Hughesnet Community

“Recent Degradation of Gen4 Speed Performance" Continued

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steven Easterbr

“Recent Degradation of Gen4 Speed Performance" Continued

My prior thread was closed ("Recent Degradation of Gen4 Speed Performance"). As a result, I am opening another new thread. After a year of slow speeds, in July, HughesNet
finally got my speeds up to promised levels... at least for a few
months.

Recently download speeds have been dropping well below promised levels. e.g., under 1KB this evening. I started logging speed tests tonight (the weather is fine) and my neighbor, whose service speeds parallel mine, has started checking his speeds as well. I will update this board on my neighbor's speed once he calls me back tomorrow.

See the attached to see what I am getting for download speeds under my "Pro" plan (almost $80 month). I have checked everything twice, did all the tests HughesNet will put eventually put me through again (when I do call customer service) and my equipment is fine.

I am requesting HughesNet to open a new case and once again fix this issue.
26 REPLIES 26
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Steven, just out of curiosity, what are you speeds like during the off peak periods, meaning pretty much any time other than around 5pm to 11pm or so?  Those speeds are most assuredly slow, but I see that they are all done during the peak period. 

Also, I'm not saying that your problem isn't valid, as it certainly is.  I'm just curious. 

Also, try to do at least some of your tests on the testmy.net site so that there will be a record that can be easily accessed by the reps.  I see that you have an account set up ( http://testmy.net/quickstats/MrChange ) and had done some tests with that account in February. 

Steven Easterbr

Liz,

Download speeds are as bad as ever.  Here are my St.Patrick's day evening speeds based on Hughes speed test (in Kbs not Mbs). I am getting about 95% less than promised. I will also try testmy.net and let you know.

Steven Easterbr

Tried testmy.net and received the following:

First Download was 636 Kbps 80 kB/s, secong download was 749Kbps

Details for second test:

...Download Speed Test Result Details ..:::Download Connection Speed:: 749 Kbps or 0.7 Mbps 
Download Speed Test Size:: 12 MB or 12288 kB or 12582912 bytes
Download Binary File Transfer Speed:: 94 kB/s...
TiP Measurement Summary:: Min 0.5 Mbps | Middle Avg 0.79 Mbps | Max 1.23 Mbps | 83% Variance
TiP Data Points:: 0.5 Mbps, 0.74 Mbps, 0.78 Mbps, 0.51 Mbps, 0.66 Mbps, 0.93 Mbps, 0.64 Mbps, 0.55 Mbps, 0.67 Mbps, 0.79 Mbps, 0.8 Mbps, 0.75 Mbps, 0.93 Mbps, 1.23 Mbps, 0.92 Mbps, 0.71 Mbps, 0.92 Mbps, 0.94 Mbps, 0.61 Mbps...
Test Time:: 2016-03-17 21:31:25 Local Time 
Client Location:: Lakewood, OH US...
Target:: Dallas, TX...
Client Host:: Hughes Network Systems ...
Compare:: 82% slower than client avg, 92% slower than host avg, 91% slower than city avg, 97% slower than country avg, 96% slower than world index 
1MB Download in 10.89 Seconds - 1GB Download in ~3 Hours - 13X faster than 56K
This test of exactly 12288 kB took 134.628 seconds to complete
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_11_3) AppleWebKit/601.4.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0.3 Safari/601.4.4 [!]
Steven Easterbr

Speeds are much higher but I have not checked recently. I will try to get to the day speeds this weekend and will let you know.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Don't know if the same for you Steven but the Hughes test often reports less than half my true throughput speed. I have pretty much quit using it for that reason and the Java issue, now I only use Testmy.net. I also have the NetWorx throughput meter on my desktop which shows the real time speed when running tests or downloading a file.
Liz

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the info, but I'm not seeing any results under your testmy.net account, "MrChange". It would be better to have all your results in one place: http://testmy.net/quickstats/MrChange Around the time you normally experience slow speeds, please run 3 tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem, spaced 5 minutes apart using the 12 MB test file. Then I can send those to our engineers who can see how your system is performing.

I'll send you a free token for the tests you've run and for these next 3.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!