Rapidly depleting Data Allowance

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lastdjay
Freshman

Rapidly depleting Data Allowance

Under the old Gen 4, our Data Allowance was 20GB (plus the 20GB Bonus in the wee hours of the morning).  Occasionally, we had to purchase tokens, but those instances were few and far between.  We are not gamers or streamers...do not download massive files...only use the Internet for browsing and email.

In April 2019, we upgraded to Gen 5, and went with the 30GB per month plan, so that we could explore streaming...which we haven't felt free to do....because every month, with our regular ol' usage, our Data Allowance is gone with half the month to go before being replenished.

I have downloaded the usage meter and monitor it regularly.  I keep connected devices pared down to 2--my laptop and my husband's desktop.  We have disabled any "smart" devices, such as our Samsung TV.  We do not keep our DirecTV receiver connected to the modem, so we can't enjoy PPV movies.  I have disabled unnecessary apps on both computers.  My Epson printer communicates with "the mother ship", so I've started keeping that turned off when not needed.

We have gone from using 20GB for years and years under Gen 4 to using approximately 45GB per month, after using 30GB and purchasing more tokens, with no change in usage.

Our Data Allowance replenished 2 days ago, and we've already used 28% of our Data Allowance. 

Whenever I have contacted Hughesnet about other issues over the past year, I always mention this problem.  They're always very sorry, but offer no solutions.

I read in another thread here, from 2016 or so,  that the  IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe file on computers causes phantom dala loss, and once it is uninstalled, phantom data loss decreases significantly.

Has anyone tried this?  Does it really work?  Does uninstalling it it have a negative impact on one's computer?

20 REPLIES 20