cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid gb loss

Highlighted

Rapid gb loss

We just got gen5 we like it because it's a big change from our other plan we had. When we first got it the Hughes net meter would reset every day to 50gb, we called and were told that for 20 days after we got our service that Hughes net would reset it every day to compensate for the data that needed to be used for updates and other things on Hughes net's behalf. When the 20 days was up we went through our 50gb in just a few days. There were some days that used up to 10gb. We did use Netflix but I wouldn't think that should have been a problem. Our phones (2) of them are connected to the WiFi over night but other than that I wouldn't expect to use any. How in the world have we used this much? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
Assistant Professor

Re: Rapid gb loss

Actually, Netflix can use that much. Need to look at the amount it uses, especially HD,  here and adjust accordingly:  https://www.netflix.com/HdToggle

I recommend low definition but many choose medium then still complain about using too much data. Kinda depends how much Netflix you watch.

How many in your family? Kids love to do YouTube, Netflix, and other video streaming.  Really pretty easy to eat through 50 GB in short order depending who is doing what and how many are doing it.

You stated 10 GB in one day, that is huge.

Assistant Professor

PS: When it comes to Netflix should also read through this very carefully including the notes: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

Also be aware many phones can eat alot of data when connected to the Internet through your HughesNet WiFi. Even when you think they are asleep.

Be happy Netflix allows some across the board control. Is harder with sites like Amazon Prime and YouTube.

Distinguished Professor IV

@Beau

In addition, if you have a satellite TV receiver connected to HughesNet it's best to disconnect it, especially if it's a DirecTV receiver.  They can use a LOT of data, and there's no way to control it.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Tutor

Do you have a Chromeast device?  I learned the hard way that Google's Chromecast devices use 10-17mb/HOUR.  That's if you're not using it and even with the tv off.   I bought two before I discovered what was eating away my data.

Assistant Professor

@monicakm wrote:

Do you have a Chromeast device?  I learned the hard way that Google's Chromecast devices use 10-17mb/HOUR.  That's if you're not using it and even with the tv off.   I bought two before I discovered what was eating away my data.

Wow! If a fact that it can use that much in idle mode that equals about 1.7 - 2.9 GB per week. Holy smokes batman! Would definitely unplug or disable it when not in use.

UPDATE: Did a bit of research and seems it can use a lot simply in idle mode, as in not actively being used. Interesting thread on the other satellite ISP site: https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/heads-up-for-you-chromecast-users

Tutor

Yep, that's right.  Google it.  You'll find several references concerning Chromecast and how much data it uses.  I've been told that it's the background images but I really don't think it could possibly be using that much data on just background images!  I'd love to be able to use the devices especially with all the smart home additions I've made but with 20GB/month, it's not happening Smiley Sad

Distinguished Professor IV

@monicakm wrote:

Darn, and I was going to buy one today!  J/K  Smiley Tongue

Seriously, though, that's awful.  Just sitting idle?  SMH.  It's very discouraging that more and more companies are ignoring the fact that not everyone has unlimited data.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

@monicakm wrote:

Darn, and I was going to buy one today!  J/K  Smiley Tongue

Seriously, though, that's awful.  Just sitting idle?  SMH.  It's very discouraging that more and more companies are ignoring the fact that not everyone has unlimited data.  

Even many ISP's that say "unlimited" actually have a point where they start throttling back out of the ordinary heavy users.

Forget our limited satellite connection, most people look at the wider continent/global Internet as having unlimited throughput at max speed at any point in time no matter the demand. Just not true or realistic. Talk about fake news/facts.

New Poster

Any idea how to disconnect the directv receiver from the hughesnet modem?  There is no way to "disconnect" with the remote, only "connect".  I didn't set the receiver to go through the hughesnet modem.  Must have been the technician or it was automatic.

Thanks for any advice in layman's terms.  

Tags (1)