Rapidly depleting Data Allowance

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lastdjay
Freshman

Rapidly depleting Data Allowance

Under the old Gen 4, our Data Allowance was 20GB (plus the 20GB Bonus in the wee hours of the morning).  Occasionally, we had to purchase tokens, but those instances were few and far between.  We are not gamers or streamers...do not download massive files...only use the Internet for browsing and email.

In April 2019, we upgraded to Gen 5, and went with the 30GB per month plan, so that we could explore streaming...which we haven't felt free to do....because every month, with our regular ol' usage, our Data Allowance is gone with half the month to go before being replenished.

I have downloaded the usage meter and monitor it regularly.  I keep connected devices pared down to 2--my laptop and my husband's desktop.  We have disabled any "smart" devices, such as our Samsung TV.  We do not keep our DirecTV receiver connected to the modem, so we can't enjoy PPV movies.  I have disabled unnecessary apps on both computers.  My Epson printer communicates with "the mother ship", so I've started keeping that turned off when not needed.

We have gone from using 20GB for years and years under Gen 4 to using approximately 45GB per month, after using 30GB and purchasing more tokens, with no change in usage.

Our Data Allowance replenished 2 days ago, and we've already used 28% of our Data Allowance. 

Whenever I have contacted Hughesnet about other issues over the past year, I always mention this problem.  They're always very sorry, but offer no solutions.

I read in another thread here, from 2016 or so,  that the  IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe file on computers causes phantom dala loss, and once it is uninstalled, phantom data loss decreases significantly.

Has anyone tried this?  Does it really work?  Does uninstalling it it have a negative impact on one's computer?

20 REPLIES 20
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Have you thought about installing Glasswire to see what's using the data?  I would do that before tinkering with files. 

Thanks...I'll try that!

I forgot to mention in my original post that I have tried staying offline altogether for the 2 days we've used up 28%.  I'm using my iPad instead, using the Verizon cellular network instead of our Hughesnet wifi.  Yet the data consumption continues!

Thanks again for the suggestion.  I'll let you know if that makes a difference.

GabeU

@lastdjay 

Just in case, you can see what is and was connected to the HughesNet modem since the last time it was plugged in on this modem page. You have to be connected to the modem, whether via LAN cable or WiFi, to access the page.

Hope this helps.  🙂

Thanks, GabeU! 

Actually, I already obsessively check Connected Devices...and Hourly Consumption...and Current Hour consumption...maybe I'm using up my Data Allowance compulsively checking on my Data Allowance...lol

Today's status....64% of 30GB's remaining...with 27 days to go 'til reset.

I think they're just trying to get me to subscribe to the 50GB plan, but I'm still spending less $ with the 30GB plan and purchasing extra tokens.  I think it would drive me straight over the edge if I upgraded to the 50GB plan, only to still run short!  lol

It is what it is.

The interesting thing is that, once we're depleted our Data Allowance within 20 days or so, I don't notice any change in speed/accessibility...like I've been getting the downgraded stuff all along.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.....

And, trying not to sound paranoid...but with the old Gen 4, we had our own routers.  I've always been suspicious of that Hughesnet built-in router situation....lol

Bottom line, it all went south when we upgraded from Gen4 with 20GB per month to Gen5 with 30GB, with no change in our computer habits.  It makes no sense!

maratsade

The internet evolves, and chances are, pages you visit are using more data than they used to. 

You can install your own router, and you may want to get one that monitors usage for your whole network.  If you use Glasswire (which is free and very good) you need to install it on every computer you want to monitor (I don't think they have apps for smartphones and tablets). 

lastdjay wrote:

And, trying not to sound paranoid...but with the old Gen 4, we had our own routers.  I've always been suspicious of that Hughesnet built-in router situation....lol

Bottom line, it all went south when we upgraded from Gen4 with 20GB per month to Gen5 with 30GB, with no change in our computer habits.  It makes no sense!

Hi maratsade,

I've been exploring the Glasswire site that you recommended.  Haven't taken the plunge yet...

And I HAD wondered if I could use my old router, along with the built-in router in the Gen5 modem...you don't see a problem there?  Would that improve things, or just be redundant?

One more thing I've wondered.  When I go online, I use Internet Explorer/Google Chrome/Edge...while my husband does EVERYTHING through the AOL platform.  I've often told him that's like driving a car without ever taking it out of first gear...lol  He logs onto AOL first thing in the morning and logs off at night.  I've wondered if there's a ton of stuff always running in the background on AOL. 

But again, that's nothing new...that was going on in the good ol' days on Gen4, when 20GB's per month sufficed...lol  His usage hasn't changed since we upgraded to Gen5 with 30GB's not being enough.

