cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for next version of Usage Meter

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

Re: Recommendations for next version of Usage Meter

Maybe better off with left and right scales to make both easier to see. Something to be said about comparing burn rates in the first one, too.

hstory1.jpg

hstory2.jpg

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
JodiAgosta
Spectator

Hi Mark,

Do you know if they are going to add back the hour by hour graph. I just moved from Gen 4 to Gen 5 and I am seeing a major data drain but I don't have a way of telling who or what is using the data. With the old graph I would go to when the data was use then run around asking everyone what they were doing at that time and on what device.  Now I have no way of knowing even that much. 

Thanks,

Jodi

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

@JodiAgosta

I've made the suggestions and offered the code changes, but not heard either way.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@JodiAgosta

If you start a new topic in the "Tech Support" section we may be able to help you to figure out what is draining your data.  Different devices utilize different apps/programs that can help to do this.  Because it may take a few question and answer posts, it's best to do it in its own thread instead of trying to do it here.  

While in the Tech Support section, click on the "Start a topic" button on the upper right.  You should choose a lable for the post, which you can find on the right side of the page.  In this case, data management would be the label to choose.  Just click on it and it will add that label.  In the post, make sure to list what devices you have connected so we can recommend the correct apps/programs to install or how to utilize apps/programs that may be preinstalled.   

Good luck.  Smiley Happy

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
dfbeck
Junior

As I just NOW got my new Usage meter going I'm all for what you have suggested. I dislike not knowing how close I am, day to day, or hour to hour, to going over my allotted data especially when it resets at the beginning of the month. The current meter is less informative and so far, has been grossly inaccurate, an issue I never had with the old meter. Best of luck getting it changed. I'll push for it.

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

The usage donuts are accurate for today.

The history is also accurate for days prior to today.

The only accuracy issue is using history graphs for today which aren't regularly updated. That withstanding, the Usage donuts serve that purpose for the current day's usage. So I don't understand your hyperbolic description of 'grossly inaccurate'.

'Not as precise' would be a much better description, since that is what I was going for... in fact, I used the words 'resolute' and 'resolution' on purpose so accuracy wouldn't be called into question.

dfbeck
Junior

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, one of these shows I had over 100gigs on Sept. 11 and I have 30 left of Service plan?  And I had more than 50 gigs of Bonus. Screenshot (3).jpgHughesnet Meter2.jpg

The other meter is close to what I think I have left. Each time I open the meter it reads differently. It appears to have added the 7.3 gigs of tokens I bought sometime ago. Let me know if I'm reading this bottom one wrong. I have to start a thread on another topic. The Control is unreadable and I don't think that's an exaggeration either.

dfbeck
Junior

I shut down the computer with the meter and when I restarted it I started the meter again. This is what I call grossly inaccurate. I'd love to have that much data left but I know it's not true. I'd like to be able to trust the meter.

Hughesnet Meter3.jpg

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

Did you think about checking it against what My Account says? (hint: it's the same thing, you're probably just not reading the stacked graph correctly).

What you think you have doesn't matter. It only matters what Hughes thinks you have.

That said, what does this have anything to do with the topic of how to display the data?

Never mind... I probably shouldn't have asked.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@dfbeck

Make sure that when you are looking at that graph you position your pointer on the last date to get the most accurate current data (the graph is always a little behind current (by an hour or so?)).  When you move the cursor to other dates it will reflect the data remaining at that time.  Like in the first of your pictures it's showing the data remaining as of the 24th, whereas the second is showing the data remaining as of the 11th, which, of course, would be higher.  

In the first picture below I positioned my pointer on the green dot corresponding to the 7th, whereas in the second picture I positioned my pointer on the green dot on the 25th, and the data remaining for the two dates chosen is correct.  The current date is always a little behind on this graph, as it's reflecting what I still had an hour or so ago.  It's off by about 100MBs, and I downloaded about 100MBs worth of stuff in the last hour or so.  Currently I have about 10.3GBs remaining, not the 10.4GBs that's shown in the current graph (Sept 25).  

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro