Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slym
Sophomore

Re: Pages Time Out

@Liz

@MarkJFine

I've spent the morning going through the list Liz posted - here's my results:

As Gabe already posted, what are some of the URLs you're trying to visit?
https://awardwallet.com
https://login.live.com
There are more, I just can't remember them.  It seems to be transient - I can now get to login.live.com. 

What exact error message are you getting? (Screenshots would help)
Firefox - connection has timed out
Chrome - this site can't be reached

FirefoxFirefoxChromeChrome

Have there been any changes to your system prior to your concerns?
No changes

Does disabling Web Acceleration make a difference? (Enter 192.168.0.1 in your browser then follow the steps here to find where to toggle Web Acceleration: http://hninfo.us/WAS)
No difference

Does this happen on different computers/devices?
Yes:
desktop on Ethernet direct to the modem
laptop using WiFi
Browsers:  Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Vivaldi, IE - I've tried them all.

Does this happen on a non-HughesNet connection?
No - took personal laptop to work, pages loaded fine.
Brought work laptop home, problem happened with it too at home, not at work.
Connected laptop to mobile hot spot, problem went away.  

Does this happen even after clearing your browser cache? (How-to here: refreshyourcache.com)
Clearing cache makes no difference.

Does power cycling your modem make a difference? (Unplug the HughesNet modem's power cord from the brick for 30 seconds before replugging.)
No difference

Does this happen even when directly connected to the HughesNet modem?
Yes

Does power cycling your router make a difference?
No router used

Does power cycling your computer make a difference?
No difference - I've rebooted serveral times, and also followed MarkjFine's suggestion of bringing the PC back up before plugging the modem back in.

One more thing I notice when trying to load the awardwallet.com site - the browser bar shows the site is not secure, and no certificate loads.  But when on my hotspot, the site is secured with a GoDaddy SSL certificate.

firefox_2018-09-08_10-19-30.png
Missing SSL certMissing SSL cert

That's about it.  Anything else to try?  And thank you for all your help and input!

4 REPLIES 4
slym
Sophomore

Might be on to something here.  While waiting for my post to show up, I did some more searching.  In a mozilla forum, one thing that was mentioned was disabling IPv6 in the firefox config (about:config).  I did that and voila, the current site I've been having issues with, awardwallet.com, loaded.  It continues to load after closing firefox and a reboot.

But that didn't fix Chrome or the other browsers.  So I took it one step further and disabled IPv6 in the adapter settings.  Now all browsers load the site. 

Whether this will help all sites I've had issues with or not in the long run remains to be seen.

Hi slym,

Welcome and thanks for posting. Glad to hear that disabling IPv6 seems to have resolved your concerns. Feel free to drop by the community again if you have other concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

@Liz

Liz, thank you for moving these to a new topic.  My apologies - wasn't trying to hijack the other topic, but it just seemed that we were all facing the same thing. 

Anyway, all is working now.  🙂

No worries! I'm just glad all is well again for you. Please don't hesitate to drop by the community if you have other concerns!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!