cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

bonniemartin
New Poster

Re: Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

Thank you so much for your descriptive details as this is exactly what we do in my household.  I am having the same issues with data usage depleting RAPIDLY during the first 10-15 days of my new billing cycle and by mid-cycle, I am down to a snails crawl doing anything.  I looked at my USAGE for this month AND last month and by mid-month I had used my data limit.  I never had this problem UNTIL I was advised BY HUGHESNET that I needed to upgrade from Gen4 to the new GEN5 when I placed a service call due to my internet being down. (let me explain this as well as I think it is a SCAM or they have installed SMART MODEMS in the GEN5 update with SMART ROUTERS.  Those of you understand the invasion of privacy with these "SMART DEVICES".  I knew my modem was working fine by knowing what the lights indicate that are on.  I tried to explain to Customer Support at Hughesnet that it was not my modem or I wouldn't have the light BRIGHTLY LIT indicating it was working.  When the tech came for the service call, he found that there was water in the SATELLITE plus the original installer of my HUGHES NET SYSTEM years ago had used a WOOD SCREW to attach a part which allowed water to enter the unit outside.  When he corrected the problem my modem reset and was working.  I HAD INTERNET with my Gen4 modem that used my personal ROUTER.  Then he installed the new GEN5 modem with the HUGHESNET ROUTER and this is when my problems started with my DATA USAGE LOSS!!  Now I am locked into a NEW 2 yr contract with HughesNet and if I COULD find another ISP provider here in the DEEP BACKWOODS I couldn't change without paying fines/penalties for breaking the new contract with HughesNet.  So I believe this is a SCAM to make more money because people usually UPGRADE their packages or BUY TOKENS like I have to do to get internet speed that isn't like slow dial-up.  The issue with the BONUS TIME is a SCAM as I have been using this time for receiving updates and watching YouTube Videos that are long but it never reflects on my BONUS TIME USAGE after I've PEAKED OUT on my DATA PACKAGE ALLOWANCE but THEIR SYSTEM uses my TOKEN DATA LIMITS instead.  EXPLAIN THIS!!  I have used MORE DATA USAGE this morning (off of BONUS TIME & on TOKEN DATA USAGE just to try to figure out WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG to use all my package data the first 10-15 days of my billing cycle.  ANYONE HAVE ANY ANSWERS as to what we can do as it seems to be a problem ALL OVER with people besides me since upgrading to GEN5.  Thanks in advance!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@bonniemartin

Because this thread is trying to help a specific person with an issue they are having, and to keep your issue separate, it would be best for you to start a new post regarding your issue.  

You can start a new topic in the Tech Support section here...  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/TechSupport

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Sweetpea3829
Tutor

Current data status.  Three of the four played on Prodigy Math today, so that's a bit of a data drain.  It'll be interesting to see how the history graph looks tomorrow.  If you look close, it appears that the slide may have begun the day before yesterday.  (Not really sure though, as I wasn't on too much)  

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

GabeU

Well, it definitely shows that you're computer itself, as of the last picture, used about 67MB so far, with Chrome being about 47MB of that.  

So far, overall, you're not doing bad.  2.5GB of data in 22 days?  Not bad at all.  I've used 9.1GB in 17 days, and it's only me!  LOL.  

I'm not sure what those five cloudfront entries are related to.  Perhaps more Facebook stuff.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Sweetpea3829
Tutor

Gabe, I really haven't been on much this month.  And the kids have been off from school (because Momma needed an extra week to gather her head, lol), so they haven't been using their online math game, etc.  

Plus, it's usually the last 1-2 weeks of the month where the data just tanks.  

Current status...

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

GabeU

@Sweetpea3829

A few things...

If you know how, and if you haven't already deleted them from your computer, could you please take a look at the sizes of a couple of the screenshots that you have uploaded, or a couple that you are going to upload?  If you don't know how, please right click on a given screenshot that is saved on your computer, then left click on properties.  You should be able to see the size, in KBs, of the particular screenshot.  The reason I'm asking for this is because there is a good little chunk of data being uploaded to this site (most likely the screenshots, no doubt), and I want to compare your screenshot sizes to mine.  

The second thing is that it would be helpful to know what extensions you have installed in Chrome, as there is a good bit of data being uploaded through Chrome, overall, and I want to see if some of it may be related to extensions.  If you don't know how to look this info up, click on the three dots on the upper right while within Chrome, hover over More Tools, and then click Extensions on the little box that slides out.   

Lastly, are you editing the screenshots before you upload them, or are you uploading them directly from where they are saved on your computer without having altered them in any way?  This question is only concerning the data sizes of your screenshots, not what the screenshots actually show.   

As of right now, and like you mentioned, it doesn't look like a whole lot of data is being used.  A little bit more on one day from what the usage graph is showing, but it was only a little slide, which could be due to things that you mentioned.  Whatever the case, if a general slide is seen, we'll figure it out.  Smiley Happy 

----------------

Please ignore the following screenshot.  I'm posting it because I want to check the size of it when I download it from this site as compared to the size of it on my computer when I uploaded it.  If the two sizes are the same, then I know that if I download one of your screenshots and look at the size, it is the same size as when you uploaded it, which will help with figuring out your data being uploaded to this site.  

Screenshot (91).png

Sweetpea3829
Tutor

Interesting question, Gabe.  So I haven't actually saved any of those screenshots, lol.  I've been capturing the images right from the browser with ctl+print scrn and then pasting them into the photos tool here!  Nifty trick I learned when sending tractor images to the Mennonite neighbor's email/fax.  

I have no idea how large they are.  If you can tell me how to save one, I'll be happy to check out it's size.  

Current stats...So, I wasn't really on yesterday at all.  But I did have one kiddo playing Prodigy for about 20 minutes.  We're having a Super Bowl party (because GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!) and I'll likely be on tonight doing some Pinterest for that, lol.  

Side note...in looking up the extensions, I see that I have something called "Disable Youtube Videos".  Now, I haven't been able to play youtube videos through Chrome for months.  Several months ago, annoyed that certain webpages would have embedded videos that would just play (contributing to data drain) whether I wanted them to or not, I looked for a way to nix autoplay on embedded videos.  Right after that is when I started having problems with ALL youtube videos.  And embedded videos on certain websites would still autoplay.  So annoying.  Anyways, I couldn't remember what I had done within Chrome.  Is that extension the problem?  Should I turn that off?  

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Sweetpea3829
Tutor

Hmm...I didn't have anybody playing on Prodigy today, and I haven't been on since this AM, but have lost a bit of data.  Things should get interesting for awhile, as I'm sitting down to do some Pinterest, lol.  Time is 7:10, and this is what I'm starting with.  

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngdata.  

Sweetpea3829
Tutor

Using the sliders to differentiate between 8AM and 6PMish, which should show no data usage.  image.png

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

Lots of hits to 1e100.net, which is basically Google.

239.255.255.250 is a multicast address, likely a result of a UPnP device using your laptop as an internet source, based on the amount: 824.6KB.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.