cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

Assistant Professor

Re: Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

I'm also guessing that the tablets' wifi are turned off when not in use? Those things have a habit of also using a lot of data in the background.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Yep. The tablets have password protected WiFi and it's rarely on. Furthermore, the updates are permission only, so when I DO turn wifi on, they won't update on their own.

Our phones are also turned off for wifi.

Come to think of it, our phones each have 10gb of data. We use our phones for Internet faaaar more than the Hughes.

Never run out of data though.

Today, I burned through 100mb of data on my phone. Been off and on all day.

On the Hughes...I burned through that much data in five minutes of FB and a Google search.
Assistant Professor

yeah, seems like something's not quite right. Have you looked at the phone to see what processes were running in the background when you were on FB and Google? And, since you have most things tidied up, I'll assume you already have autoplay turned off on FB.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Yes, FB autoplay is off. But, annoyingly, I have yet to figure out how to disable autoplay on embedded videos in news articles, etc.

Usually I pause the video at the beginning.

Still though, I'm not seeing more embedded videos during the second half of the cycle than during the first, kwim?
Associate Professor

The only thing I can suggest is to use Glasswire on computers that you can use it on to monitor your usage, and to use each mobile devices data tracking software that's typically built in to monitor usage.

BTW, when using Cellular Data, most websites will see that you are accessing from such a connection, and will actually disable some data intensive features.

Distinguished Professor III

@Sweetpea3829 wrote:

Yes, the DirecTV is not plugged in for Wifi access.  I have it unplugged precisely because it's such a data suck.  I plugged it in once, after the 2AM cut off, to download a movie.  I'm constantly getting reminders from DirecTV to plug the internet in so it can update, etc.  

Yep, and it's annoying as could be, as well as the way it changes searches.  I connected my DirecTV Genie late at night one time just to try On Demand, not knowing that it changed so much.  Once Hughesnet was disconnected from the Genie it started giving me constant reminders to reconnect, and it would try looking online when I did a search, even though I was no longer connected.  The only way to stop this is to perform a factory reset, which will not only put everything back onto the default settings, but erase your DVR, as well.  Still, losing what I had saved on the DVR and having to reset my preferences was well worth getting rid of those reconnection reminders and search issues.  

Until the day I have unllimited interenet I will NEVER reconnect my Genie, not only for the data it can eat, but the changes doing so causes.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

@GabeU wrote:

@Sweetpea3829 wrote:

Yes, the DirecTV is not plugged in for Wifi access.  I have it unplugged precisely because it's such a data suck.  I plugged it in once, after the 2AM cut off, to download a movie.  I'm constantly getting reminders from DirecTV to plug the internet in so it can update, etc.  

Until the day I have unllimited interenet I will NEVER reconnect my Genie, not only for the data it can eat, but the changes doing so causes.  

Yes, totally agree.  And it crawls up my craw that we DON'T have unlimited internet.  There's like a small bubble around our house...about a half mile...and we're the only ones that don't have hard-wired internet.  

Associate Professor

Which would you prefer? Unlimited data with 1Mbps speeds TOPS, or, upto 25Mbps with a data cap?

People cry for the unrealistic when it comes to a limited system.

Distinguished Professor III

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Which would you prefer? Unlimited data with 1Mbps speeds TOPS, or, upto 25Mbps with a data cap?

People cry for the unrealistic when it comes to a limited system.

I don't think anyone is "crying".  Just stating a preference.  When it comes to something like a DirecTV receiver very few would find it amenable to a non-unlimited high speed system.  It's not set up for a capped high speed system nor a non capped 1Mbps system.  Either way it's not worth connecting it. 

BTW, you know as well as I do that most with Gen5 experience BOTH of what you mentioned.   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Why is it unrealistic to expect unlimited access with fast speeds?

Other (non satellite) providers offer it.

Granted, it's been nearly 7 years since we moved from suburbia to the country. But before we left, we had Verizon, with unlimited data, and the speed was plenty fast.

And, they hadn't even rolled out FiOS yet! That was on the way, but we moved before it was available.

So yes, I would prefer both. Give me decent speeds, and get rid of the data cap.

Because the MOMENT, we have DSL or some other wired Internet available to us...see ya! I don't mind losing a bit of speed if it means I also lose a ridiculously slim data cap.