cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

Re: Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

200mb is a burp for me, grin.  A few web pages and emails uses that fast.

I started the day with 18.5gb and down to 17.4GB right now.

Watched maybe 1 short Youtube video.... everything else has been Facebook, work web sites, emails, the norm for me.  By tonight at midnight and with the wife getting home soon, that 17.4GB will probably be 16.7GB.  ;-) 

TJ

image.png

Associate Professor

Honorary Alumnus

@Sweetpea3829

A 10 GB plan only allows for 333 MB Anytime usage per day if you are to avoid data depletion.

You very likely are overlooking or are unaware of one or more background processes.

The only way to be sure of what is using your data is to purchase and install a router that allows you to track data per device.

I use an Asus RT-AC3100 and can see every bit and byte used by every device, when it used and what programs and processes used the data.

I suggest you read the following topic:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

Frankly, you have more going on under the hood than you are aware of.

Cor, yes. I unplugged the LAN line, and switched off the data. It's still off (I'm using mobile data).

Gwalk, that may all be true. Few things though...

1) I have a pretty good handle on what uses data in our home. Believe me, if it uses data, I'm aware of it, and WiFi is never on by default. And, in fact, WiFi access for anything requires a password.

2) Because we do not have much data, I'm very careful with browsing. I don't download movies, pictures, etc., unless it's overnight. (The one time we downloaded a movie through Directv, it was overnight and it drained nearly 10 GB of data, which was annoying as heck, considering it should have been, what, 1GB? 2GB?). My kids are homeschooled and do not have private access to any data using devices. Period. I watch it like a hawk.

3) None of these possible answers you guys have mentioned explain the huge difference in depletion from the first half to the second half of the cycle.

That makes no sense at all.

I plugged everything in at 12:41 and here's the screen shot.  

The data does not drain when the modem is off, or the line is unplugged.  It drains when the modem is left on and a page is left up (which, I would expect SOME drain, but not much), and it drains when I'm using it.  But at a faster rate than it typically does.  

image.png 

Assistant Professor

DirecTV uses a tremendous amount of data when searching the guide, as well as for updating and data transfer for any on-screen apps, amongst other things (software updates, 'checking in', etc.). Recommend you only leave it connected to your HughesNet system when absolutely necessary and disconnect when internet connections are not needed.

Edit: You also might keep an eye on wifi signal strength of devices that are not close to your wifi router. If the signal is iffy, it may cause multiple resends to overcome wifi packet errors that will also drive your usage up.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Yes, the DirecTV is not plugged in for Wifi access.  I have it unplugged precisely because it's such a data suck.  I plugged it in once, after the 2AM cut off, to download a movie.  I'm constantly getting reminders from DirecTV to plug the internet in so it can update, etc.  

That's also a good point about the Wifi signal strength.  But...none of our Wifi-capable devices are allowed outside of the immediate range of the wireless router.  We're talking a matter of a couple of yards.  They are not allowed upstairs with tablets, they do not have phones, etc.  We're a tech-limited family in that they have very very little screen time.  Their tablets are mostly used for accessing a thesaurus, dictionary, books (which are downloaded either at the YMCA, or overnight), etc.