Hughesnet Community

Recommendations by HughesNet for testmy.net file sizes with Gen5?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Recommendations by HughesNet for testmy.net file sizes with Gen5?

When speed testing at testmy.net, the recommended test file sizes for Gen4 are 12MB for download and 2MB for upload.  

What are the recommended test file sizes for Gen5?  Using the 12MB download file size for Gen5 will be too small as it will most certainly forward to something larger, and probably something so large it wastes data.  I've tended to use the 15MB size for Gen4, but I'm thinking that might be too small and end too quickly with Gen5.  With Gen5 I was wondering if the 20MB or 25MB size would be more appropriate.  Neither forward to something larger.  

As for the upload test, I've been using the 3MB file size and that seems to work well, but might the 4MB size be better suited?  

Thanks.  

15 REPLIES 15
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I personally stick with the 25MB file size as a minimum on Gen5 service plans... I will be updating the Macro soonish and hopefully Liz and Amanda would accept the changes...

Liz

Hi Gabe,

Good question, I would concur with C0RR0SIVE on using the 25 MB file for testmy.net tests. I'm checking with our engineers just to be sure they're in agreement.

Hm? Did you post something that's pending moderation, C0RR0SIVE? I just checked the spam quarantine and there's nothing. ?_?

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Shush woman~! >.>    Honestly by default Testmy.net goes from 12 to 25 on the download test, you can pick other test file sizes, but have to take a different route to get those choices...  I have found 25MB is just large enough to keep the test from forwarding (unless someone gets above 50Mbps somehow) and give us good results with out consuming TOO much data.

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Shush woman~! >.>    Honestly by default Testmy.net goes from 12 to 25 on the download test, you can pick other test file sizes, but have to take a different route to get those choices...  I have found 25MB is just large enough to keep the test from forwarding (unless someone gets above 50Mbps somehow) and give us good results with out consuming TOO much data.

I figured either 20MB or 25MB would be the one, but the 20MB just seemed to finish a little too quickly.  I think I'll stick with the 25MB for now.  

I've started using the 4MB for uploads, too.  

Thanks!  🙂

Good morning folks,

Engineer confirmed that the testmy.net file for Gen 5 should be greater than or at least 25 MB for downloads. I didn't ask about uploads, but Gabe, you're right, 4 MB should be fine for testing upload speed, especially if 3 MB isn't an option.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

GabeU

@Liz wrote:

I didn't ask about uploads, but Gabe, you're right, 4 MB should be fine for testing upload speed, especially if 3 MB isn't an option. 

The 3MB size is always an option (when testing manually), but I figured since the upload speed of Gen5 is about twice what it is with Gen4, and the 2MB file is what's recommended with the latter, the test file should be twice the size.  

Slightly off topic,  but I attempted to sign up on testmy.net, and I get an error message saying Security was unable to pass or something...  does anyone know what that means, and how to get it to work?

I was just running some tests on my HN9000 system,  I did a few different download sizes, all results are around 7.5 Mbps.   I checked my remaining usage before, during, and after each test  and it does not seam to be using much if at all ANY usage on my System Control Centers Download Allowance Status page....  A 50 MB test only dropped 1 MB of usage....  I dont know if the Gen4 or Gen5 systems count all the usage from the tests.  

Also.... I NEVER see speeds that fast when I am downloading stuff,  my average is around 4.5 mbps... how and why does testmy.net show almost DOUBLE the speeds that I actually get??

GabeU

Sometimes testmy.net can have a bit of a problem.  When a problem similar to this occured in the past, what people got to work was, when going to the site, click on "Sign In" instead of "Sign Up."  Then, when on the Sign In page, click on the "Don't have an account?  Sign Up" option and go from there.  

I don't know for sure that this will work, but like I said, it's worked when they've had similar problems with people trying to sign up for an account.  

Also, when it comes to data usage, the meters have lag, so it most likely will deduct what you've used eventually.  

Perhaps you are just playing around, but a 50MB test for your system is a LOT of data to waste on a test that doesn't need to be be anywhere near that size.  I wouldn't use anything higher than 12MB for download tests and 2MB for upload tests.  

When it comes to differing speeds, it's possible that the servers you are downloading things from have different speeds.  I've seen many times where my speed is in the upper 20s, yet when I download files from Microsoft I'm lucky if I get a speed of 1Mbps.  Yeah, that large of a difference.  There are a lot of factors that can cause different file download speeds than the download speeds you can actually achieve.  

I was able to Sign Up going to Sign In first...  I also used Chrome instead of Firefox which may also been an issue.... With Firefox I was not getting the check box for "I am not a robot" crap!  

I know this is totally off topic, bringing up Chrome and Firefox, what browser do you recommend using with HughesNet?

My HN9000 System Control Center seams to not have a lag with Download Allowance (that I have ever noticed)  Maybe its because I have a daily usage limit.  Yes, I was just playing around to see if the speeds changed at all with the higher test,  and the lower amounts didnt show much data being used so I figured Id just see what happened with higher.  Its been almost 2 hours since I started running some of the tests and my Usage does not show any lower than it was after the tests were completed.  

GabeU

@wildcats198308

That's good that you were able to sign up.  It's much better to run the tests under an account as it keeps a record of them.  It makes them a lot easier to look at, especially for the reps or engineers if there is a problem, and they request the tests to be done under an account.  

I use Chrome, but to each his/her own.  Really, any of the major ones will work.  I don't think any browser is recommended over any other for Hughesnet, but people have their preferences for what they use for various reasons.  Even though Chrome is notorious for tracking, I like it, anyway.  I used to use IE exclusively, but it started getting a little buggy, and when they said that IE11 would be the last and Edge, which I don't like, was taking its place, I went to Chrome.  

As for why your meter isn't refelecting your speed test data usage correctly...you got me.  I have no clue.  🙂

I always liked Firefox, but with their last several updates it seams to be getting worse.  Their security settings are blocking way too much needed information from what it seams.   I myself always liked Chrome also but I like clearing history and everything when I close the Browser instead of going in and doing it manually every now and then.  With Chrome I do not think they have the option to delete on close. 

If I am not mistaken, you can change the shortcut parameters of Chrome so it goes to incognito mode... Which saves nothing to the HDD...

Liz

~_~

...just let me know if there's something pending my action regarding your macros/posts. I want to be sure you all aren't getting canned for spam still for testmy.net stuff since the system should be learning to avoid that.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Oh, well... I owe you an apology... >.> Sorry 🙂

I see/saw nothing in either the waiting or rejected sections so far today. 🙂  Thanks for taking time to work on that stuff.

Liz

No worries, thanks for testing and breaking stuff for us, then telling us all about it so we can improve. 🙂