Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sweetpea3829
Tutor

Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

Ok, I posted about this on a similar thread, just a couple of days ago, and that thread has been deleted.  

Every data cycle, we start off doing just fine.  Our data depletes by about 2-3 GB during the first half of the cycle.  Then, during the second half of the cycle, the data just DRAINS.  Nothing changes in our usage from the first half of the cycle to the second half.  

This has been going on for several months.  

To answer some questions I've seen asked of others...

1) Wifi is never left on on any of the devices that we own that use it.  (This would be a number of tablets...all of which have their wifi turned off unless I, specifically, turn it on...only mom knows the password).  

2) Our phones' wifi is turned off (occasionally they are turned on, within range of our Hughesnet modem, but they are never left on, and we do not update under our own Wifi...that's what the YMCA wifi is for).  

3) We are not experiencing data stealing.  Our neighbors are old order Mennonite.  They do not have devices that use wifi.  Plus, we are password protected.  

4) My laptop is not automatically updating.  It only updates when I tell it to, and that's only during the 2AM-8AM time frame.

5) Our satellite TV is NOT connected to the internet.  I can connect it, but have only connected it during the 2AM to 8AM time frame.  

Again, during the first half of the month, I can check FB, email, news stories and watch the occasional short youtube clip and the data depletes at an expected rate.

During the second half...just leaving the modem turned on, and with no actual browsing, is a guaranteed half GB loss each day.  Yesterday evening, I had 2.7 GB left.  This morning I had 2.1  

I have today and tomorrow left in this data cycle and I'm almost guaranteed to run out of data at some point tomorrow, unless I turn off the router and browse only on my phone's data.  

Why is this happening?  And why has this been happening off and on for months?  

319 REPLIES 319

The kids may play Prodigy later today on their tablets, I'll let you know for sure if that's the case.  It would be interesting to see how Prodigy interacts with Glasswire.  Unfortunately, my laptop cannot handle Prodigy's server.  The laptop cooling fan no longer works, and as a result, it tends to shut down when it gets too warm. But, I digress.  

We have swim team and horseback tonight, and I doubt I'll be on the laptop too much.  

Current stats from when I first logged in...

image.pngFrom 1/23 to 1/24, I lost nearly an entire GB, just from a bit of Googling and Pinterest.From 1/23 to 1/24, I lost nearly an entire GB, just from a bit of Googling and Pinterest.image.pngimage.png

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Sweetpea3829 wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

Regarding your usage, are you sure you don't have anything else connected and using data?  Your HughesNet difference between 7:09PM and 10:23PM is higher than your Glasswire difference, and to the tune of about 140MB. 

Positive.  I checked all of the tablets in the morning and WiFi was not turned on for any of them all day/evening.  The kids were dropped off for AWANA club at 6pm and picked up at 8:30.  Hubs and I were at baseball signups from 6:15 to around 7pm (it's pretty much a mini reunion, lol) and came home just after, when I hopped on and started planning for our Super Bowl party.  

Remember how, at the beginning of the month, GW would show MORE data being used than HN showed?  I wonder if the same thing is happening, only now it's in reverse.   

Actually, I don't remember that, but I'll take your word for it.  Unfortunately, with the only non Hughes data measurement tool being Glasswire, it's difficult to say whether the data went to something else or there is an actual data issue.  Don't get me wrong, I don't expect you to run out and buy an expensive router with data monitoring capabilities, and I'm sure no one else does, either.  It's just a little difficult to tell what's going on, but we'll figure it out.  🙂  I could also be looking at it incorrectly.  This is why I requested only those four pictures, as it will make it easier when determining total data usage according to HughesNet and Glasswire (from the HughesNet data pic and the Glasswire pic when set to All and the current day's date).

Besides the tablets, your phones, your laptop and your printer, do you have anything else that is connected to HughesNet?   If the printer is connected via WiFi I wonder if maybe it called home, as they sometimes do, though that's a bit more data than I would expect a printer to use when doing so, so maybe it's something else.  Maybe gremlins, the sneaky little buggers!  😛   

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro

@GabeU wrote:

@Sweetpea3829 wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

Regarding your usage, are you sure you don't have anything else connected and using data?  Your HughesNet difference between 7:09PM and 10:23PM is higher than your Glasswire difference, and to the tune of about 140MB. 

