Indeed, the history loads only the first time it's run for the day - one of my recommendations was to use current data from the Usage 'tab' to update the current day's data in the History 'tab'. My prototype does this now, but doesn't update the download/upload amounts because that split is not tracked during the day.
Now that makes absolutely ZERO sense. It didn't update, but it was refelcting what I had used up until 8:59PM, verified against Glasswire. That 209.1MB total matched what I had used through that time. None of it was from yesterday, which also matched to yesterday's Glasswire.
I'm going to continue to check, as there's no way it could have counted anything when I first turned it on as there was no usage for the 24th up until that point. None. So that 209.1MB is from today, after I had started up and after I had first checked the meter (checking my remaining data).
Do you mean the first time one checks the history?
Edit. My online usage just went up to 247.9MB. Five minutes ago it was still reflecting what the meter was.
Do you mean the first time one checks the history?
That's may be more accurate.
Okay. So it appears that the meter's usage only reflects from the first time it is looked at (the usage, not just the meter in general), whereas the online usage (on the myAccount site) updates on a more regular basis. My online usage is now reflecting my correct usage to about five minutes ago, but the meter's usage is still stuck where it was.
I wonder if resetting the modem would update the meter's usage tally. I might try that in a few minutes.
Reboot didn't matter. The meter's usage tally is still the same, reflecting what it did when it was first looked at.
But, again, it appears that the online usage tally does update, though I don't know how often. I'm going to keep checking it. It updated around 10:24PM, from what the usage meter's tally was showing, to what was current. We'll see how long it takes to update again.
Well, I stand corrected. The usage graph only reflects what has been used up until the point of first looking at it in the Usage Meter on that given day. The online usage graph, OTOH, does seem to update once in a while. How often, I don't know. Took over an hour to do so for me.
Hopefully they get it to a point where the usage tally is shown in realtime, just like one's remaining data.
I have two computers side by side and one I set up to just flip back and forth between the meter and the graph. From 3 am to 6 pm, neither updated. I don't know where it was reading data useage from but it had to be early since it only showed 155.6 megs used. That never changed even after several dozen Youtube videos. I can't say I care for that at all. As I described, on the 11th I ended up allowing two updates and didn't know until the next day that 17+ gigs had been used. That's really a near useless means of tracking data. You won't know you've far exceeded your data until it's too late.
In the process of checking remaining data I just found that it DID up date from 10/24 to 10/25 indicating I had used 2 megs. I have never seen it update before! I watched this all day yesterday and the data on the 24th matched the data on the 23rd. What's up with this? Is there some prompt that causes it to update or is it just random? Someone has to know how this works.
Here is how I'm estimating that I won't exceed my data if I limit myself to 1.3 gigs per day. Pretty lame, huh. I couldn't find a photo editor here if there is one. Anyway, I'm going to try to find out what's up with the updating, or lack of it. I want to be able to tell if I'm exceeding before I do it. I don't know about everyone else but now I know what I'm looking at, I don't particularly care for that aspect.
I don't know if I over looked it or it had not updated but my data usage yesterday was 2.2 gigs which is over what I can use to avoid exceeding the service data. I could almost swear that yesterdays usage was reading the same as the day before, as if it had not updated by 3 am this morning 10/25. It's possible I overlooked it but I doubt that. I've been watching it hour by hour. I also used the meter in My Account and it may update but it never did during the time I watched it, about 3 hours. I finally had to shut it down since I had too many pages open. Does anyone else have a relatively slow loading time for either email or this Community page, like 40 to 50 seconds to quest the login page and then another 40 or so seconds to open them? Doesn't sound like a lot but as I keep geting booted out of the Community page it's annoying.
I too am not pleased with the latest releases of the various HughesNet meters.
As mentioned previously there are five meters in total. Three are "usage" meters and two are "History" meters.
#1: The SCC meter found within the Modem at 192.168.0.1
#2: The Download Status Meter found as a download from the MyAccount page
#3: The MyAccount meter seen on the MyAccount main webpage.
#4: The "history" meter as part of the Download Status Meter
#5" The History display found as part of the MyAccount webpage
Of the five meters the most accurate and up to date is #3
This is the meter that calculates your data usage and is used to update all the other meters.
For clarity it is this one:
Here you can see data used and data remaining for both service plan and bonus periods.
When I need accuracy, that is the one I use.
In addition I suggest using a personal router that tracks data per device. I use an Asus RT-AC3100 running the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.
It provides usage per device per day:
Statistics for all device in total and hours when usage occured:
It also displays usage and hours for a single device plus which applications were active:
I seldom have a need to use the HughesNet meters to manage my data.