I'm a puzzle-solver...and an account-balancer...and maybe that's probably why this is bugging me so much...just can't figure it out!  Or it's a distraction from COVID19...lol

re Glasswire...so, once that reveals how all your data is being gobbled up, does it tell you how to resolve that?  They want so much info upfront before providing a Demo that it has me a bit put-off...

maratsade

I used to have a router connected to the HW2000w modem and it worked fine, but I've since disconnected it, as I personally have no problems with the modem.  But it worked and never gave me trouble. 

It's possible that AOL is eating data via background processes, but without having some way of checking (Glasswire, a router with monitoring capabilities), you're just guessing. 

I understand that your usage habits may not have changed, but the internet itself changes daily around you in ways you don't notice because the processes are in the background. 

Being a puzzle solver is a huge PLUS.  You will figure this out, but you need to have some tools here, as your mind can't measure what needs to be measured. 

Glasswire just tells you what's using your data, because that's all it is, a monitor.  Once you see what uses so much data, you need to decide how to manage or solve the problem.   Remember Glasswire only works for Windows computers (desktops and laptops) and on Android devices, apparently.  It's a very well rated app that may give you the info you need, but if you want to be able to be the Supreme Leader of Your Whole Network, you may want to invest in a router.  @GabeU has mentioned some good brands in the past.  @MarkJFine may have tips too. 

All this and COVID-19, huh?  Crazy world we're living in. 

Crazy indeed!  HA!  Thanks for your input!  Stay WELL!!!

GabeU

@lastdjay wrote: 

I think they're just trying to get me to subscribe to the 50GB plan, but I'm still spending less $ with the 30GB plan and purchasing extra tokens.   

They aren't.  HughesNet has no control over how quickly your data is used.   

You're likely seeing higher data usage with Gen5 for two main reasons.  First, higher available speed means more data usage with many websites and program/apps, and second, Gen4 seems to have had better data compression.  i.e. what you're being "charged" for, data wise, very likely more closely resembles your actual usage with Gen5 than it did with Gen4.  Why this is I don't know, but I suspect it has to do with improving technologies to increase both the speed and capacity of the system as well as further attempting to mitigate the effects of latency on various applications.

With this said, that's only to a certain extent.  28% of your data being used in two days suggests something else.

@lastdjay wrote:

The interesting thing is that, once we're depleted our Data Allowance within 20 days or so, I don't notice any change in speed/accessibility...like I've been getting the downgraded stuff all along. 

You'd likely only notice a real difference with activities that utilize the highest available speed at the time and with them taking longer once your speed is throttled.  For most basic activities the difference would be minimal, if there's any difference at all.  

That's all good to know, GabeU!

I watch a lot of Dateline and Snapped, and it's even crossed my mind that someone nearby could be using our signal!  lol  But the nearest neighbors are hardly close by enough to hear ya scream, much less use yer wifi...lol  (and hence the need for Hughesnet!)  But hey...maybe I should change our wifi password--wouldn't it be crazy if that solved the problem!  lol

I guess it's time to either accept the situation and move on...or look further into Glasswire! 

And if this is the worse problem I've got going on right now, I am Blessed!  lol

GabeU

@lastdjay 

Changing your WiFi password can never hurt.  But I'd still keep looking, as nearly 9GB in two days is still significant without deliberately doing something that would use that much.

maratsade

I think the OP's best bet is to stop trying to guess where data is going and actually measure where it is going by installing Glasswire or a router that tracks this kind of stuff. Conjecture won't lead to a solution.

Sage advice!  I haven't checked into the cost of Glasswire yet, but at the rate we're losing data and having to buy more each month, I'm guessing it would quickly pay for itself! lol

I appreciate both you guys' interest and advice! 

maratsade

Glasswire is free.

I'm THERE dude!   hahahahaha  Thanks for that info!  I wasn't sure WHAT I might be getting into...lol  Now, whether or not I'm tech-savvy enough to understand what it will reveal, or act upon it, is a whole 'nother matter...lol 

Thank you!

Downloaded!  Not sure what I'm watching, but it's running!  Thanks again for your input!

GabeU

@lastdjay 

LIke maratsade said, you only need the free version.  It's available for both Windows PCs and Android devices, with the Android version being available on Google Play.  

After you've installed it and it's running, make sure to set the options to "Incoming & Outgoing" and "External".  This way it will tally both upload and download, and only that which is being used via the internet rather than including data being transferred back and forth in your PC.  

Screenshot (18).jpg

Okay, GabeU...once I've done all of this, I'm gonna be relying on you and maratsade to interpret the results!  lol

I really appreciate y'alls interest and help! 

Glasswire downloaded, settings adjusted per your recommendations.

I'm not sure what I'm looking at, but it's running!