cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

@Sweetpea3829

I commend you on your diligence, even with the knowledge that you're not really going to be able to show why your data tabulation is higher during the second half of your cycle, and being able to show why is the whole ball of wax.  

Here's the ultimate problem with this and Gen4.  Even if you had the latest and greatest Nighthawk router with the most recent Merlin firmware and you could monitor every bit of data each device is using, individually and collectively, and you could break it down to whatever time span you want to, in the end, even if you show that during the first half of the data cycle your router showed 10GB of data usage and HughesNet  6GB, and during the second half of the data cycle the router showed 10GB of data usage and HughesNet 9GB, HughesNet's total data tally will still be less than your router's total data tally.  That's the problem with a service that has data compression, while at the same time that compression helps you save data.  It'd be the same if you only used a single device, like your laptop, and you could show that with Glasswire.  The HughesNet data tally would still be, in the end, under what your actual usage tally showed.  Again, though, I have to stress that the data compression is only my logical assumption as to why HughesNet's tally was always lower than my own with Gen4.  I used to rarely use my laptop or notebook, so for many of the months the only thing that was connected was my LAN cable connected desktop.  Because of that, it was pretty easy to compare the data tallies.  Some months the data tallies would be closer, but HughesNet's was always lower, and sometimes by as much as 40% or more. 

Again, I really do commend you on your diligence, and I know it's very frustrating for you.  I just don't want you to get your hopes up with regard to anything changing.  If you showed that you're actually being "charged" for more data than you're using, that's a different story, but even if you had the tools to measure everything, I still don't believe that would be the case.  

By the way, LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!   I think it might be something that would work well for monitoring the data usage on your Galaxy tablets and your cell phone (if they have the Android OS).  You should take a look at it.  Glasswire for Android?  Heck yeah!   Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glasswire.android&hl=en

The only thing I can find regarding monitoring data usage on the Kindle Fire keeps mentioning the "mobile network", so I don't know if there is a way to monitor total data usage, or even data usage via its WiFi connection.  If you know how, it'd be a good idea to monitor it.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

@GabeUwrote:

@Sweetpea3829

I commend you on your diligence, even with the knowledge that you're not really going to be able to show why your data tabulation is higher during the second half of your cycle, and being able to show why is the whole ball of wax.  

Here's the ultimate problem with this and Gen4.  Even if you had the latest and greatest Nighthawk router with the most recent Merlin firmware and you could monitor every bit of data each device is using, individually and collectively, and you could break it down to whatever time span you want to, in the end, even if you show that during the first half of the data cycle your router showed 10GB of data usage and HughesNet  6GB, and during the second half of the data cycle the router showed 10GB of data usage and HughesNet 9GB, HughesNet's total data tally will still be less than your router's total data tally.  That's the problem with a service that has data compression, while at the same time that compression helps you save data.  It'd be the same if you only used a single device, like your laptop, and you could show that with Glasswire.  The HughesNet data tally would still be, in the end, under what your actual usage tally showed.  Again, though, I have to stress that the data compression is only my logical assumption as to why HughesNet's tally was always lower than my own with Gen4.  I used to rarely use my laptop or notebook, so for many of the months the only thing that was connected was my LAN cable connected desktop.  Because of that, it was pretty easy to compare the data tallies.  Some months the data tallies would be closer, but HughesNet's was always lower, and sometimes by as much as 40% or more. 

Again, I really do commend you on your diligence, and I know it's very frustrating for you.  I just don't want you to get your hopes up with regard to anything changing.  If you showed that you're actually being "charged" for more data than you're using, that's a different story, but even if you had the tools to measure everything, I still don't believe that would be the case.  

By the way, LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!   I think it might be something that would work well for monitoring the data usage on your Galaxy tablets and your cell phone (if they have the Android OS).  You should take a look at it.  Glasswire for Android?  Heck yeah!   Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glasswire.android&hl=en

The only thing I can find regarding monitoring data usage on the Kindle Fire keeps mentioning the "mobile network", so I don't know if there is a way to monitor total data usage, or even data usage via its WiFi connection.  If you know how, it'd be a good idea to monitor it.  

@GabeU, I hear ya.  But my point right now is to prove that the rate of date depletion is not consistent.  And it should be.  As consumers, I think it's a reasonable expectation that we should be able to have an awareness and understanding of HOW our data is used.  Especially (ESPECIALLY) given that HN is being awarded that grant by NY to provide "broadband" to us rural internet users and that they're supposed to fall within certain parameters of data caps, etc.  

How is it fair to us users if we cannot even determine accurately how our data is being accounted for?  At what point in my data cycle do I need to start being careful because the compression is no longer working?  Or whatever the explanation ends up being as to why data depletes slower at the beginning than at the middle and end?  

If HN cannot even guarantee consistent data depletion, than how in the world are they going to accomplish the requirements of Cuomo's Broadband initiative?  

I will have to look into those monitoring tools you mentioned.  Not right now though, lol.  It's already almost 4AM and I've only done two devices!  

Ok, next up...Samsung Galaxy Tab A (the "white tablet").