Positive.  I checked all of the tablets in the morning and WiFi was not turned on for any of them all day/evening.  The kids were dropped off for AWANA club at 6pm and picked up at 8:30.  Hubs and I were at baseball signups from 6:15 to around 7pm (it's pretty much a mini reunion, lol) and came home just after, when I hopped on and started planning for our Super Bowl party.  

Remember how, at the beginning of the month, GW would show MORE data being used than HN showed?  I wonder if the same thing is happening, only now it's in reverse.   

Actually, I don't remember that, but I'll take your word for it.  Unfortunately, with the only non Hughes data measurement tool being Glasswire, it's difficult to say whether the data went to something else or there is an actual data issue.  Don't get me wrong, I don't expect you to run out and buy an expensive router with data monitoring capabilities, and I'm sure no one else does, either.  It's just a little difficult to tell what's going on, but we'll figure it out.  🙂  I could also be looking at it incorrectly.  This is why I requested only those four pictures, as it will make it easier when determining total data usage according to HughesNet and Glasswire (from the HughesNet data pic and the Glasswire pic when set to All and the current day's date).

Besides the tablets, your phones, your laptop and your printer, do you have anything else that is connected to HughesNet?   If the printer is connected via WiFi I wonder if maybe it called home, as they sometimes do, though that's a bit more data than I would expect a printer to use when doing so, so maybe it's something else.  Maybe gremlins, the sneaky little buggers!  😛   

You had said something about the compression rates being really good...2:1, or something?  I'd have to go back and reread.  But not right now...I'm up at 2:30 AM for a reason, and it isn't for playing on the internet, lol.  There's work to be done.  

Let me list all of the devices we have...

--My android phone (Samsung Grand Prime something or other).  I occasionally access Hughesnet via Wifi with this device.  But not as often this month as past months, as I explained above to Mark.  My phone cannot update apps because the memory is full.  It's constantly telling me I need to and cannot.  The Wifi is OFF on this device, unless I turn it on temporarily.  

--Hubby's android phone (I don't remember what his is.  He NEVER accesses our Hughesnet via our Wifi...I haven't set him up to do so, and he does not have the tech abilities to do it on his own).  

--TWO Galaxy Tab A tablets.  These do access Hughesnet via Wifi on a more regular basis.  They are not left on Wifi, though, need a password to be accessed and cannot update because the memory is full.  

--FOUR Kindle Fires for the kids.  These can access Hughesnet via Wifi.  The kids can access the tablets on their own with their own password, but they cannot turn on Wifi as that has a separate password.  The tablets are kept in our family room, are never allowed in bedrooms, etc., and pretty much have reading books on them, as well as a dictionary/thesaurus and an app for practicing math facts.  The Wifi on these is rarely turned on.  

--An old Kindle Fire of my own.  This thing is freaking ancient.  It can access Hughesnet via Wifi, but I haven't turned the Wifi on all month because I have several library books on there that I don't want disappearing until I have finished them, lol!  (I have found that the Amazon files are "returned" back to the library, but they are not pulled from the Kindle until I actually turn Wifi on).  

--I also have a Brother printer which uses Wifi, but I haven't needed to print in at least a week.  

--Finally, there's a Dell printer which CAN use Wifi, but really can't anymore because of some kind of software issue.  It actually can't print at all.  I use it, plugged in to the laptop, for scanning.  

--OH!  And DirecTV CAN be connected to Hughesnet, but I'm looking right at the wire and it's not connected.  I have connected it twice...during off-peak hours...to download a movie.  

Current data stats.  The kids do not school on Fridays unless they have catchup and research stuff.  I will likely be on a bit more later today than in the days past.  I still have some Super Bowl party planning, and my weekly dinner menu prep.  Plus some science curriculum planning/research.  The kids will likely play Prodigy today, assuming they can get their acts together and clean their rooms in time.  

image.pngimage.pngOverall for 1/25Overall for 1/25So far 1/26So far 1/26Overall for 1/25Overall for 1/25So far 1/26So far 1/26

As I look at the left-hand column, if I'm reading it right, I notice Avast seems to be doing it's fair share of eating data.

