Hughesnet Community

Re: What games do you find playable on Hughesnet?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Madams83
Sophomore

Re: What games do you find playable on Hughesnet?

May i suggest that Hughesnet acrually tell that to aspiring customers? I calles in June specifically asked speeds and told that it would work well for gaming. That the lowest my speeds would get close to data cap is 3-5 mbps. I have nit gotten even 3 mbps since hookup. Actually not even 1. Im running on .20 download speeds and 1 upload speed
10 REPLIES 10
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

They're supposed to tell potential users this.  If you called in June your call may still be available for review. You can ask that your call be reviewed to see if  the agent was unclear or did not disclose all the information they  need to disclose. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

May i suggest that Hughesnet acrually tell that to aspiring customers? I calles in June specifically asked speeds and told that it would work well for gaming. That the lowest my speeds would get close to data cap is 3-5 mbps. I have nit gotten even 3 mbps since hookup. Actually not even 1. Im running on .20 download speeds and 1 upload speed

GabeU

@Madams83

Games not being playable and having slow speeds may actually two different issues, with the latter being such that you should ask for help in the "Tech Support" section.  

With that said, as mentioned by maratsade, you should be able to request a review of your sales call, but the questions you mentioned must have been asked during that sales call and not a separate one prior to signing up, as only the actual sales calls are available for review.  The sales reps are supposed to ask if you game, and if you indicate that you do, or plan to, they're supposed to tell you of the issues with gaming that is inherent to satellite internet.  

You can request a review of your sales call in the "MyAccount and Billing" section.  Just explain why you believe that you were misled.  You can even just copy and paste what you wrote in this thread.  

Hal
Alum

Hello Madams83, for a detailed explanation of how gaming works on HughesNet Gen5 please follow this link Http://hninfo.us/gamefaq

So we can begin addressing your speed concerns, please create a Testmy.net account and run 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Post your test results link here in your thread. Please keep in mind that HughesNet will only accept Testmy.net and the official HughesNet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys. Most important points to remember during this test: -do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used) -use the 12MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen4 Service Plan -use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan -If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file -space each test at least 5 minutes apart -post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://hninfo.us/speedtest

So do i need to plug the lan line into my laptop to run this test? I have been contacting Hughesnet support numerous times since having this service hooked up. During the first week in July a customer support representative ran the speed test in his end, it was as usual 1 mbps. He expedited my claim to an engineer who called and said the problem should be resolved by the end of July. Well it's not. I callled back two nights ago with same problem and he said he send a command to the modem. It lastes about 10 mins and back to the same problem.
maratsade

"So do i need to plug the lan line into my laptop to run this test?"

Yes.  

Thank you
GabeU

@Madams83 wrote:
So do i need to plug the lan line into my laptop to run this test? 

Yes, but there's an additional part of the speed testing protocol that was left out of the instructions provided by Hal. 

While running the speed tests with your LAN cable connected device, the WiFi in the HT2000W should be disabled to ensure that nothing is sapping any bandwidth via WiFi.  Please see the section titled "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF, and specifically 5.c. of that section, for instructions on how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W.  Disabling the WiFi should be done while you are connected with your LAN cable connected device, as disabling the WiFi with a WiFi connected device will result in the WiFi connected device losing its connection.  Also, please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking SSID Enable for each radio individually (so 2.4, then Save Settings, then 2.4 Guest, then Save Settings, then 5, then Save Settings, then 5 Guest, then Save Settings). 

After you've run the speed tests you can re-enable the WiFi in the HT2000W by individually checking the boxes you unchecked and clicking Save Settings.  

maratsade

"Yes, but there's an additional part of the speed testing protocol that was left out of the instructions provided by Hal. "

We need a document with more complete instructions.  Also, the knowledge base page linked by Hal says that "Hughes recommends the use of their own speed test which allows you to record your results." I thought the Hughes speed test was not very good and that the engineers preferred TMN?  Edit:  I just tried it (http://consumer.performancetests.hughesnet.com/) and it actually doesn't even start.  🙂

GabeU

@maratsade

The instructions in the page that Hal linked to are vastly outdated, not only in the test sizes given for the TMN tests if one has Gen5, but also the link to HughesNet's own test, which is to the old test and which should be the following...

http://my.hughesnet.com/support?_mpsource=Header&_udreq=1&tab=SpeedTest

Conversely, it could instruct someone to sign into the HughesNet MyAccount site and click Speed Test under the Support tab.  

But, with all of that said, I tend to not even mention HughesNet's speed test due to its aforementioned preponderance for being buggy.  I'd rather have someone use a test that is not only accepted, but also very reliable, instead of a test that should work properly, but doesn't always do so.

Also, when I need to give speed testing instructions, I copy and paste from a previous instructions post of mine, which is here.  I keep the post in my browser favorites.  I eliminated the "if you have Gen4" instructions, as the download size given for Gen4 is often too small, IMHO, causing TMN to resize, and the 25MB and 4MB sizes will work just fine for both Gen4 and Gen5.  My linked instructions also include how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, or at least a link to the PDF with the instructions.  

maratsade

Your instructions are much better, @GabeU.  I  am sorry to say the new test doesn't work for me either.  It works halfway and then it just spins.  The graphics are fun to look at, though.