Starting time: 3:48

Starting data: 4867

image.png

Ending time: 4:18AM

Ending Data: 4912MB for a total use of 45MB

GW showed practically no data use during that timeframe.  

image.pngimage.png

Distinguished Professor IV

@Sweetpea3829wrote: 

If HN cannot even guarantee consistent data depletion, than how in the world are they going to accomplish the requirements of Cuomo's Broadband initiative?  

Cuomo can't even accomplish the requirements of Cuomo's Broadband Initiative.  LOL.  Smiley Tongue  

But, all joking aside, there is one way...upgrading to Gen5, but then you're going to use more data than you presently are.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

We all know it's a political stunt, lol. It benefits very few of the actual rural residents who need it.

Instead, residents who already had Internet are getting better Internet while the rest of us are in the dust.

I have a few emails out and am hoping media might pick it up (coincidentally, my son's swim coach from last year is 13Whams' Mary Snyder's wife).

I'm not holding my breath though.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure you're right about the Gen5. They're going to tell me I should upgrade to solve this problem. Of course, that's not really going to solve anything.

Dollars to donuts though...Dollars to donuts the NY HN plans will only be available for Gen5.

Next up...Samsung Galaxy Tab A (the "black tablet").

Start time: 4:24AM

Start data:4938 MB

image.png

End time: 4:54AM

End data: 4980, for a total of 42MB used.

GW showed no data use during that half hour.  

image.pngimage.png

Black tablet is going to have to be last for now. My hubs is due for work at 7 and he starts stirring around 5, lol. I'll see if I can get a kindle in there after he leaves for work.

That said, I'm exhausted and need a nap, lol.

Weirdest thing...

HN, I don't get you.

I've spent the better part of today using the laptop off and on, as I'm trying to get the kids' science semester finalized and ready (for Monday...ACK!).  I've been waiting for HN to go into FAP all day...because I started with just a bit over 1GB left.  If even that.  

I've been downloading small resources here and there, Googling, Pinteresting, little bit of FB here and there (shhhh...), and I still haven't used the entire last GB.  I even spent a good chunk of time dealing with Toys R Us website because one of my boys is turning 10 in April and the order I placed with TRU over a week ago still has yet to even ship.  

Obviously, I also haven't had time to sit and test any of the Kindle Fire tablets because I'm just swamped.  

But it's so weird because the data depletion today is more like what I'm experiencing at the beginning of a data cycle.  Not the end.  I don't know what to make of it. 

So, current stats...

image.pngimage.pngimage.png  

Oh...for the record...once April hits, I won't have a whole heck of a lot of time to really deal with this much.  Baseball season is our busiest.  They finish up in June (unless somebody makes All-Stars, in which case, kiss summer goodbye).  

Have had some personal stuff going on this month, even aside from baseball season, and have really not had time to pay much attention but...for the sake of documenting stats...

The "slide" began earlier this month than usual.  It did last month, too.  For both months, the slide appears to have begun around the end of the first week of the cycle.  

The gradient drop was less sharp this month than past months.  Still, there is an evident part of the slope where the gradient does take a turn.  GW does not show a significant uptick in usage from one part of the month to another.  The data discrepancy between GW and HN is about 1GB with HN showing higher use.  And actually, the discrepancy is much higher when we include the HN data that was used during bonus hours.  There, the discrepancy is about 4GB.  I can assure you, there has not been 4GB of data used by nonlaptop devices.  

Regardless, these are the current images.  I will try and grab some images at the end of the cycle, if I can remember.  Baseball season will be in full go by that point (well...if we can ever get some SPRING WEATHER).  

image.pngApril's MTD graphimage.pngMarch's final graphimage.pngHN Usage MTD for Aprilimage.pngGW April MTD Allimage.pngGW April MTD Chrome Usage

Still not able to attend to this much, due to full blown baseball season as well as some family stuff (nothing bad, just extremely busy) but for the sake of maintaining documentation and stats, here are the current data stats.  

I have to note that the initial very steep drop is, in part, due to a video I was uploading from my phone to FB, while using the wifi connection.  Not something I normally do, but it was a video of my son's first flying lesson and mobile data wasn't having it.  Come to find out, Wifi wasn't having it either and it chewed up a good bit of data.  He took his flight on May 9th, and I attempted to upload the video on the 9th and 10th. Though on the 10th, it was using Bonus data.  

Regardless, even if we take that approx 1 GB into consideration, HN...these repeated data graphs, showing these significant drop offs from the first or second week to the rest of the month, are ridiculous.  There is CLEARLY a problem here.  Month after month after month.  I'm down to 2.3 GB of Anytime data with almost half of May left to go.  

Combined data usage, so far, according to HN, is nearly 11.5 GB.  GW shows 6.3 for the month of May.  Factor in the GB from my phone's video.  And maybe another 1-2 GB for tablet use for the kids' Prodigy game and uploading a couple of e-books.  

When baseball season ends, and following a visit from family in early July, I hope to sit down and fully address this again.  In the meantime, I will keep stats updated.  

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png