Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

@Sweetpea3829

The first Glasswire picture you posted is only showing data usage from Jan4th.  The second is showing data from the week of Dec 31st through Jan6th, so all of the data that has been used thus far in that time period is being shown, rather than just data from the 4th, like the first picture.  That's why the data amount spiked. 

To match the dates from when your HughesNet data cycle started, while on the week or month setting in Glasswire, click the dates on top and then click the date that your new HughesNet cycle started and then todays date (or today's date, then the date your new Hughes cycle started).  It should then show the data from that span of dates.  So, if your new HughesNet data cycle started on the 2nd, click the 2nd on Glasswire, then the 4th, and then compare the data usage shown in Glasswire to your data usage shown with HughesNet.  

Keep in mind, though, that Glasswire is ONLY tallying the data that your computer used, not data used by any other devices.   

As for the "External" setting, no, you should only need to set it once.  Maybe there's a glitch were it goes back to its default setting over the course of a few days.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

Also, I should mention that Glasswire on your computer is only one part of helping to determine what's going on with the increased data usage in the second half of the cycle.  If the increased usage is shown to be on your computer then you know that's where it is, and you'll also be able to tell just what on the computer is using so much, but if that doesn't happen, yet you're still seeing an increase in data usage, you know that it's happening on something other than the computer.   

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

That makes sense, regarding the Glasswire usage, lol. That would be a deeeerrrrp on my part.

Updated data usage. We were unable to use Hughesnet for most of the day on Friday...our system was down. I thought it was the snow/wind, but in the evening, I reset the system and it was fine.

I wasn't on much yesterday, either. We were at a swim meet most of the day.

***I guess I can't attach a picture if I'm mobile. I'll attach one later. But I still have 95%
Highlighted

@Sweetpea3829

Nah, not derp.  Everyone has to learn the ins and outs of Glasswire when they start using it, and you not noticing the dates is just learning.  

During the time I was an Heating and A/C tech I had a call from someone who had no heat.  I drove nearly an hour to get to their house at about 2AM and found that the thermostat was turned all the way down.  Now THAT'S a derp moment!  LOL.  

Highlighted

@GabeU wrote:

@Sweetpea3829

Nah, not derp.  Everyone has to learn the ins and outs of Glasswire when they start using it, and you not noticing the dates is just learning.  

During the time I was an Heating and A/C tech I had a call from someone who had no heat.  I drove nearly an hour to get to their house at about 2AM and found that the thermostat was turned all the way down.  Now THAT'S a derp moment!  LOL.  

Oh goodness!  Smiley LOL  

Here are today's data stats (We weren't on much yesterday):

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Highlighted

@Sweetpea3829

Actually, from the looks of it, you're ahead of the game.  According to HughesNet's tally you've used about 646MB up to the time of those pics.  Glasswire is showing 1.1GB.  Either HughesNet's compression technology is doing a great job or you're sneaking another ISP in there for your computer to use once in a while and not telling us.  LOL.  Smiley Tongue   J/K.  But, seriously, what that shows is great.  

BTW, that screenshot with all of the bubbles on the graph screen corresponds with the Alerts header that has the 9+ on it.  The Alerts section monitors and gives a notification of when your computer connects programs and apps for the first time, and also when those same programs and apps change their version.  If you click on Alerts you'll see a lot of "First network activity" entries, and that is the listed programs and/or apps connecting to their servers and such (through HughesNet).  You'll see "Application info changed", and that is the programs and/or apps updating to their new versions.  The Alerts section can be a great tool to keep an eye on things and to see if something is connecting a lot more than it should be.  

You can, and really should, click on that Alerts section, take a look through it (I know that you may not know what a lot of the entries mean), and reset the counter by clicking on "Mark all as read", which is above all of the entries on the right hand side.  You don't have to do this, but it's a good idea as eventually all of those entries should calm down as you use the other programs and apps for the first time, and then you'll mostly see "Application info changed" entries.  Marking them all as read will reset that counter, and later, when you know there shouldn't be many entries each day or however long, you'll be able to tell if something is goofy by the number showing in the counter, like if all of a sudden one day there is a bunch of entries when there wasn't the day before.  The counter will give you a quick indication of that.  Also, programs or apps that you manually update/upgrade will again show as "First Network Activity" when they next connect.  Only programs/apps that auto update will show as "Application info changed".  An example of the latter would be after your browser auto updates, like Chrome, Firefox, etc. often do.  The bubbles on the graph screen give you a quick indication of all of this.  Every timer there is an entry it produces a bubble on the graph screen timeline.  

BTW...though I haven't read through it myself, if you want to learn a little more about Glasswire I found this...  https://www.glasswire.com/userguide/

Edit:  Also, I'm not quite sure what's going on with HughesNet's usage graph, as you clearly didn't use 523MB on the 7th.  Heck, it showed 407MB on the 4th.  Your total usage, according to the circle graph and numbered data, is less than that.  Maybe it means that's how much you used by then.  I don't know.  Something seems odd with that usage graph.  It's clear that your total data usage since your data reset is 530MB of Anytime Data and 116MB of Bonus Data, at least at the time of the latest picture (1/8 at 9:01AM). 

Highlighted

My mistake, Gabe...

Yes, occasionally I turn on my cell phone's Wifi.  Usually, I'll turn it on when Straight Talk's mobile data gimps out on me at home, I need to look something up, and I don't feel like wandering around the house looking for a stronger signal (perils of rural country living).  

Occasionally the kids' tablets will be on for Wifi...when they're playing Prodigy Math, for example.  Or when I need to put a book on one of their Kindles.  So yeah, the Glassware data usage isn't going to line up completely with the Hughesnet.  

(Just to reestablish...the tablets are not updating because they can't because they are full.  The kids' Kindles only have books and a dictionary app, oh and a Card Droid app for times tables, so there's not a heck of a lot of updating there.  And my phone cannot update either, because it is full).  

So Glasswire isn't going to be perfect.  However...when the second half slide starts, I'll ensure that none of the extraneous devices are connected to Wifi, leaving only the laptop and printer connected.  

Highlighted

@Sweetpea3829

With regard to the computer that Glasswire is installed on, do you use it with your cell phone's WiFi sometimes (I know you can tether with some plans and cell phones), or is your computer's only internet connection through HughesNet?  

If it's the former, that can definitely skew your Glasswire tally in comparison to HughesNet's, but if it's the latter, and your computer's only internet connection is HughesNet's, its data comparison to HughesNet is very good.  

Highlighted

I see what you mean with the usage on that Usage chart, though.  Because if one screen shows a total of 560 MB used for the month so far, how can I have used 661, 610, 588, and so on during the first few days of this month?  

TodayTodayJan. 01Jan. 01Jan. 02Jan. 02Jan. 03Jan. 03Jan. 04Jan. 04Jan. 05Jan. 05Jan. 06Jan. 06

Highlighted

The laptop is only connected to the internet through Hughesnet.  I don't know how to tether my cell phone...and last time I went looking, I think my particular model phone was not set up to allow tethering.