will monitor to make sure there aren't any backup things going on, such as automatic uploading of pics to the "cloud".  

In order to maintain integrity of the test, I'm going to disconnect the WiFi to my laptop when it is not the device being tested.  That said, I'm going to start with the laptop.  

I'm going to have a separate post for each device, with it's own pics.  I'll see if I can compile all of it into one later.  Hopefully I can finish all of the devices before my husband gets up for work (though looking at the time, I don't think that's going to happen).  If not, I'll finish once he leaves and/or tomorrow night.  I am hoping to get some kids on Prodigy so we can compare the data usage from earlier this month.  

@Liz @Amanda

Beginning stats:

Please note, we are watching the Bonus Zone, as it is past 2AM

GW this past week.  No other devices were on all week.GW this past week. No other devices were on all week.image.png

Ok, Laptop...start at approx 2:23AM.

Starting data: 4388MB

image.pngimage.png

Ending data:

End at 2:53AM

Ending data is 4430, for a difference of 42MB.  

GW shows 31.1MB used during that timeframe. image.pngimage.png

I may have to bust out in song. This is one of my favs (awww, bummer...I can't post a pic from my cell phone).

Anyways, it's Fierce, by Jesus Culture. Awesome song. Very 90s. I'm going to have to mute this if I intend on getting anything done, lol.

Next up...my cell phone.  

Start at 3AM, data is at 4444 MB

Turning off Wifi for the laptop.  image.png

End at 3:30AM

Data end: 4725MB for a total use of 281MB during that half hour (considerably higher than the laptop, which is odd).  

GW shows 519KB used by the laptop during that time, a small amount, and it was actually less, but I forgot to screen cap GW just before turning on the Wifi for the laptop, lol.  

Laptop Wifi is off.Laptop Wifi is off.image.png

GabeU

@Sweetpea3829

I commend you on your diligence, even with the knowledge that you're not really going to be able to show why your data tabulation is higher during the second half of your cycle, and being able to show why is the whole ball of wax.  

Here's the ultimate problem with this and Gen4.  Even if you had the latest and greatest Nighthawk router with the most recent Merlin firmware and you could monitor every bit of data each device is using, individually and collectively, and you could break it down to whatever time span you want to, in the end, even if you show that during the first half of the data cycle your router showed 10GB of data usage and HughesNet  6GB, and during the second half of the data cycle the router showed 10GB of data usage and HughesNet 9GB, HughesNet's total data tally will still be less than your router's total data tally.  That's the problem with a service that has data compression, while at the same time that compression helps you save data.  It'd be the same if you only used a single device, like your laptop, and you could show that with Glasswire.  The HughesNet data tally would still be, in the end, under what your actual usage tally showed.  Again, though, I have to stress that the data compression is only my logical assumption as to why HughesNet's tally was always lower than my own with Gen4.  I used to rarely use my laptop or notebook, so for many of the months the only thing that was connected was my LAN cable connected desktop.  Because of that, it was pretty easy to compare the data tallies.  Some months the data tallies would be closer, but HughesNet's was always lower, and sometimes by as much as 40% or more. 

Again, I really do commend you on your diligence, and I know it's very frustrating for you.  I just don't want you to get your hopes up with regard to anything changing.  If you showed that you're actually being "charged" for more data than you're using, that's a different story, but even if you had the tools to measure everything, I still don't believe that would be the case.  

By the way, LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!   I think it might be something that would work well for monitoring the data usage on your Galaxy tablets and your cell phone (if they have the Android OS).  You should take a look at it.  Glasswire for Android?  Heck yeah!   🙂 🙂 🙂 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glasswire.android&hl=en

The only thing I can find regarding monitoring data usage on the Kindle Fire keeps mentioning the "mobile network", so I don't know if there is a way to monitor total data usage, or even data usage via its WiFi connection.  If you know how, it'd be a good idea to monitor it.  

@GabeUwrote:

@Sweetpea3829

I commend you on your diligence, even with the knowledge that you're not really going to be able to show why your data tabulation is higher during the second half of your cycle, and being able to show why is the whole ball of wax.  

Here's the ultimate problem with this and Gen4.  Even if you had the latest and greatest Nighthawk router with the most recent Merlin firmware and you could monitor every bit of data each device is using, individually and collectively, and you could break it down to whatever time span you want to, in the end, even if you show that during the first half of the data cycle your router showed 10GB of data usage and HughesNet  6GB, and during the second half of the data cycle the router showed 10GB of data usage and HughesNet 9GB, HughesNet's total data tally will still be less than your router's total data tally.  That's the problem with a service that has data compression, while at the same time that compression helps you save data.  It'd be the same if you only used a single device, like your laptop, and you could show that with Glasswire.  The HughesNet data tally would still be, in the end, under what your actual usage tally showed.  Again, though, I have to stress that the data compression is only my logical assumption as to why HughesNet's tally was always lower than my own with Gen4.  I used to rarely use my laptop or notebook, so for many of the months the only thing that was connected was my LAN cable connected desktop.  Because of that, it was pretty easy to compare the data tallies.  Some months the data tallies would be closer, but HughesNet's was always lower, and sometimes by as much as 40% or more. 

Again, I really do commend you on your diligence, and I know it's very frustrating for you.  I just don't want you to get your hopes up with regard to anything changing.  If you showed that you're actually being "charged" for more data than you're using, that's a different story, but even if you had the tools to measure everything, I still don't believe that would be the case.  