Edit: Oh wait... that's a K not an M.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I did spend some time surfing the web yesterday.  Data drain was fairly significant.  Because I didn't really have any days in the beginning of the month, where I spent considerable time surfing (I don't think so...I'll have to check), it's hard to compare.  

I feel like I should be able to do some general surfing without an entire GB being lost.  No videos, etc.  Also, if I'm reading the stats right, GW says I used 645ish mb, but HN is saying a full GB.  To clarify, the kids WERE NOT on any devices yesterday, because they couldn't get their acts together and spent the entire day moaning and groaning about cleaning their rooms.  

But here are the current stats with GW showing stats for 1/26...image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Ok, looking back at GW, from the morning of Jan. 9th, to the end of the day on Jan. 11th, GW shows about 1.2 GB of data used, altogether.  

Hughesnet, during that same period of time, showed a drop from 9.2 GB to 9.0 GB.  Why is there such a discrepancy?  And why is the discrepancy now happening in the opposite direction, where GW shows less data being used, and HN shows more?  image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Current stats after some time of surfing.  I have some Kindle books to upload to the kids' tablets.  I'll probably do it one morning before 8AM.  

I do have some surfing to do later.  I need to locate and reserve a number of books for the eldest two kids' history research.  

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Current stats, Sunday AM

GabeU

@Sweetpea3829

It looks like that something is using a lot of data through Chrome on both the 26th and the 27th.  Part of it looks to be Facebook related, but the majority of it looks like little things, as it's in the +xxxx more part at the bottom.  And about 2/3 of the data used between the 9th and 11th is, again, Chrome related.  

If you look through the +xxxx more part for each date, keep an eye out for facebook and fb related items, as they're Facebook related.

So, it is clear that you are using a lot of data over the last few days, but what is also clear is that most of it is through your Chrome browser.    

One thing you could try is the following.  Take a look at each date on Glasswire since your cycle started on the 1st.  Look at each day individually for the total usage.  You may want to even write it down.  Then see if the increase you see between the 20th and 26th that you see on the HughesNet usage graph corresponds to what you are seeing in the those Glasswire dates.  Your data usage clearly increased starting on the 20th and was quite a bit through the 26th.  If your Glasswire amounts also reflect this increase, then we know it's your computer.  And if that's the case, we already pretty much know it's something through Chrome.  Why, though, I still don't know.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro

@GabeU wrote:

@Sweetpea3829

It looks like that something is using a lot of data through Chrome on both the 26th and the 27th.  Part of it looks to be Facebook related, but the majority of it looks like little things, as it's in the +xxxx more part at the bottom.  And about 2/3 of the data used between the 9th and 11th is, again, Chrome related.  

If you look through the +xxxx more part for each date, keep an eye out for facebook and fb related items, as they're Facebook related.

So, it is clear that you are using a lot of data over the last few days, but what is also clear is that most of it is through your Chrome browser.    

One thing you could try is the following.  Take a look at each date on Glasswire since your cycle started on the 1st.  Look at each day individually for the total usage.  You may want to even write it down.  Then see if the increase you see between the 20th and 26th that you see on the HughesNet usage graph corresponds to what you are seeing in the those Glasswire dates.  Your data usage clearly increased starting on the 20th and was quite a bit through the 26th.  If your Glasswire amounts also reflect this increase, then we know it's your computer.  And if that's the case, we already pretty much know it's something through Chrome.  Why, though, I still don't know.  

Hi Gabe!  I will see if I can sit down and do those GW dates...maybe later tonight.  Kids are watching a movie.  For now, I'm going to post stats as of 8:35pm.  I haven't been on a whole lot today, due to church.  I checked in for a bit after church, earlier this afternoon.  But data is still down a fair bit more than I would have expected.  I'll see if I can post images of all of GW days, along with HN.  

