cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Secure Connection Issues

Highlighted
Freshman

I have also been experiencing the same secure website login issues and can not get any help from Hughesnet support.

I believe it is because my modem has gone bad. Here are the reasons.

Everything was fine until last weekend. (And for the last 3 years)

Starting last weekend any site that needed secure log in would not work. (i.e. Yahoo mail, online banking etc.)

Very slow speeds, (PS4 wanted to update software and it would take 20 hrs instead of 2 hours) I think the slow speeds or spotty connection are what is causing the security issues.

I can log into those same sites when using my Verizon connection on my phone when I am away from home.

So here is my biggest problem. My phone doesn't get good enough service when I'm at home to call tech support. (she finally told me she couldn't help me because my connection was too bad) And since the modem is bad I can't do chat support. And I can't even do email support because it won't go through. (because the modem is bad) And I couldn't even start my own topic on this board because the bad modem wouldn't connect correctly.

I was finally able to access some of the sites by disconnecting my network router and connecting my pc directly to the modem but there are still some secure sites (online banking sites) that will not work. Including my Hughesnet email account. And I need my network router for my other devices to work.

I can't believe that it would be cheaper for Hughesnet to "send a tech" to my house than it would be to send me a new modem. Also that would mean that I would have to take hours off work and loose all that money for them to tell me the same thing I already know.

Can someone at Hughesnet PLEASE HELP!!!

Model HT1100

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

The HN staff on this site will be back on Monday and they may run remote diagnostics on your modem to see what's going on.  In the past, they have sent people free replacement modems, if they determine that the modem is the issue. 

Highlighted
Freshman

Thanks for the info. I didn't hear from HN Staff. And I'm not sure how to get in touch with them.

I still can not get access to the email support or the chat support. I just now tried and got this: "An error occurred during a connection to services.hughesnet.com. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR"

So the chat window never opened. And as I said before my cell phone doesn't have good enough service at my home to call the phone support.

So I am stuck. I ran two speed tests and got the following download speeds. First one was 1.54 and the second was 3.18. So I think I'm running on fumes here and can't get any help.

And if I called them from town I wouldn't be able to access my pc while I was on the phone with them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is there any information that I could give that would help the HN Tech Support people to help me? (is it safe to give out my SAN number on a forum board?)

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@natural2195 wrote:

(is it safe to give out my SAN number on a forum board?)

No.  Don't post your SAN or any other type of personal information on this board, as it's public.  You can in a PM with a rep if they request such, however, and they may do so in order to locate your account.  They'll reply here first, though.

I'd tag a couple of the reps so that they'll be sure to see this thread tomorrow.  

@Damian @Liz 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@natural2195 

I missed that you were not the same person as the original poster.  It would be better for you to start your own topic in order to keep your issue separate from the OP's.  Even though they may seem related, they may not be.  

You can start the new topic here.

Damian replied, so please disregard. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

@natural2195

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. After running diagnostics on your equipment, it appears the equipment itself is fully operational and the modem does not show any errors in the history profile. I do, however, see that you have exceeded the monthly data allotment which will result in the speeds you posted. On top of this, both your location and Gateway location are also showing heavy cloud coverage with periods of rain. This could definitely be the cause for a reset error of that nature. Secure sites do take longer to load due to how they handle access. An interruption of the signal will definitely affect a process like this. Also, this aligns with your timeline, as you stated this started about a week ago and has not been experienced for the past 3 years of service. It is rare that both locations your signal must pass through are experiencing the same type of poor weather simultaneously, especially during a throttled period. I would like to run tests again once your data has refreshed and the weather has cleared up. That way, these factors will not be able to hide any underlying issues if present. I understand this may take some time but it is the only way to have clear results to begin deeper troubleshooting.   

-Damian    

Highlighted
Freshman

Actually I have 14 GB left for this month and 4.2 GB token bites remaining. My monthly period started fresh 4 days ago. Also the problem started before I ran out of data last month. The problems started on the Feb 21 and have not changed since. (so weather is not a factor) And the weather has never been a problem for the last 3 years. Also this would not explain why the problem is worse when I run through my network router. And better (but not fixed) when I run just through the modem. (I still can not login to my bank... or Hughesnet somtimes) I have been trying to login to my bank for two weeks now.

I tried running the troubleshooter but it would not function because something is wrong with either the modem or possibly sometihing else.

Highlighted

Since you have a HT1100 modem. That means you have a seperate WIFI router..  Check it. If it is a Netgear router more then likely it needs a firmware update.. Login into it and check it out..

Highlighted
Freshman

I'm not sure what you did but everything is fixed. I may have been "throttled" unnecessarily but all seems to be better now. (I don't know because I've never been "throttled" before) Smiley Tongue

Speed is fast again and I can login to my bank.

Thank you Damian or Hughes Net or whomever.

Also thanks to all those on the boards that tried to help.

Highlighted

@natural2195,

I am glad to hear the service is back up and working. We are still unsure as to the exact cause of this issue. We did perform our basic remote maintenance on your modem so it is possible that was all that was needed. If you ever experience something like this again please reach out anytime.

-Damian