By the way, LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!   I think it might be something that would work well for monitoring the data usage on your Galaxy tablets and your cell phone (if they have the Android OS).  You should take a look at it.  Glasswire for Android?  Heck yeah!   🙂 🙂 🙂 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glasswire.android&hl=en

The only thing I can find regarding monitoring data usage on the Kindle Fire keeps mentioning the "mobile network", so I don't know if there is a way to monitor total data usage, or even data usage via its WiFi connection.  If you know how, it'd be a good idea to monitor it.  

@GabeU, I hear ya.  But my point right now is to prove that the rate of date depletion is not consistent.  And it should be.  As consumers, I think it's a reasonable expectation that we should be able to have an awareness and understanding of HOW our data is used.  Especially (ESPECIALLY) given that HN is being awarded that grant by NY to provide "broadband" to us rural internet users and that they're supposed to fall within certain parameters of data caps, etc.  

How is it fair to us users if we cannot even determine accurately how our data is being accounted for?  At what point in my data cycle do I need to start being careful because the compression is no longer working?  Or whatever the explanation ends up being as to why data depletes slower at the beginning than at the middle and end?  

If HN cannot even guarantee consistent data depletion, than how in the world are they going to accomplish the requirements of Cuomo's Broadband initiative?  

I will have to look into those monitoring tools you mentioned.  Not right now though, lol.  It's already almost 4AM and I've only done two devices!  

Ok, next up...Samsung Galaxy Tab A (the "white tablet").

Starting time: 3:48

Starting data: 4867

image.png

Ending time: 4:18AM

Ending Data: 4912MB for a total use of 45MB

GW showed practically no data use during that timeframe.  

image.pngimage.png

GabeU

@Sweetpea3829wrote: 

If HN cannot even guarantee consistent data depletion, than how in the world are they going to accomplish the requirements of Cuomo's Broadband initiative?  

Cuomo can't even accomplish the requirements of Cuomo's Broadband Initiative.  LOL.  😛  

But, all joking aside, there is one way...upgrading to Gen5, but then you're going to use more data than you presently are.  

We all know it's a political stunt, lol. It benefits very few of the actual rural residents who need it.

Instead, residents who already had Internet are getting better Internet while the rest of us are in the dust.

I have a few emails out and am hoping media might pick it up (coincidentally, my son's swim coach from last year is 13Whams' Mary Snyder's wife).

I'm not holding my breath though.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure you're right about the Gen5. They're going to tell me I should upgrade to solve this problem. Of course, that's not really going to solve anything.

Dollars to donuts though...Dollars to donuts the NY HN plans will only be available for Gen5.

Next up...Samsung Galaxy Tab A (the "black tablet").

Start time: 4:24AM

Start data:4938 MB

image.png

End time: 4:54AM

End data: 4980, for a total of 42MB used.

GW showed no data use during that half hour.  

image.pngimage.png

Black tablet is going to have to be last for now. My hubs is due for work at 7 and he starts stirring around 5, lol. I'll see if I can get a kindle in there after he leaves for work.

That said, I'm exhausted and need a nap, lol.

Weirdest thing...

HN, I don't get you.

I've spent the better part of today using the laptop off and on, as I'm trying to get the kids' science semester finalized and ready (for Monday...ACK!).  I've been waiting for HN to go into FAP all day...because I started with just a bit over 1GB left.  If even that.  

I've been downloading small resources here and there, Googling, Pinteresting, little bit of FB here and there (shhhh...), and I still haven't used the entire last GB.  I even spent a good chunk of time dealing with Toys R Us website because one of my boys is turning 10 in April and the order I placed with TRU over a week ago still has yet to even ship.  

Obviously, I also haven't had time to sit and test any of the Kindle Fire tablets because I'm just swamped.  

But it's so weird because the data depletion today is more like what I'm experiencing at the beginning of a data cycle.  Not the end.  I don't know what to make of it. 

So, current stats...

image.pngimage.pngimage.png  

Oh...for the record...once April hits, I won't have a whole heck of a lot of time to really deal with this much.  Baseball season is our busiest.  They finish up in June (unless somebody makes All-Stars, in which case, kiss summer goodbye).  

Have had some personal stuff going on this month, even aside from baseball season, and have really not had time to pay much attention but...for the sake of documenting stats...

The "slide" began earlier this month than usual.  It did last month, too.  For both months, the slide appears to have begun around the end of the first week of the cycle.  

The gradient drop was less sharp this month than past months.  Still, there is an evident part of the slope where the gradient does take a turn.  GW does not show a significant uptick in usage from one part of the month to another.  The data discrepancy between GW and HN is about 1GB with HN showing higher use.  And actually, the discrepancy is much higher when we include the HN data that was used during bonus hours.  There, the discrepancy is about 4GB.  I can assure you, there has not been 4GB of data used by nonlaptop devices.  

Regardless, these are the current images.  I will try and grab some images at the end of the cycle, if I can remember.  Baseball season will be in full go by that point (well...if we can ever get some SPRING WEATHER).  

April's MTD graphApril's MTD graphMarch's final graphMarch's final graphHN Usage MTD for AprilHN Usage MTD for AprilGW April MTD AllGW April MTD AllGW April MTD Chrome UsageGW April MTD Chrome Usage