GabeU

@Sweetpea3829

You don't have to post all of those pics.  I was just thinking that you could take a look yourself and see if the increase in what you see in the graph corresponds with an increase in Glasswire.  If it doesn't, that would be an indicator that another device used a lot of the data, and that's where it gets tough figuring it out.  

What I mean is, you see on the HughesNet graph that up until about the 20th the data usage looks pretty even, but then it dips down some.  If you look on Glasswire you should see a general uptick in total data usage for the 20th.  And where you see the graph dipping again, take a loot at the same date in Glasswire.  I suspect it will correspond, but if you do see a dip on the HughesNet usage graph, but the Glasswire usage for that day looks to be about the same as the days before, this would suggest that something other than the computer used the extra data.  But, again, if/when that's the case, it's harder to figure out as there's nothing on those other devices to show their data usage, nor what is using it on them, or even which one it is.  

Ok, hopefully this chart will post...image.pngimage.png

Ok, good...it posted...lol.  So that's the GW data, Chrome shown separate, what Hughesnet shows was used each day, and where Hughes had me for data remaining at the end of each day.  

I'm not really sure what to make of all of the data except for something that sticks out like a sore thumb.  If you notice the far right column, which shows how much data Hughes says I have at the end of each day, it's depletion is not consistent with how much data Hughes shows I used.  And specifically, it's not consistent from beginning of month to end of month, in how it depletes.  

Look at 1/11, for example.  On that day, GW says I used 426 MB of data altogether, 406 of which was Chrome.  Hughes shows I used a total of 888 MB (between upload and download).  But my available data only depleted by .10 of a GB from 9.2 to 9.1.  

Then, on 1/27, I used a similar amount of data according to HN, 815 MB.  GW says 381 altogether, 344 of which was Chrome.  But the Hughes available data dropped .70 of a GB.  Why the big difference?

Look at another day, post 1/19.  A day where I used much less data according to both sources.  1/23...I used 453 MB according to HN, 36 according to GW, but my available data on HN dropped from 7.4 to 7.1.  

On 1/7, I used a similar amount of data, but the HN available data meter didn't even drop a full tenth.  

Now, my theory has been all along that the data is counting for more in the second part of the cycle (from around the 20th on).  So if I load page X in the beginning, maybe it uses 10MB of data.  That same page, after the 20th, is using 15MB of data.  

That's what it SEEMS on my end.  Not to be all conspiracy theory, kwim?  But that's what it feels like on this end.  All my regular surfing...nothing is really different from one end of the month to the other, in how I use the internet...we've addressed the updates, external devices, etc.  Why does it feel like the data depletion rate is much faster during the second part of the cycle?  

As far as those external devices go...I'm not really sure how I would go about proving that they weren't connected, other than the times I've indicated in comments that they were.  So I'm not entirely sure why GW doesn't line up more closely with HN.  Aside from what you were saying before about compression rates?  I didn't really understand that part, lol.  

GabeU

Wait, you have Gen4, don't you.  Ugh!  That's why there's a discrepancy between the two.  You're getting that fantastic data compression.  That's probably why the totals of your daily amounts are much higher than what you've actually been "charged" for.  I had forgotten that you have Gen4.  That's going to make this even harder to figure out, as your Glasswire tallies are never going to match your HughesNet tallies, even if all you used was your computer.  I had completely forgotten about that and the fact that that data compression is going to make this even harder to figure out.  

Let me make a suggestion....don't upgrade to Gen5.  LOL.  That total usage of just under 7GB would be 19.3GB with Gen5.  

Edit:  I deleted everything I had before the post about Gen4, as it no longer applied.  

Darn it Gabe! Lol, this is so frustrating, trying to sort this out. But, it could be worse. It could be Gen5.

I'm holding put hope that we'll get broadband. Please please please!

I know you said something about Broadband for all in NY, but I can't seem to find if that actually means all of us, and when WE'RE going to get it.
GabeU

@Sweetpea3829

Frustrating, no doubt, but at least take solace in the knowledge that you're saving over 50% of your data with Gen4.  LOL.  

