Re: Working from Home Successfully with HughesNet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zoose
New Poster

Re: Working from Home Successfully with HughesNet

Hughesnet has a page devoted to "Working from Home Successfully with HughesNet." Is this page intended to serve as amusing? Well, it isn't. With no other devices connected, this user was trying to conduct a Zoom meeting. The person on the other end repeatedly informed me that an alert kept popping up that my internet connection/broadband was low. At the same time, my screen repeatedly reminded that my internet connection was poor. The person also informed me that there was a very, very significant lag between my voice and my lips moving. With my business, that is a definite hindrance, as conducting business is impossible! Furthermore, this all transpired during off-peak hours. It seems that this community exists to serve as a "venting hole" where dissatisfied customers can express their frustrations with no hope of any resolutions while customer support offers input intended to imply that the company genuinely cares (right:/) We are trying really hard to find posts of satisfied Hughesnet customers with virtually no success. As a new customer, I now have a crystal clear understanding as to why Hughesnet requires a 2 year contract: without that commitment, they would be losing customers left and right. What a shame they don't have enough confidence in the quality of their service to not have to impose such a binder.

20 REPLIES 20
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

nt

If you were not able to interpret my message as a "cry for help/support" then you are not qualified to respond to messages. The message CLEARLY STATED the issue this user is having. Do not substitute your accusations for a lack of being able to solve issues, since you are fully aware that everything stated in that message is FACTUAL.

GabeU

A cry for help/support?

To paraphrase - I'm having a problem.  Before anyone offers any assistance, I'll mock this.  I'll mock that.  I'll mock advice.  I'll also mock the reps and others who may offer help before they actually do so, as they never help to fix anything anyway.   And don't try to act like you want to help, as you don't really care.  

vs.

I'm having the following problem.

Good luck.  I hope you get some help from the people you basically just mocked.  It won't be from me.  

Yes, they are the ones I want to hear from.

maratsade

"We are trying really hard to find posts of satisfied Hughesnet customers with virtually no success."

This is a tech support community, not a "I love my ISP" community, so people posting here have tech support issues. 

It seems you have issues with latency. High latency is to be expected with satellite internet and it's due to the laws of physics. Things that require low latency, such as Zoom, may not work well. 

"I now have a crystal clear understanding as to why Hughesnet requires a 2 year contract: without that commitment,"

2-year contracts are required by several ISPs, not just HughesNet.   It's a business model. The good news is you can unsubscribe at any time. 

Maybe you can find a different provider?

Liz

Hi Zoose, 

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. I'm sorry to hear this, I know that's frustrating when you're trying to conduct business. I ran diagnostics on your site just to be sure there isn't anything outstanding that I can address on the spot, but the HughesNet equipment is working well and currently delivering 32.88 Mbps in download speeds to the modem. We can address this situation for you; I've escalated your case to our corporate engineers for their input. I'll post back once I have news from them to share.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

I was completely unfamiliar with Satellite service until now. I have since learned that directly connecting my modem to my computer in my workroom would have resulted in a better Internet connection. When the installer was here, I informed him that I placed high value on the best connection in my workroom more than anywhere else in the home. I have since learned, even confirmed by people on your support team, that it would have made more sense to have the modem in that room rather than another because I cannot directly connect my computer to the modem. He never suggested that. He simply stated that it doesn't matter where the modem is placed. He was obviously in a hurry to get through the appointment and further evidence of this is that, rather than installing a new cable into the home, he used the OLD cable that was connected to my roof antenna, thus disconnecting that antenna. He obviously took the lazy way out. Again, I specifically asked what could be done to assure that I could have the best Internet service in my workroom. Even your support staff admitted that he did what he did in error. When I contacted your online support person, the individual ADMITTED that the installer was in error. When I stated that I wanted Hughesnet to fix their error, this representative declared that I would have to pay for fixing his error! I confirmed, even though it was the error of Hughesnet, you want me to pay???? The representative responded, "Yes." I want this error fixed and by a different installer within the next 14 days or I am leaving the contract

maratsade

"Leaving" the contract would mean you'd have to pay an early cancellation fee. 

See the subscriber agreement at http://legal.hughesnet.com/ServiceTermsAndConditions-current.cfm

The agreement also explains how to bring up grievances and explains the arbitration process. 

I am not paying any fee. Upon an initial complaint to one of your account executives, I have the right to end the contract, being within the first 30 days. I know my rights.

maratsade

Actually, you are in error. There is no 30 day grace period, as the contract beings as soon as you set up an account. Read the subscriber agreement.  I'm not an employee, by the way. 

From the agreement:

If you cancel after activation but before the end of your 24-month term commitment, you will be charged a Service Termination Fee of up to $400. The exact amount of the Service Termination Fee will be $400 for the first ninety (90) days after activation of the HughesNet Service. Thereafter, the amount will decrease by $15 per month for each month of active Service.  

I understand that you are not an employee. If you were, you would know the truth regarding this matter. Research ALL the terms and fine print and you will eventually see this:

If you cancel within 30 days of activation, no Service termination fees will be charged.

Yes, that is copied and pasted straight from the Hughesnet website.

Naturally, Hughesnet is not going to post this in more than one area for the purpose of not "overstating to their detriment."

Research your facts before jumping to false conclusions.

GabeU

@Zoose wrote:

If you cancel within 30 days of activation, no Service termination fees will be charged. 

That's old and hasn't applied for years.  It was also for the Recovery Act related accounts.  There is no 30 days trial or grace period.  The 24 month commitment is in effect the moment the service goes live.  

https://legal.hughesnet.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 6.47.03 PM.png

I am aware of the promise made to me via the recent phone call that transpired. Personally, I don't care which policies are old and which are new. Considering my specific situation and what has transpired, I would welcome this becoming a legal matter. It was you who said I wouldn't be getting any help from you, yes? Why are you contributing here? Go "help" someone else who wants your input.

GabeU

@Zoose 

I'm not helping you, nor will I.  I'm simply refuting your incorrect claim, both for this instance and for others who read this thread so that the proper information is known and available.

Refute somewhere else.

maratsade

You should really read the subscriber agreement.  

@Zoose wrote:

Refute somewhere else.

I don't need to. With one more phone call, Hughesnet is willing to let me out of the contract, regardless of what is written. 

Liz's responses are the only ones I am interested in reading from this point on.

Hi Zoose,

Thank you for your patience while we worked on your case. We're dispatching a different tech to move your modem and replace the cable. Please expect your local dealer to reach out and schedule an appointment.

Also, check your private messages (PM) in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your other concerns.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Zoose,

I see the tech completed his site visit yesterday. I hope you're seeing some improvement now. 

-Liz

Good morning Zoose,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz