cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SZ1
New Poster

Re: Internet

I know about the data saver and other settings,

The thing I don't undertsand is why it works better with my at&t hot spot with 7mbps and the not the 25mbps from hughesnet on the gen5 plan....Thanks...

9 REPLIES 9
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

It's because of latency, an unavoidable feature of satellite internet. 

@SZ1 wrote:

I know about the data saver and other settings,

The thing I don't undertsand is why it works better with my at&t hot spot with 7mbps and the not the 25mbps from hughesnet on the gen5 plan....Thanks...

MarkJFine
Professor

Download speed has very little impact on streaming responsiveness. Latency has a massive impact depending upon the streaming protocol.

Downloading a chunk of a stream is easy and is equivalent to downloading a single file. Streams are lots of little files being sent and the application has the task to display it seamlessly: The application has to tell the server that you've recieved each chunk without error or resend it, if it's in the correct order or if a chunk is missing, as well as in a synchronized fashion.

So whether or not the server receives those acks and nacks in time to provide the next chunk or not is how it determines whether to buffer or not. Smaller chunks mean more ack/nacks and less efficiency over satellite. Dropping the resolution means the server can likely deal with more information per chunk and therefore less frequent interaction required with the server.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks guys....but my final conclusion is that I will cancel my hughenet after my 30 days which I paid for in advance,

and stick with my at&t hot spot....better results at 7mbps form at&t  than hughesnet 25mbps, 

only had for 10days....sucky service from the get go...

maratsade

Make sure you understand how early termination works and the fees you will be expected to pay.  See the subscriber agreement here:  http://legal.hughes.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

Section1.3

@SZ1 wrote:

Thanks guys....but my final conclusion is that I will cancel my hughenet after my 30 days which I paid for in advance,

and stick with my at&t hot spot....better results at 7mbps form at&t  than hughesnet 25mbps, 

only had for 10days....sucky service from the get go...

Yeah, there's no 30 day grace period that some third party marketers have been using to sell the service.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

Latency has a massive impact depending upon the streaming protocol. 

Congestion, as well, regardless of overall/average speed.  

I find that I can stream and watch Youtube without issue when congestion is low or practically nonexistent, but when it's higher it's much more difficult, regardless of my overall speed. 

@GabeU wrote:

Congestion causes an increase in latency. It's directly proportional.

GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

Congestion causes an increase in latency. It's directly proportional.

I honestly didn't realize that.  I thought that latency was mostly the same, regardless of network stresses due to congestion, but that it's not actually makes sense, as the more traffic there is, the more traffic is going through the switches and such, which can add to latency.  I thought that the increase in issues was due to congestion and latency together, but worse because only because of worse congestion, with the latency remaining the same, while not realizing that the latency itself can increase as the network becomes "busier", adding to the issue.   

Good info.  

You can have latency due to:

1. radio propagation delays.

2. server delays (congestion) at the gateway.

3. other internet propagation delays at any upstream server in the path.

Each hop in the path contributes to latency.