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and am keeping a bit of tempered hope with regard to the broadband plan in NY state.  I've learned long ago to not get my hopes up too much for something like this, though. 😞  

Gabe, do you know where I can find more info on the Broadband initiative?  Googling brought up some stuff, but nothing helpful.  For example, who can I contact to beg, plead, blackmail, whatevs, to get broadband on my little unbroadbanded section of road?  What areas are they definitely planning on coming to?  Stuff like that.  

Current stats...I wasn't on much yesterday at all.  Data is still dropping faster than I expect.  There may be a slight bump in data during the off-peak hours today, as I used off-peak data to upload some books to the kids' kindles. Plus, I watched a "Parenthood in a Nutshell" video about five times because it's so freaking relevant, lol.  

GabeU

@Sweetpea3829

Though there has been a definite uptick in data usage in over the last many days, the 28th and 29th look to be starting to even back out.  

Because of there being the data tally difference between Glasswire and HughesNet due to you having Gen4, even if your laptop was the only device you used, it's not going to be possible to directly compare the data tally between the two.  But, you should still be able to look at your individual daily totals in Glasswire to see if there is an increase in the data usage on the days corresponding to the uptick in data usage on the graph.  Again, you can't match the data directly, but an uptick is an uptick.  With this said, other devices used can skew this, as in if a different device used a good amount of data and that increase showing on the Hughes graph, but not on Glasswire.  This may make it look like something is amiss due to the increase not showing on Glasswire.  I really wish they made more apps and such for other devices to that you could see their data usage, too.  

I've actually decided to break out my old, cheap Netgear router and connect it for next month.  I'm going to run everything through that and turn off the HT2000W's WiFi.  It won't tell me the data usage of each individual device, but I'll be able to compare the total data usage to what HughesNet says.  I did this before for about ten days, and it matched up, but I'm going to do it for the entire month this time.  Nothing is wrong here, but I'm just curious.  This, of course, will be easier for me due to Gen5 not compressing the data like Gen4 is for you. Even if you had an old router with which you could do this that compression would throw the totals off.  Still, though, like I said above, comparing the daily totals in Glasswire and the daily totals on the Hughes graph might give you an idea.  If you see more data being used in Glasswire during those days it says there is increased usage on Hughes' graph, you'll have your answer as to where it's going.  Again, though, the other devices may be a little troublesome, data tally wise.   

I'll send you a PM about the other thing.  

GabeU

@Sweetpea3829

I want to show you a good example of why the data amounts on the Hughes graph can be very unreliable.  Not the graph itself, but the data amounts for the individual days.  

Now, let me preface these pictures by saying that these are from my folks' account, which I have access to in order to help keep an eye on their data and billing and such as they aren't very adept with doing that sort of thing.  I also must say that yes, my stepfather, who is the person who uses the computer, is an EXTREME data miser.  It's not by choice, but only because he does very little online.

Take a look at the total data usage from the first picture, then take a look at the graph on the second picture, paying particular attention to the data usage on the 26th, which is the one I hovered over.  And that's just the one day.  The data cycle is from the 10th through the 9th.  Get ready to scratch your head... A LOT...

Screenshot (98).jpg

Screenshot (97).jpg

@GabeU,

My first impression, when seeing your folks data usage is Woman Surprised  LOL, that's such a teensy bit of data!  Are they Gen5?  

Anyways, the available data better coincides with the circle graph setting which shows 270 MB,vs the 1.8 GB.  Weird.  

So the bottom line here is that we're really not getting consistent, and accurate portrayals of what we're actually using for data.  And that's not cool, I don't think.  

Still...I remain concerned that, for whatever reason, it FEELS like data is disappearing at a faster rate during the second part of the cycle, than the first.  And by that, again, I mean Page A (with no videos, etc on it) will use 10MB during weeks 1-2 1/2.  But during the rest of the cycle, it will use 15MB.  

January was a bit of an anomaly month for me in that the kids were on school break for the better part of the month, and I wasn't really on much at the beginning anyways.  But yeah...that dip in my monthly usage graph?  That dip has been present month after month after month for some time.